Modding Discussion Additional Vanity Hat Items, and more?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Kitaen Silva, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Kitaen Silva

Kitaen Silva Phantasmal Quasar

((Please, if I've posted this in the wrong section, I apologize for not really knowing where else to put it. Also, since this is my first topic on the Starbound forums... I write a LOT, and in as much detail as I can muster, so if you're prone to "tl;dr", I'm afraid you're going to have a bad time with any post I make. I [try] to include a "tl;dr" section at the end of my more lengthy posts in most cases, but sometimes I forget. Sorry.))

Alright, before anyone gets too invested in this topic, I'll just get it out there: I have absolutely zero knowledge or experience in coding or Starbound modding.

That's not to say I wouldn't be interested in learning at some point, just for the sake of new knowledge and whatnot, but as for practical usage, I know there are people in the community who could do this far better than I could ever hope to, so by the time I'd learn how to code and then produce a mod, it's already be outdated and sub-par to the works of other members.

So this is more of a request, or suggestion, than anything else. It is addressed to anyone who feels that they could take this idea and run with it.

So, I spent all day yesterday combing through all thirty-six pages of mods, coming out the other side with just short of sixty total mods. I have them all installed and running quite nicely - some of them required me to poke into player.config, others required me to poke into other files, but all in all, they're running very smoothly on my low-end machine. If anyone wants a list of what mods I'm running, I can post one up in a bit, but for now, I'll continue...

Sixty mods. Give or take, anyway. I have racial mods, content mods, and a single ship mod. Not very many of them actually produce much by way of vanity or decoration items, though, with the exception of a small few.

And then it occurred to me that I was wanting certain features that I couldn't have, because such a mod didn't exist, and likely wouldn't exist for a couple years, so rather than sit and twiddle my thumbs while hoping someone out there has the same ideas, I'll simply produce the idea(s) for anyone who can make something happen with them.

Firstly, I do a lot of roleplaying, in various forms, mostly through text or other online media. Usually all it takes is some creative writing to really make a character shine, but in other media you have to be able to put together an actual appearance, especially with games and the like. In order to play a certain character, you have to arrange your character's appearance to closely reflect that of the character you're trying to act as, but a lot of times the items you would need simply aren't there, and they're prominent items so you can't very well play that character without them, so you have to turn around and scrap that idea, maybe never to think of it again.

For example; I'm thinking about doing a sort of visual story that has me making videos in Starbound, probably with a few friends. Unfortunately, I can't play as the characters I normally would, and that means I can't actually move forward with this idea until there's more possibility with vanity items.

Currently, things I would suggest are items like various kemonomimi (animal ears) and associated tails. There's someone out there who already has a cat tails mod, which is fantastic... now if only there were counterparts to it for a variety of other things. Hairbands, hair clips, ties, even something like alternative expressions and/or vanity particle effects (sweatdrop, hearts, confusion stars, angry vein(s), paralyze "shivers", etc.), or dramatized status effect vanity items.

Something else that would be very useful for in-game cinematography... would be potions or a station that can transform a character into another species (Either permanent or temporary), as well as a means to change the colours of things like hair, skintone, and basic clothes. Surely in the future they would have some sort of booth or pod that you could step into and completely overhaul your visual appearance, yes~? Or at the very least, some questionable genetic concoctions that alter appearance when imbibed or injected?

I saw elsewhere a wig mod of sorts that sounded like a good idea, but in practice was a little difficult especially for longer hairstyles. I wished that it worked a bit more smoothly in itself, but maybe a good alternative would be a "Hairdresser's Chair"? A seat that you pop into like you would for the Captain's Chair, but then a dome drops over your character's head, and brings up a GUI that allows you to change your hairstyle and colour in-game, with styles that unlock as you come across and speak to NPCs that have them? (Human with a Floran boufon, anyone?)

