Modding Help Altering "S.A.I.L." text in ai.config

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by AmazonValkyrie, Jan 26, 2015.

1. AmazonValkyrie

AmazonValkyrie Spaceman Spiff

For my mod, the S.A.I.L. that I chose would not be considered artificial intelligence, and so in keeping with the lore I wanted to replace the title and subtitle so that instead of referring to the AI as "S.A.I.L." "Ship-based Artificial Intelligence Lattice," in the AI's window (attached image), it would state something of my choosing. Is this possible to do so for a specific race? I wasn't sure if the command "op":"add"(or "replace),"path": would do the trick or not. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Whale Cancer

Whale Cancer Big Damn Hero

You are going to want to edit 'interface/ai/ai.config'

Should be self explanatory once you look at that file.

3. AstralGhost

AstralGhost Pangalactic Porcupine

@Whale Cancer I don't think you read the whole question, guy.

TC: No, sorry, you can't make it race-specific. What you see is what you get. It is just one name for every race.
    You'd think the Devs would make it race-specific since it is just text, like they make several other parts of the text, but it seems they are a bit inconsistent about these things.

AmazonValkyrie likes this.
  4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Just rename the top Window to something Generic like - Ship Computer Monitor.
    The dialog can be race specific which is found in
    Code:
    unpacked / ai
    Not in interface folder. That would be only the title.

AmazonValkyrie likes this.
  5. Whale Cancer

Whale Cancer Big Damn Hero

I guess you couldn't have multiple aiconfigs (e.g. aiapex.config) that are called by different iterations of the ai computer object, then?

6. AstralGhost

You know, I hadn't even thought of checking that. I simply assumed it was all hard-coded into the game.

So I did check on this. There are indeed race-specific "techstation" objects. However, they all call the 'AI interface' and like all other interfaces almost all of the scripting and such is hard-coded into the game.
    So that was a good idea - but no, I looked and you can't do that either.

Edit: Unless there is some interface work-around I don't know about?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  7. The | Suit

All this effort just to change the title of the interface?

8. AmazonValkyrie

AmazonValkyrie Spaceman Spiff

lol Yes, it seems minuscule, but the S.A.I.L. I developed for my Viera mod is of their spiritual mother and guardian known as "The Wood" to the Viera of Final Fantasy lore. The S.A.I.L. serves as a guide post for the player, so I knew my choice was befitting for the race, as though part of The Wood's essence were implanted into the ship. So that's why I would prefer her to not be referred to as an artificial intelligence in the window for this species, but it may be something I have to live with, and that's ok :p Thanks for all the info, guys!

9. AstralGhost

You caught me. My ulterior motive is to learn things. I feel guilty now.

Dunto and Whale Cancer like this.
  10. The | Suit

Considering what you said earlier though.......