Glowing Plants and Wildlife

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by St Fonz, Jun 13, 2012.

1. St Fonz

St Fonz Existential Complex

Hi Everyone,

So I was thinking about the ol' glowing blue mushroom caverns in Terraria. I love coming across them underground and it would be great to see something similar in Starbound. In addition to this, glowing native animals on certain planets would be cool. Something like that would be my first choice for a pet.

Let me know your thoughts, criticisms.

Thanks ~

Hosfae, toby109tt, Maxim1109 and 17 others like this.
  2. Duex

Duex Cosmic Narwhal

I loved those glowing mushrooms, and the idea of glowing animals is pretty interesting, A glow-stick type animal that lights up when hit, or maybe just a planet of glowing penguins.

I like it.

3. Apparently irl, there is a type of squid that lives at an incredible depth, which sees off predators by dazzling them with a jet of bioluminescent goo. I would love to see something like that in the game.

Also, I very much like the basic idea. There are a fair number of glowing life-forms irl, so there's no reason why they shouldn't be in Starbound. Everything from fireflies and glowing mushrooms to luminous varieties of virorbs and poptops could be included, adding a lot of visual variety to the game.

4. Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

Well, why not? We already have light system, plants, animals and whatnot, combinging them shouldn't be really too hard and it would be a nice lil thing to make the game interesting. Although I hope no one will go overboard and worlds where both fauna and flora are commonly biolumiescent will be very rare.

Evinagro likes this.
  5. St Fonz

St Fonz Existential Complex

I couldn't agree more. Rarity would make it more exciting to find in game. Glowing pets could potentially be used as a light source underground, another reason why they should be less common. (Wouldn't want torches to become obselete.)

Evinagro and SuperWillieD like this.
  6. SuperWillieD

SuperWillieD Pangalactic Porcupine

Now I dont want a penguin pet. I want a GLOWING penguin pet. Good idea, cookies and likes for you. :cookie: :cookie:

7. Magikarp

Magikarp Void-Bound Voyager

YEA like the planet could have no natural sunlight, so everything generates its own light!

Chucklehead and SilverCwit like this.
  8. Madosuki

Madosuki Pangalactic Porcupine

I love softly glowing objects.

Like that bug lite over there...

9. Vizendel

Vizendel Pangalactic Porcupine

I want a blinding plant, that'd be cool, throw it at something and it's blinded, or blind yourself.

10. SuperWillieD

SuperWillieD Pangalactic Porcupine

plant? why not add an "e"? A planet that you cant even see anything on unless you have special equipment!

Airclaw likes this.
  11. Your Shadow

Your Shadow Contact!

Deep in the ocean, where everything is pitchblack, except for a large glowing light in the distance. It's glowing a soft blue, dragging you and other fish to it, you go to investigate. Once you get up close, what you see is a MASSIVE ANGLERFISH. You don't get away in time, your breathing tank is running out. The anglerfish swallows you whole!

So, maybe glowing wildlife/lights could also attract other wildlife, and so in an underwater glowing mushroom/coral area you can see lots of fish, compared to out in the ocean.

12. Hap818

Hap818 Pangalactic Porcupine

This would be cool. It could be like Pandora at night in Avatar

I<3Terraria likes this.
  13. SkeithRei

SkeithRei Subatomic Cosmonaut

This sounds pretty sweet. I would love to have a luminescent cat :3 Meow

14. DevilForce

DevilForce Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Maybe there should be a planet called ''Pandora'' for a part in the main quest, full of luminescent plants, animals and of course Navi. Would love those horses and Pandora version of those dactyl as my pet :p

15. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Bio-Luminescence is one of my favorite things to see in fictional wildlife.
    I would like to see a planet with no atmosphere and a dead surface, but just under that there is large pockets of life where the inhabitants have made their home around underground plants that emit bio-luminescence.

16. Dahoga

Dahoga Phantasmal Quasar

I really would like this idea!

Now I posted in a few other threads and kind of formed some larger ideas. Along with some underground biomes with glowing plants, why not add Dark-sides to planets and have whole biomes dedicated to these glowing plants or animals? These plants/animals could flinch or cringe due to bright lights present in their biome (such as waving your flashlight of DOOM) and the plants could withdraw like these sea anemone!

King Leonidas and JonSnow like this.
  17. RussianComrade

RussianComrade Void-Bound Voyager

Possibly a planet whose orbit has decayed? Sounds coolio.

Or even a planet with no light at all, mole creatures?

18. Dahoga

Dahoga Phantasmal Quasar

Why not. Even falmer could live there! :rofl:

RussianComrade likes this.
  19. Saith Umbrae

Saith Umbrae Aquatic Astronaut

Would be nice if some of the glowing stuff blinks or changes color like hell torches in Terraria. Constant glow is so much less atmospheric :)

Taylor likes this.
  20. Evinagro

Evinagro Cosmic Narwhal

Ahh yes, planets that have been flung out of orbit and are stranded floating through the cold vacuum of space.

Dragrath likes this.