Modding Discussion All I need is one good artist.

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Jonesy, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I've been meaning to create a race mod based upon a suggestion of mine (see here). I'm already working with @Dunto, but we need an artist to really get things together.

What we're looking for;
    - Experience with pixel art / sprite frames. Some static sprites have been made for the race, which may be used. Alternatively, new ones can be made from scratch.
    - Being able to work with sprite sheets is preferable, but not a total necessity
    - An affinity for concept art would be highly useful

If you're interested, leave a post here and we can have a chat. If we take you in, I'll set up a conversation and we can take it from there.

Beatrice likes this.
  2. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

Well I have some experience, I've been using mainly pixel art for the games I've been making so I know how all this stuff works.
    When it comes to concept art I'm not really good, but when it comes to creating pixel art based off of concept art I can do just fine.
    So yep I'm certainly interested! I could use some practice with spriting anyway for when I get back to making my own games as well :p[DOUBLEPOST=1411552834][/DOUBLEPOST]Although I think I should mention I'm very out of practice, which means I may not be capable of making too much pixel art, so you may want to consider having someone else first.
    I'd still be glad to help any way I can, but I may not be very good when it comes to being the "main" artist.

Jonesy and Beatrice like this.
  3. Jonesy

Well, I'll certainly keep you in mind! We can always get you to do some "secondary" sprites for things like furniture, while another artist does characters and equipment. We'll have to see who else comes forward.

Feathery Dust and Beatrice like this.
  4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

As I mentioned with other species mods. Its better to start up on the code now and worry about sprites later. You can easily switch out the art work the second they are done. This will get a lot of the work out of the way - and dealing with JSON code takes about 10 minutes at most to understand.

5. Jonesy

Dunto has already set up a race of placeholders. We're at a point now where we need to start replacing the placeholder assets with the proper ones.

6. The | Suit

Beatrice likes this.
  7. Jonesy

Yeah, I was beginning to think that. I'll try the art request thread first.

8. The | Suit

How is the Hunt for the Red Octartist coming?

9. Jonesy

Nothing yet.

10. The | Suit

That is sort of sad.. Probably around stable release time there will be a more flurry of activity. You maybe able to to take advantage then.

11. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

Seeing no one else has volunteered I think I should mention I'm still willing to assist.
    Also I've had a bit more practice since then so I should be capable of doing a lot more than just side stuff now ;)

Beatrice and Jonesy like this.
  12. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Don't give up Jonesy! I'd love to help out myself, but my own poor mods are getting neglected as it is...

13. Ixantir

Ixantir Ketchup Robot

I'd be willing to lend a hand as well.