What about an ability to beam NPCs up to your ship, as well as the ability to beam them down to a planet? This way, if you want to manually colonize your homeworld with a diverse populace, all you have to do is go out and persuade NPCs to come back with you. There might be some sort of boon to going through this trouble, perhaps in that if enough NPCs congregate, they'll start to build their own town or city, where you can buy just about anything you need as some of them set up shop? Alternatively, if you have another mod installed that gives you a bigger ship, station, or the ability to build a bigger one yourself, one might be able to take on NPCs and assign them to rooms or sections, as well as give them various ship duties, such as Inventory Manager, Fuel Manager, Mechanic, Navigator, Comms, Sensor Augury... So many more things that could be done with NPCs.

Please feel free to make what you will of these ideas, and have fun with them if you opt to roll with one or all of them. Credit for the ideas would be generous of you, but isn't necessary - just have fun and make something neat~!

TL;DR:
    >More vanity items
    >Suggested ideas: animal ears, animal tails, additional hats, etc. etc.
    >Vanity "theatrical effects", such as more expressions and other ways of expressing emotion
    >Enhanced NPC interactivity, such as being able to teleport them to or from ship and planet(s), manual colonization, etc.
    >Character appearance stations, such as a "Hairdresser's Chair" and/or "Genetic Alteration Pod" for in-game changing of looks

End of post.

Everything following this point is more of a personal request, and can be ignored or skipped over unless it happens to interest you.

Oh... but if any of you make a set of grey mouse ears and tail for vanity items, please send me a message because that's what I'm really, really, REALLY after right now. I'm designing a character - and eventually a series of story-like videos - around this character here... so, super-awesome bonus points if there is a full hair + ears and a tail item, and even more bonus points if you recreate the entire outfit as a vanity set and / or her dowsing rods and pendulum / pendant.

If you want to give function to some of the items...
    While equipped with the dowsing rods in the L or R slot, and a world-generated material in the remaining L or R slot, using the dowsing rods will cause the crystal pendulum to appear somewhere around the character or hotbar. If you're aiming the rods in the right direction, the pendulum glows bright, but if you're aiming in the wrong direction, it fades dim and even disappears. Likewise, the closer you are to the sought-after material equipped alongside the dowsing rods, the brighter the pendulum, but if you're not even close to such a material at all, the pendulum might not even show up. The rods are comprised of iron, but are quite large and might consume 20-30 bars, with a hefty, mid- to end-game sum of pixels. Since the pendulum comes with the rods, an additional recipe component would be 5-10 crystal, with some sort of component that gives it "power". I haven't made it beyond Tier 2 yet, so I don't know what a suitable "power" item might be just yet. The rods' design is simplistic - both rods are an overall [ L] shape. One rod has an [ S] for "south" on the long end, and an [ E] for "east on the short end. The other rod has [ N] for "north" on the long end, and [ W] for "west" on the short end. When being used for dowsing, the short ends are grasped, and the long ends are pointed forward as if the rods were vastly oversized handguns held akimbo.

Image of full outfit, actual-size dowsing rods at rest or inactive, and pendulum in full view (Do note that her skirt and overshirt are supposed to be a medium grey, not black, and there is supposed to be a wicker basket on her tail instead of or along with the black ribbon on it.) :
    [​IMG]

Less accurate image, but shows the dowsing rods in an "Active" state, as such would be seen when dowsing. The rods are unfortunately about a quarter of their proper size in this image, but it was difficult to find art of her actually using them properly. (Though this image does have the tail basket, which is an actual part of the tail design as opposed to the ribbon in the image above... though if you want to include the basket, it'd be nice if equipping the tail to the back slot would provide an additional inventory page...) :
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  2. fascka

fascka Master Chief

I will try :) (the outfit for your character )

Kitaen Silva likes this.
  3. Kitaen Silva

Kitaen Silva Phantasmal Quasar

Woo, really~?
    I'm excited to see how it comes along~! Will these items be compatible with modded races, as well? (Mostly because I default to using the Ningen race mod.)

4. fascka

fascka Master Chief

I will try but I´m also making a force field mod. Also your art is pretty good you could help me out with the graphics