June 3 - More random shields progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Jun 3, 2014.

1. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

OmnipotentEntity submitted a new blog post:

June 3 - More random shields progress

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Aer_, Tamorr, Weyen and 5 others like this.
  2. IvoryOwl

IvoryOwl Pangalactic Porcupine

Wait, so shields break now? How do we fix them? At a forge with the specific ore type we used to make them?

3. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Hm particle effects as visual indication of a perfect block or burst? No big letters telling you have blocked 9001 damage? No big letters and epic voice on rank up?

Ok that was obviously satire. I like the visual indications as you described them, its slides more into the slit of the game and feels alot better when seing your shield burst/break whenever you block too long too much damage. And pretty much willing to see now the particle effects of perfect block ^^

They dont break in the meaning of bursting apart. Think more like your character cant hold the shield anymore because the shield is made out of... hm... lead or so (doesnt make much sense but cant think of anything better atm) and he has to put it down, rest a little and then can put it back up again to protect himself. Kinda a simple but working balancing mechanic.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
  4. IvoryOwl

It doesn't need to be of any special material (and ins't lead toxic to start with? :p). Like I said in the other thread, it just makes more sense if our character simply can't hold a defensive stance indefinitely - blocking attacks can be tiresome so I see it as stamina, rather than shield endurance.

5. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Lead = toxic if you manage to get it somehow into your body, yeah then its pretty deadly. Lead and a vast majority of its compounds.. Pb(C2H3O2)2 (Lead-II-Acetate) tastes like sugar. Yeah I think thats kinda the explanation for "breaking". Your character breaks down because he cannot hold the defensiv stance anymore... well thats what I think of it when reading about regular shields bursting when receiving enough damage/taking too many hits. However if there are energetic shields or those made out of living material (florans could have those) then it would be fitting kinda that they break and regen slowly

Starsly likes this.
  6. Lintton

Lintton Guest

This just in: Starbound snubs Daigo! This will surely hurt their chances at EVO next year!

/sarcasm

7. Capt_Electron

Capt_Electron Big Damn Hero

It's quite possible to get a large quantity in your body at which point it can be quite "toxic". The unit of measure used is Caliber and often comes in sizes like 9mm, 45, 40....

Jonesy and Scaletoucher like this.
  8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Ever played Dark Souls?

When you block, you lose Stamina (which is also used for running, jumping, rolling and swinging a weapon).

If you run out of stamina while blocking, your character gets driven back a step and his shield arm gets flung backward and he's dazed for a second, during which your only defense is trying to move backward, or wait a second and roll to evade an incoming attack, but you can't block anything else until you regain some stamina.

I imagine when he says "breaking", he's referring to a mechanic similar as this.

9. IvoryOwl

... Thanks for echoing my opinion, such a shame you didn't read my second post though, because that's exactly what I told the other guy.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  10. JT`

JT` Phantasmal Quasar

I'm confused about the logic behind not being able to block a stream (like fire breath) if you perfectly time your block. That's the stuff of genre fiction all the time -- 'the warrior would have been slain but for his ability to bring his shield up and hide beneath it as the dragon's hellfire coursed around him' etc.

In short, a perfectly timed block ought to be more than capable of blocking a stream... of the same attack type. Another stream from another source, on the other hand, ought to continue to reduce the blocking timer. All that would need to be done is to give particles the source entity if they don't already have it, and allow a perfect block to continuously perfectly-defend against a continuous stream from the same entity, but with a small delay built in where the perfect block is then lost if the attack ceases. Any other entity providing another stream, or any other attack, would then reduce the timer as normal -- but the original perfect block would continue to persist against the same entity until the benefit is lost due to cooldown.

Or is the exploit only possible when absorbing the initial impact on your person, and that this is indeed the actual behaviour if timing the block against the shield?

11. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Hahaha true, and probaly accelerated to a relativly high speed and maybe even a tiny explosiv charge at its tip. Sure in that form lead(alloys) are deadly.

Though there are already some bullets without any lead in their metal/alloy casing... rather splintering into a few dozent parts on impact... really nasty shit...

12. Assaf

Assaf Void-Bound Voyager

Cool. Thanks and a have a good day.

13. extremist

extremist Existential Complex

I honestly don't even know if I'm gonna be using shields at all, but the concept seems really cool.