Nightly and Unstable: which one?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by janovick, Sep 2, 2014.

1. janovick

janovick Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm playing always the standard, Vanilla, version of the game. Unfortunately, I feel like I'm just losing a lot of content this way. And since I'm a hell of a curious person...

1) Last time I tried to run it in both Nighlty and Unstable. Didn't work, but I just didn't feel like deleting a 200 hour main character + worlds, items, etc. Does any of these two branches now allows you toi play with without deleting your stuff?

2) In your opinion, should I just go play the Nightly or go straight to the Unstable branch? Is unstable very bad (crashes, bugs, etc)?

3) How long, in general, is Unstable being updated?

Please, forgive me as these are some constant topics, but since things are changing very fast I just didn't find a reasonably new answer for these questions.

Cheers.

2. Pyre

Pyre Void-Bound Voyager

Best Answer
    They intend to release a fix for player files when the stable branch is updated, but for now you'll have to backup and delete your player and universe files to play on the nightly build.
    The unstable branch was last updated on april 24, and the nightly branch is updated nearly every night, as the name implies.
    Neither branch is guaranteed to work all the time or with every mod.

In terms of content, there are a few new dungeons and biome types, but nothing really substantial in terms of gameplay.
    Also, the progression on the nightly branch is messed up, so you need to use admin commands to access most of the content.
    Nightly is really only for those who want to see the new features in development, so if you want a full gameplay experience, your best bet is to wait.

janovick likes this.
  3. outtasync

outtasync Void-Bound Voyager

yeah, but when the game releases, is your 200 hour main character and worlds, items etc going to even work with 1.0? You might have to delete them anyway, wouldnt you?

4. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Last Unstable update is a bit older (few days?) than last Stable update if I recall correctly. So there is no reason to play Unstable, as it's also a bit more buggier than Stable, which has same/almost same features.

There should be no character wipes anymore, so probably yes. I remember Tiy saying the old characters will be compatible with 1.0 somewhere, but I don't remember where was that.