Stardew Valley FAQ

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by robotop7, Nov 24, 2014.

1. robotop7

robotop7 Aquatic Astronaut

Stardew Valley –This is just a quick reference for those new to the game. It is no where near complete, and I would love for everyone to help me flesh it out.

Intro-At first glance, I fell in love with the entire concept of this game. I have been an avid fan of harvest moon, and desperately wanting another game like it. So in lea of having anything else to do, I decided to compile a FAQ for this game out of all the information I could find. This is just an easy guide to find out everything we know on the game, without having to look at different sites. Most of the information here came from the dev updates, and videos I have seen on the game. Please help me refine this with any information you may have.

Media- First things first, here is a list of all the Stardew Valley videos I could find. Note that some of them were done years ago, before he updated the graphics.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4IYbC5o-a-A -new
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO1gjnmgKAM -old
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDYmc2iGaOM -old
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owJXpv5LxVs –interview
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVALzDWjqoU –old
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJggZec6qqo –old coop
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IScDPwk9OCE –animals
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFF-eBrzusM –fishing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATXNK2xWZO4 –preview
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pS0yK3UEGA –buildings
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SypZiNSYhAg -caves
    ------

Main character- Can be customized with different skin colors, hair and hair colors, shirts, accessories, as well as changing the colors of your eyes and pants.

Ex. http://stardewvalley.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/unfinishedCharacterSelect.png

Main character can find and equip rings and boots. Boots providing armor against the enemies in the caves, and rings providing buffs to your character, or special abilities.

As you perform certain tasks during the game, your character will be able to level up six different areas. Farming, Mining, Fishing, Foraging, Combat and Luck. You can gain up to ten levels in each skill area. For most skills each level will open up new crafting recipes, or power up your tools. At levels five and ten however you will have the option of choosing special perks. Refer to dev update #11 for a visual.
    ----

Hud display- On the top right there will be a profit display, showing you how much money you have, and reacting accordingly the instant you lose or gain money. This corner will also show the time of day, and I believe what day it is.

Toolbar- Along the bottom of the screen will be a toolbar with ten slots. This is where you will store your tools and crops etc... that you are wanting to use.

Energy bar- On the bottom right there is a stamina bar that shows you how much energy you still have for the day.
    ----

Music- Concerned Ape is the only guy developing this game. He is making all the music for it as well. Each season will have multiple songs that play during each. Including special songs for caves, dungeons, and certain events. He has several of the songs available to listen to. Please check out the dev update 16 to hear them all.
    http://stardewvalley.net/dev-update-16/
    ---

Mines- The mine in the game is said to have over 100 levels to explore in it. You can get to each level by finding a ladder on that level to take you down. You can also build mine elevators that will act as a fast travel to different levels of the mine.

In the beginning of every game, the mines, and dungeons are procedurally generated and will never be the same.

Dungeons will have unique monsters, and will be filled with treasure if you can make it all the way through it.

Geodes- found in the mines, they are hard stone eggs that may contain minerals inside of them.
    ---

Fishing- Involves a mini game where you try to keep the fish inside a bar that moves up and down in order to reel it in.

Variable casting distances depending on how upgraded your pole is.

Baits that entice certain fish, or make them hit more often etc…

Bobbers that affect how difficult it is to reel fish in. Makes catching larger fish easier.

Bigger fish sell for more, and the largest fish of each species will be recorded for you.
    An ex. Of the baits and fish.
    http://stardewvalley.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/fishingItems.png

You can also bait and place crab pots. Returning after a night to see what you caught.
    ---

Festivals- Festivals will happen in every area of the game, and while going on, the player will have the chance to play games, shop at booths, or show interest in your love. There will be at least two festivals a season.

Egg festival- Everyone gathers in town for a celebration of new life after a long winter. The festival concludes with an egg hunt.

Flower Dance - The townsfolk congregate in a secret meadow to feast and socialize. The young people pair up and participate in a time-honored tradition, the “Flower Dance”. It’s your chance to show a special someone that you care… just hope that you don’t get rejected!

Luau - The summer luau is one of Stardew Valley’s most beloved events. The beach is decked out with tropical adornments and a huge buffet is provided for everyone to enjoy. The Regional Governor makes a special trip each year to see what the valley has to offer… something that Mayor Lewis takes very seriously. The highlight of the luau has to be the potluck soup… a huge, simmering cauldron full of ingredients provided by the community.

Dance of the Midnight Jellies - On a warm summer night every year, the midnight jellies pass through Stardew Valley on their long migration home.

Harvest Fair - A celebration of the harvest season. Artisans, farmers, and craftspeople alike prepare exhibits to show off their hard work from throughout the year. A panel of judges awards medals to those with the most compelling displays.

Haunted Maze (The strange hermit who lives in the forest set up the maze alone. He wouldn’t let anyone near it until nightfall. What kind of uncanny power is at work here?)

Stardew Valley Fair (Play carnival games! Set up your own grange display and try to win the judging competition! Have your fortune told! Win Star Tokens and trade them in for rare prizes!)
    -----

Npc’s- Attention may contain spoilers in the manner of back stories.

