Has there been any talk about fully developed planets?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Arkitech, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Arkitech

Arkitech Pangalactic Porcupine

Just curious if there will be any planets where the majority of the world is developed with streets, transportation, cities, apartment buildings, numerous shops, arenas, etc..

And of course it would be cool to be able to build something similar as well. And maybe with the addition of big cities there could be city specific enemies instead of the typical wildlife. Maybe thieves, gangs, terrorists, etc..

Vsuchinoko likes this.
  2. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

While it sounds awesome in concept I don't think that will be all that viable until the engine undergoes some serious optimization. Lag for some people gets unbearable in dungeons so a planet of the stuff would likely reduce everything to slideshows

Vsuchinoko likes this.
  3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

You've got those hub world thingies, but I don't think they take up an entire planet.

4. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

The outposts. No they don't take the whole planet but they do prove my point given how laggy they are

5. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

They have talked about huge city biomes, though.

Vsuchinoko likes this.
  6. If I remember correctly someone was working on a mod that adds a "City" biome. I know I saw a prototype screenshot of it at some point which looked amazing.

7. CaptThad

CaptThad Pangalactic Porcupine

'Create City Biome' in on their todo list for 1.0. Not sure if it'll happen or not, and no idea what it entails. They also mentioned player-built space stations, but no clue on what kind of scale.

The aforementioned Outposts are basically a large building with multiple vendors on a tiny asteroid. Kinda meets the 'vendor' requirement you posted.

8. Will Liferider

Will Liferider Ketchup Robot

A city biome would be awesome, but it would murder your frame rate

9. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I don't think it will be as good as it sounds. There is only so much you can do with a side scroller when it comes to open world exploration.
    If it was top down or isometric your options open up enormously. But side scrollers not so much.

10. Son0fgrim

Son0fgrim Spaceman Spiff

I've seen citywide planet worlds in mods.