If a player is LeftHanded may he or she be able to configure the Keys for better playing experience?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Mango-Leader, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Mango-Leader

Mango-Leader Poptop Tamer

I am new at starbound, the game is so carefully thought, I can put up with the crashes and bugs, no problem, however; This thing of not being able to configure the keys have made the game play for a left handed player a pain the the wrists. So, how about adding control configuration panel in the settings area...?

MysticMalevolence and Starbug like this.
  2. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Good idea dude. I support that too. There should be an ingame option for this.

You can do it by editing the config file.. Infact the link is at the top of this very page.

Any problems lemme know. I helped a few of the left handed minority get them setup.

3. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

You can already configure the keys by changing the .config file in your Starbound folder, and IIRC an in-game way to change the keybindings is on the way (eventually).

Dunto, Ixmore and Mango-Leader like this.
  4. Mango-Leader

--- Alright, thanks for the feedback...

5. Hmmm. I'm not sure I understand the problem. Can someone explain this to me? I too am left handed, but don't seem to be encountering any similar issue

6. Mango-Leader

Well, the thing is that the game settings should have a tab for assigning our preferred key configuration

7. I agree -- I'm just a bit confused to how it pertains to being left handed.

8. Starbug

Starbug Guest

I'm left handed too. Is what you really mean that you conformed to the right handed overlords WASD?

Sad days for the left handed (directional arrows FTW) master race.

The underlying problem as far as I am concerned comes from this :-

http://imgur.com/LgT7Yfv

The config file is an ugly workaround and actually quite non-intuitive. The tutorial leaves in the keyscan code which creates even further confusion (is the right thing to put in the plain text or the numerical value?)

I know how to do it now, but it was a learning experience, as I am pretty crap at techie stuff and all round not very clever.

9. is it particularly difficult to use WASD for other left handers? Is that what I'm missing?

10. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Yes, that is what you are missing. While it might not be difficult for left handed brains to wrap around a control scheme they've spent their lives avoiding. It's something that a lot of us (since I clearly don't speak for every left hander) want / need.

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather spend the time making my left had press the right keystrokes in the Raindrop Prelude than training my brain to work with WASD, when it's going to be used for this one game only, and only until that GUI is in the game.

That's why I didn't bother with nightly. With the frequent config errors and having to redo the bindings again (and again.. etc..) it got old fast.

11. Ah, ok -- that makes more sense now, thanks. I guess I've been doing the right handed way all my life -- but everyone else I know who is left handed is the same. I guess I never thought twice about it.

12. Sremaj

Sremaj Phantasmal Quasar

I am also left-handed but have not had issues with the set up... Is this something where a left-hander is using the mouse with their left hand and their right hand is assigned to the keyboard? That would be a little weird.

bluecollarart likes this.
  13. yeah, that appears to be the issue. Need the rebinds to make the directional buttons act as "WASD" so the left hand can be free to utilize the mouse

Sremaj and bluecollarart like this.
  14. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Yes. I've always used a mouse left handed.

15. bluecollarart

bluecollarart Big Damn Hero

It seems like we won't get keybindings for a while because somehow that's more difficult than one might think. I wonder if, in the meantime, it would be possible to add a left-handed option that would toggle on a different control scheme? It would probably be a worthwhile addition to the game in the long run, anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'm usually against adding in a million different option toggles just to suit different people's preferences, but I feel like handedness is something different than just a "preference".

16. Kerriganne

Kerriganne Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As a fellow leftie I haven't had any issues with this as I played another game early enough in my life to train me with the WASD ways before I was aware that there was another option and by the time I was aware of that, WASD was more comfortable for me, and even now, my main MMO uses WASD and I play the same way as a right-handed person even though the game does have options to swap it for lefties.

That being said, That is something that would be nice to see in Starbound. I know how hard it is to try the other way of doing things from what you are used to, and it's not comfortable, so I support this fully even though I wouldn't use it. =)

17. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Moved to Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help. As has been mentioned, you can rebind practically all keys/buttons in the next patch (or Nightly builds) by editing starbound.config. I understand that a GUI for keybinding is planned and will be included eventually; it's just not a top priority right now.