Each npc will have four different portraits. Consisting of Neutral, Angry, Enraptured, and another emotion which I guess would be sad.
    http://stardewvalley.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/new_portraits6.png

There are ten people that you will be able to flirt with and marry. Five women, and Five men. Same sex relationships are allowed. There will be five events you go through during the dating time with whatever npc you chose. During these events, you will be able to chose how you respond to the npc, and even change how the event unfolds all together depending on what you chose to do.

Harvey- Doctor of the town.

Clint- The blacksmith who for a fee will break open geodes you have found in the mine for you.

Gunthar- Curator at the museum. By donating artifacts to the museum, he will reward you with treasures, and let you arrange them on display there any way you want.

Mr. Lewis- Mayor of Pelican Town.

Abigail- Abigail lives at the general store with her parents. She sometimes fights with her mom, who worries about Abigail’s “alternative lifestyle”. Her mom has the following to say: “I wish Abby would dress more appropriately and stop dyeing her hair blue. She has such a wonderful natural hair color, just like her grandmother did. Oh, and I wish she’d find some wholesome interests instead of this occult nonsense she’s into.” You might find Abigail alone in the graveyard, or maybe out in a rainstorm looking for frogs.

Haley- Being wealthy and popular throughout high school has made Haley a little conceited and self-centered. She has a tendency to judge people for superficial reasons. But is it too late for her to discover a deeper meaning to life? Is there a fun, open-minded young woman hidden within that candy-coated shell?

Maru- Growing up with a carpenter and a scientist for parents, Maru acquired a passion for creating gadgets at a young age. When she isn’t in her room, fiddling with tools and machinery, she sometimes does odd jobs at the local clinic. Friendly, outgoing, and ambitious, Maru would be quite a lucky match for a lowly newcomer such as yourself… Can you win her heart, or will she slip through your fingers and disappear from your life forever?

Leah- Leah lives alone in a small cabin just outside of town. She loves to spend time outside, foraging for a wild meal or simply enjoying the gifts of the season. She’s a talented artist with a large portfolio of work… yet she’s too nervous to display it to the public. Maybe you can give her a little confidence boost?

Penny- Penny lives with her mom, Pam, in a little trailer by the river. While Pam is out carousing at the saloon, Penny quietly tends to her chores in the dim, stuffy room she is forced to call home. She is shy and modest, without any grand ambitions for life other than settling in and starting a family. She likes to cook (although her skills are questionable) and read books from the local library.

Sebastian- Sebastian is a rebellious loner who lives in his parents’ basement. He is Maru’s older half-brother, and feels like his sister gets all the attention and adoration, while he is left to rot in the dark. He tends to get deeply absorbed in computer games, comic books, and sci-fi novels, and will sometimes spend great lengths of time pursuing these hobbies alone in his room. He can be a bit unfriendly to people he doesn’t know. Could a charming new farmer cultivate the wasteland of his heart? Who knows?

Josh- Josh loves sports and hanging out at the beach. He is quite arrogant and brags to everyone that he is going to be a professional athlete. Is his cockiness just a facade to mask his crushing self-doubt? Is he using his sports dream to fill the void left by the disappearance of his parents? Or is he just a brazen youth trying to “look cool”?

Elliott- Elliott lives alone in a cabin on the beach. He is a writer who dreams of one day writing a magnificent novel. He is a sentimental “romantic” with a tendency to go off onto flowery, poetic tangents. When he can afford it, he enjoys a strong beverage at the saloon. Could a humble farmer such as yourself be the inspiration Elliott is looking for? There’s only one way to find out…

Harvey- Harvey is the town doctor. He’s a little old for a bachelor, but he has a kind heart and a respected position in the community. He lives in a small apartment above the medical clinic, but spends most of his time working. You can sense a sadness about him, as if there’s something he’s not telling you…

Sam- Sam is an outgoing, friendly guy who is brimming with youthful energy. He plays guitar and drums, and wants to start a band with Sebastian as soon as he has enough songs together. However, he does have a habit of starting ambitious projects and not finishing them. Sam is a little stressed about the impending return of his father, who has been away for years due to his line of work.
    2 Children as of so far have been added to the town.
    ---

Items-

Slingshot- Load it with stones, ores, and more for a long ranged attack. This is only confirmed ranged weapon.

Sword- There are thirty different confirmed types of swords, including daggers and clubs I believe. These items will be used to fight monsters in the caves.

Hoe- Used to till the land. Can be upgraded in order to till more then one square at a time.

Axe- Used to cut down trees

Pickaxe- Used to mine in caves.

Watering can- Used to water crops.

Scythe- Used to turn wild grass into hay

Scare crows- Placed around farm in order to keep pests away?

Sprinklers- Used to make your day of watering easier

Well- I believe just used as a quick source of water for your watering can.

Fertilizers- Fertilizers can increase the quality of your crops, make them grow faster, or retain moisture so you don’t have to water the soil as often.

