1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed 100% CPU USAGE

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Nachoman, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nachoman

Nachoman Starship Captain

Why this game taking so much pc resources?

windows xp (sp3)
    amd athlon 7750 dual core 2,7
    2 gb ram
    nvidia GeForce 9600 GT (512)

2. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

XP?
    2 GB?

Excuse me while I try to laugh and not die of air starvation.

Starsly likes this.
  3. NecroNeko

NecroNeko Void-Bound Voyager

The game is currently very unoptimised, you might not be able play it properly for a long time with your current set-up.

This isn't exactly very nice or helpful, considering this is a subforum to help people, not laugh at their problems.

Seiran, BlastRed and Dust like this.
  4. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

I know, right? But I've seen so many people whining about the game lagging on slow computers, who didn't even see the magic word BETA, which would tell them a lot, that I can't help myself.

5. NecroNeko

NecroNeko Void-Bound Voyager

Except none of that is as helpful as just saying "It's unoptimised, older computers will have problems for the moment. Sorry."

Just saying "It's a beta, of course it will use all your CPU". is ridiculous.

6. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

So you whine at them instead, because that solves the issue.

The reason why people complain about it in the first place is because they can run a lot of bigger games pretty smoothly most of the time, except for starbound, a 2d game. They aren't really going to care if it is beta or not, they'll post about their issue anyway.

You'd understand if you would see how much a starbound server actually uses with 20 players online or so... It's hardly believable.

The game is extremely resource intensive atm, and something tells me that it is going to take very long for this to change. You should look around on the forums for tips to decrease resource usage and to increase fps.

7. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

If you're on a 32-bit OS AND only have 2gb of RAM, it is unlikely that the game will work well on your machine in the near future.

[Aside: If Chucklefish was able to drop WinXP completely from the supported OSes, it would be an easier task to get it running on more low-end systems, and faster on most systems.]

8. KestralB

KestralB Aquatic Astronaut

I have a pretty old machine, but with a decent video card.
    Everything is fine, until I try to jump into a dungeon with tons of animated decorations everywhere. Then it's 100% cpu and dropped frames everywhere. >_<
    Still playable even then and hasn't crashed though, so good on them for that.

More options graphics options to save resources and performance optimizations in general will no doubt come eventually, but may be a lower priority for the team than new game content and features.

extremist likes this.
  9. Nachoman

Nachoman Starship Captain

its not an option
    if devs started it
    they must finish it

10. extremist

extremist Existential Complex

I agree, there should be a option to optimize the performance of Starbound.
    And yeah, they might not put it into the game anytime soon, but I'd love to run starbound a bit faster (My laptop is pretty outdated)

11. Tremendo Dude

Tremendo Dude Pangalactic Porcupine

In the meantime, one thing I was able to do to boost the performance of the game slightly was disabling the steam overlay. Hope that helps a bit!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.