1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Review (Taking another whack at it)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Squishybrick, Oct 16, 2014.

1. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

There is a difference between a negative review and ill-informed review.

If i say, when I keep a pot on a stove and I touched it and burned my self. That is an ill informed review.
    The same as listing a known bug in nightly which will get fixed in a future branch prior to release.

The only point which was not ill-informed was he didn't like the music. As that is a matter of personal taste. The others are simply issues which have yet to be rectified.

Serenity likes this.
  2. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

lol I know what you mean, I stopped making jokes as much as I used to.

3. Blackfangx

Blackfangx 2.7182818284590...

So you're free to flame him, based on the fact he's reviewing the actual stable patch and not the nightlies that most cannot play? Actually, the fact you feel you CAN be justified to flame someone is the real problem.

Until there is a stable patch, our current patch is the grounds for review, not the nightly or "it'll be fixed someday." But my post was more directed at dogging him then anything else.

4. Believe it or not -- but the members of the moderation team are not omnipresent. Chances are -- if you haven't reported an infraction of the rules -- then we probably haven't seen that infraction. That's the only bottleneck for inconsistency. So if you see rule-breaking, please use the report function.

To reiterate, people are not being punished because -- well, no one reported anything (surprisingly) AND because a lot of people here haven't really done anything (yet) to be warned/banned for. When it comes to rule breaking, moderation doesn't care what your opinions of the game are. The idea of bias comes from the fact that we have to put down a lot of people who happen to also dislike an aspect of the game. People generally happy with Starbound don't tend to say... flame the devs in their review threads/posts for example.

That's not what @xxswatelitexx was saying at all. Your interpretation of his post is tainted. You may need to reread that or step away for a bit and come back with a clear head

Well here's the problem; Because of the time between updates -- anyone who has been following dev blogs and nightly knows that the game will change drastically in the next patch. Feedback for the current stable is fine and all, but it's almost rendered completely moot when most people know very well that the next patch will usher in whole new sets of standards that the game has to be tested and reviewed by.

Now, for everyone. @Blackfangx is right in regards to the thread's vibe. If you can't be respectful when posting -- don't post. Reel in the attitude and sass, guys. Or I'll have to lock the thread up and possible hand out more warnings.

CaptThad and M_Sipher like this.
  5. Squishybrick

Squishybrick Phantasmal Quasar

My review was.. Well.. A review.. I don't think once did I ever jump on someone's back for how they responded to that.. My issue was how the game was being treated, and the bugs.. I make a big deal about the bugs here because I feel this would be the best place to place something like that..

IS there a bug submission form or way I can directly contact the devs to tell them about a specific bug?.. Remember, mods aren't omnipresent and NEITHER are devs.. If you expect them alone to work out the bugs of this game you're gonna have one heck of a buggy game that'll take a heck of a long time to even out..

That's one of the best lessons I learned when making games.. If you alone are the only person testing your game for bugs, the final products gonna have a ton of obvious flaws, because one person, even a team of people, when dedicated to the same project, will ALWAYS miss something that one random player might find instantly..

Speaking of which, I found 2 new bugs playing the game a bit more.. (aside from the snow-tree bug I gabbed on and on about)

1. The "bunny alter" which is occasionally found in avian tombs (The ones with the pits of sawblades) is, for some reason, unbreakable.. Sometimes if you hit the right spot it'll shake like it's being broken, but still won't break.. The identical "head alter" breaks just fine when being hit with a pickaxe or block-breaking tool,
    so I know bunny alter probably supposed to be as breakable as the head alter.. The only way I've seen to break it is to break the ground blocks below it, but that's not breaking it, that's causing it to be displaced and turn into item-form..

2. Certain trees' leaf color does not correspond to the seed item icon's color.. It might just be a single species of tree with this bug as far as I've seen.. I harvested two different colors of the same species of tree, which had little pods on the tips of branches instead of leaves.. One was bright yellow, the other was green..
    The yellow tree dropped a seed with a green leaf-color on the icon, and the green tree dropped a blue leaf-color icon seed..

I'll be back in a bit, since I haven't re-grown these trees, because if it turns out the planted seeds actually grow into different color trees, then the bugs definitely bigger.

6. Squishybrick likes this.
  7. Squishybrick

Squishybrick Phantasmal Quasar

Thanks, I'll post my bugs I find there.

EDIT: Yay! They caught the leaf bug I mentioned, and you were right, the already knew about the other bugs.

Effort! Honest to god player-to-dev contact.. All my tribbles on this thread have officially been deemed pointless
    since this counteracts pretty much everything I've said. I eat my words, I eat them all up!

*om nom nom nom nom*

Having a direct line straight into the heart of the player community gives them a front-row seat to any real bugs happening in the game.. Now knowing that they have this front-row seat, I feel much better and more faithful that (whenever it appears) the update will contain just as much important bug-fixing as it will fancy new content..

This might be starbound's edge over minecraft and terraria if they play their cards right..

If minecraft had this kind of dev-to-player interaction, "the end" would NEVER have happened..
    As for terraria, the devs are even worse about being distant with the players, even going a little step
    overboard with their dev-only content in the game, which just reeks of suspicious arrogance...

Maybe the creepy $1000 player-statues the devs promised are a good thing.. But I STILL think that whole idea's
    just kind of "off"... I'd rather turn them into human NPC's much later in game, with their own quotes they picked
    As dialogue, or name a weapon after them..

But whatever, that's all just opinionated poopy, the game is getting the attention it deserves, and I'm happy.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014