Tappers- attach to trees to pull syrup from them.

Crab pots- bait and place these in the water. Return after a night to find what you have caught.

Bombs- Used to clear areas in the mine, or kill enemies.

Torches- Used to create light at night, or in caves.
    ---

Craftable items- These are items that can be crafted, and placed wherever you want in the world. You can also change the layout of objects in your house as well as the wall and floor colors of your house itself.

Barrel-
    Scarecrow-
    Trashcan-
    Table-
    Chairs-
    Sofa-
    Stool-
    Paintings-
    Lures-
    Floor tiles-
    Fences-
    Gates-
    Lamps-

-------

Crops-

Sunflowers- Used to attract bees, or for gifts. Can be harvested for their seeds.

Fruit trees- Can be planted on farm. Takes one year for them to grow but then they produce fruit everyday during there harvest season.

Pumpkins-
    Corn-
    Eggplant-
    Wheat-
    Orange-
    Turnip-
    Red cabbage-
    Pears-
    Garlic-
    Parsnips-

---

Animals- Each animal raised on your farm will need to feel some affection from you in order for them to produce the highest quality product. They can also be butchered for their meats.
    Keep your animal happy (and maximize production) like so:
    o Pet once a day
    o Make sure she has enough food
    o Let her outside if the weather is warm
    o Make sure she is secure at night
    o Purchase a heater to counteract the unhappiness of being inside all winter

Seagulls- I believe they are just an npc, and can’t be raised.

Cows- Can be raised, and harvested for their milk, or meat.

Chickens- Can be raised, and harvested for their eggs or meat.

Pigs- Can be raised, and harvested for their meat.

Sheep- Can be raised, and harvested for their wool?

Goats- Can be raised, and harvested for their milk?

Rabbits- Can be raised, possibly as pets, or for races?

Monsters- Many different types of creatures lurk inside the caves of Pelican town, such as slimes,
    ---

Buildings- I believe every building can be entered in this game, along with a minority of them that can be altered to suit your preferences. Buildings can also be bought, and built anywhere you decide to on your farm.

Some buildings can be upgraded like coops, and barns. This will grant them extra perks like incubators, and auto feeders.

Coop- Place to house chickens.

Bee house- Houses bees, and can make flower specific honey if placed close enough to the desired plant.

Barn- Place to house larger animals like cows, pigs, goats.

Bath house- Setting for events, place to relax, possibly regain stamina here?

Arcade- Inside saloon, place for young people to hang out.

Fishing shack- Located on the docks. Place to buy and sell the fish you catch, along with bobbers and lures. Place to upgrade fishing pole.

Saloon- Place to get drunk with the townspeople.

Community center- Used to be the heart and soul of Pelican town. Now it lays in shambles. Part of main quest to upgrade this place and restore it to glory. It is divided into six sections. The pantry, art studio, fish tank, vault, bulletin board, and boiler room. It will take bundles in order to restore these rooms and with each room restored, it will make a positive change to the map. Bundles consist of items needed for each area, for ex. You might need certain lures and fish for the fish tank to be restored. If you can restore the community center, then joja mart will move out of town.

Joja Corporation- The “Walmart” of Pelican town. They have moved in and are the reason the community center is destroyed. You will have the opportunity of helping joja company thrive and letting the community center be removed from town. You will be able to gain the positive changes that the community center would have given you by helping joja as well.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
      Ferrettomato and Phlox like this.
    • Ferrettomato

Ferrettomato Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Organizing all of the community's knowledge about the game is definitely worthwhile. I do hope that others who enjoy tirelessly combing through the Stardew Valley blog, as well as ConcernedApe's Twitter and such (although he hasn't used that in a while), can help compile as much public information as possible. I have a few suggestions that came to mind when I read this:
      1. Mr. Lewis has been said multiple times to be the mayor of Pelican Town (i.e. Mayor Lewis).
      2. The Fishing Shack is for buying bait (and possibly fishing rods/bobbers), as well as for selling the fish you catch.
      3. At no time, in no place, has the popular superstore we all know and love ever been called "Wal-Mart". It's "Walmart". That just bugged me.
      4. Try to avoid using phrases such as "possibly" and "I believe" as you make more edits. Your information should be definite, not speculation.
      Thanks for making an effort to explain what we know of this amazing game.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
      • oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

ell the storyline isn't cut

• Ferrettomato

Oh yeah... woops... outdated information. Ignore that. At first, ConcernedApe said that he might cut the Joja storyline. Personally, storyline option 2 is the only one for me.
          Ferrettomato crawls back into his corner.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
          • Kab00mBaby

Kab00mBaby Pangalactic Porcupine

kudos mate!

• Serkette

Serkette Void-Bound Voyager

Heres a photo of Sam Walton, Founder of Wal-Mart, wearing a company hat that states "Wal-Mart" not "Walmart".
              [​IMG]

• Ferrettomato

Well, whaddyaknow. But nonetheless, the official website says Walmart, so I'm sticking to it.