22nd February

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 22, 2014.

1. mollygos submitted a new blog post:

22nd February

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. kithsakhai

kithsakhai Big Damn Hero

hmm... in order?

-lightdrones
    -XS mech mod
    -Stimlab
    -Future Mining Tools mod
    -Cloning
    -BalancedTechCrafting
    -Avali race mod
    -deconstructor (mainly because there really isnt a use for the hundreds of thousands of blocks from mining you get, ever, why not turn them into pixels at a fair exchange)

and (though somewhat redundant if starbound gets its own modular ship system)

-Madtulips ship mod (far more balanced imho than other custom ship building mods, very expensive but very versatile, and adds a lot of 'flavor' items to place to make the ship unique.

IvoryOwl, SamGanji, Danacia and 25 others like this.
  3. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

Colorbound
    Dyeing bucket
    XS Corporation Mechs
    Extended songbook
    Every one of Quatroking's Instruments *mainly the famitar* (removing the abc files afcorse)
    Most of the Variety is the Spice of the Universe Biomes
    Wasteland Planets Mod
    Improved Asteroid Fields
    AnTiMonster
    Okea
    Persistent Farmables
    Starfoundry

all of these, every single one is a must

every single one of these is not immersion breaking and fits into the game perfectly

edit: there i even put hyperlinks into them, just please add them in =D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2014
  4. coldReactive

coldReactive Scruffy Nerf-Herder

5. azurestone

azurestone Subatomic Cosmonaut

The Ammo Overhaul (MMN)
    Felins (And associated Object Description addon mod)

Those are really the only two mods I even use, The Shadow-Casting Lights Mod is also very nice, and could be included, though I suspect what it does is already planned, just not implimented yet, without options to modify it so people with lower end computers can run as it is, but better ones can have the full "Scary caves of scary" effect SCL has.

Holgast, Theguru1020, Exxil3d and 3 others like this.
  6. black_lug1a

black_lug1a Scruffy Nerf-Herder

avali, avian feathers, colourbound and some nonlinearity please

7. coldReactive

8. Borgius

Borgius Tentacle Wrangler

I want to see a stable server! without restarts 10 times a day

9. ThatMadCat

ThatMadCat Phantasmal Quasar

I'm not sure of the full names, but from what I've seen around the web...
    Mechs
    Okea
    Collectable figurines

killpay likes this.
  10. TheSpacePenguin

TheSpacePenguin Master Chief

Tiy was also going to add some mods in furious koala, any information about what mods were added, and were they?

11. JNod123

JNod123 Seal Broken

I would like to see creative mode added.

hoplar, SamGanji, Theguru1020 and 5 others like this.
  12. Whirlwindjon

Whirlwindjon Void-Bound Voyager

I recommend the following

Seraphi's COLORBOUND mod
    G3rman's Tiered pixel mod
    JTE's Persistant Farmables

None of those change gameplay radically and are in my opinion great choices for a future content patch.

13. Zugunder

Zugunder Orbital Explorer

I think mods "feel" themselves good enough. I mean, i can download them if i want. :)

FrozenOrange, Sitanel and Vanthexi like this.
  14. Iznano4nik

Iznano4nik Big Damn Hero

Tower defence mod! :metroid::metroid::metroid:

Ashton_Gilley and Denninja like this.
  15. sunkilledme

sunkilledme Orbital Explorer

i would love to see implemented in starbound star wars mod, but i suposse that you might have some troubles with disney,
    i would like also the okea, mechs, lightdrones, colonies mod...

16. Cell Materia

Cell Materia Cosmic Narwhal

dyeable armor

sentient cell materia

Dragonrider6911 likes this.
  17. coldReactive

The problem with that though, is that mod devs may not update, and future starbound updates may break them. If they are added to Starbound itself, then they will be updated along with Starbound (as well as any balance fixes / etc.) Some of the mods though add things that Starbound will have in the future, such as Shadow Casting Light, Novakids+ and others. You can see this with Minecraft and its horses. The horses in Minecraft are actually not developed by the Minecraft developer team, like, at all. They're developed by the Mo'Creatures developer.

Yeah, Disney likes to pounce instantly on Cease and Desists.

HawK3yLV likes this.
  18. Tryana

Tryana Void-Bound Voyager

Okea, Extended Songbook, More Zoom Levels, Colourbound !

19. hiseki

hiseki Aquatic Astronaut

1. Avali - they're an interesting race that the creator has put a lot of time and energy in fleshing out. Creating a backstory and history to as well as creating their own custom weapons and armors that actually look quite nice. Unique but not op... Except maybe the shield but I never used it much. Overall though I could see the Avali as a problem race to add into the main game since they are unique from a sprite perspective. But even so, they're a really popular race, perhaps even more so than even Novakids are. On top of that they are cute fluffy space raptors... Seriously, that's about the second best sci-fi term in existence. The only thing better is, cowboys and hookers in space.

2. Madtulips ship mod - again, another case of the mod author putting a lot of time and energy into creating a unique mod. Don't get me wrong, the damned thing has it's share of problems. But overall it's an interesting take on ship design. Still, if Starbound adds their own ship modifying system then this would be a redundant one. Also, the mod comes with Bases in a Box which again is a good mod to have in it's own right. The ability to have something like a mining base set up on the planet you're on that you can just throw up and then deconstruct would be invaluable for a lot of the late game ideas Starbound has in mind.

3. Electric Home Defense Mod - okay so for this one it's kind of simple in it. It adds electricity pretty much, in the idea of gathering energy and using it for certain tasks. That's really one of the best parts about it... That and creating a trap ridden maze to watch my friends die in repeatedly cause they couldn't beat my gauntlet. Still, despite the ability to turn us into megalomaniacs the mod adds something that I haven't seen in other mods which is power and power management. Yes it uses the whole wiring system which there needs to be a tutorial on cause I had to learn the hard way about max distance and hooking one battery up too many solar panels.

4. Industrilization - this is one of those mods that's a really good idea in premise but needs a bit more to make it really good. One of the things I really like about it is being able to grow metals and gems by planting corresponding seeds. That in and of itself is hella futuristic sounding and really cool... If boring to wait to grow. But while it has that, it also has all the other things such as the various machines and what not. All of which during early game kind of seem... Well, useless for the most part. Until you get the Bio-Gen lab. Then they're all useless except for a few. Still, it has interesting ideas and could be great if the tools and machines could affect more than just the mod... Like their carbon drills.

5. Survivalist - last one. This one honestly I like on it's first two tiers alone. Instead of starting with a fully functional ship and a (broken) sword you start with... Nothing what so ever. Which is scary enough but your ship is also a piece of junk. Not anywhere near enough space in it to do anything except maybe suck on your thumb inside while in a fetal position whispering for mommy to come save me from the big bad monsters... Sorry about that, flashback to my first play through of it. Anyways, Survivalist and ISE are both mods that have a bit of the same problem. They have some really great ideas that would be great, but need some work to make them even better... And less fetal positiony... Just saying.

And that's my top five mods I'd like to see in Starbound... But wait, there's one more.

Bonus level 6 - Persistent Farmables - okay... Why do I have to mention this? Seriously, why. This shouldn't be something that requires a mod to fix but a bug that should have been fixed a month ago at the soonest. But hey, shit happens. This is a mod that really should be added to the main game, just on a mechanics stand point it's pretty self explanatory. Unless you add in ships that can have an entire farming deck, people will be putting crops into the soil... Then they will go to other planets to mine out because some nut job decided to make Starbound planets have finite resources(that's a joke, laugh). So when people go to said other planets they generally hope to come back to full grown crops of delicious foods to eat and consume in joyous celebration that they weren't eaten by a mangator... It's disappointing to see the crops not being grown.

hoplar, Carter X, Danacia and 8 others like this.