1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Chucklefish Push Back The Release Date to 2014?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Spike, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike

Spike Supernova

Agreed. The beta could at least come out in 2013, however broken it may be.

Agreed. Though I think $1,5 million dollars can last them some time.

Agreed. The beta should come out in 2013. I've included that in the OP.

Agreed.

XRiZUX likes this.
  2. SeaMichelle

SeaMichelle Some Sort of Weird Fish Princess

Honestly, I agree with you that the game needs time to build and grow in the development cycle, but the problem is that now that they've opened preorders and collected a vast profit on that end, they simply can't afford to break a development promise. They've posted their deadline. If they can't make said deadline, customers reserve the right to request a refund. And because the team is living off of the money they've made, a mass refund would be devastating.

I realize fully that a lot of people wouldn't ask for a refund just because their game isn't ready in time, but the reality is, a lot of people still would. And, on top of that, Chucklefish would be losing supporters and fans (which they're doing already) but good or bad, you need people in order to be successful.

Again, I totally agree that if the game needs time, give it time. But, not everyone thinks the same way and a lot of people will be VERY upset if they don't hit the deadline.

LeifGram, Pingeh and OTKren like this.
  3. Spike

Spike Supernova

I know that feel. My grandma had to get an entire kidney cut out of her. She's still healthy, but having 1 kidney would leave her frail at times.

Man, you guys are Friendly, Friendly individuals! This forum is awesome!

4. aytimus

aytimus Master Chief

No beta before months and no game till 2014 ? Chucklefish smell fishy?

5. ArcLight

ArcLight Subatomic Cosmonaut

Off topic: You left for a reason. Go play another Fantasy MMO instead. I'd suggest Guild Wars 2, it's even F2P, so you can try it before you commit any money to anything. WoW will always be there if you change you mind anyhow.

Also, regarding Starbound, I see no reason why people would NOT play other games waiting for a new one to be done. I'm sure there are plenty out there you can game/try if you like. Personally, I've got my back-burner library to deal with...

Marokutai likes this.
  6. SeaMichelle

SeaMichelle Some Sort of Weird Fish Princess

Replies like this are EXACTLY what I was talking about in my post...

7. Middleman93

Middleman93 Star Wrangler

I'd like to at least see the beta in 2013, but I'm not going to go demanding a refund if I don't. I only spent $45 on supporting this game, worst case scenario that's a couple movies I can't go see in theaters. The devs have my support regarding whatever decision they make regarding release, including should they deem it necessary to push release back to 2014.

Samiz and SeaMichelle like this.
  8. Spike

Spike Supernova

To be honest, nothing was promised. They estimated the release date to be 2013, but I'd be happy if they released only the beta in 2013, and the full game in 2014 so that they'd have time to just take some days off, and do others things that they want to do.

Marokutai and Autzome like this.
  9. StarshiyLeytenant

StarshiyLeytenant Cosmic Narwhal

My phones auto corrct changed beta to began but you got the point. And to bring fair, and not to sound entitled, we were promised something by the end of 2013. I myself will disappointed if they can't keep this deadline, but i won't be mad. I can't say the same for the rest of the community though

10. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Absolutely not. If they do, they have lost a customer and I'll find the game via other means.

LeifGram, Pingeh and OTKren like this.
  11. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

Let me add, I think your jumping to abit of a conclusion from Bartwe's post Spike.

I really doubt a full team of developers is at all stressed out. If you'll remember their working on weekends on funprojects for this.. that doesn't scream worried at all about getting it out this year to me and likely are marching along to their own internal timeframes for release this year, just fine. ;)

12. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

Can we just stop with these sort of discussions honestly? It's pathetic to see people crawling all over the release of a game like this myself included.
    I've had my fill and so should have any other active people here in the Forums. Spike I'm usually like 95% on board with most things you say and do here and I have a fond respect for people that can post here without needing to be arrogant about their opinions, but this topic has been discussed into the ground. Let Chucklefish work on their game if they have to push it back people are going to get pissed sure, but at the end of the day shit happens. Elaborating, discussing, and arguing over details that we have no power over is just going to make people angry like the last few Threads.

C'est la vie

13. DrBob3002

DrBob3002 Big Damn Hero

All I know is that if we don't have a beta by the end of 2013 I'm done waiting for Starbound and going to try to get my money back. I am NOT a patient person but my patience has been godly waiting for this would be masterpiece.

Kish and aytimus like this.
  14. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

We aren't going back on this, there will be a 2013 beta, but not soon.
    Its only been 3 months, no indie game preorder or kickstart is that fast.

15. Spike

Spike Supernova

Eh. You may always get a refund if you want. Some guy just got a $500 refund earlier, and the devs barely batted an eye.

16. Malvolio Portius

Malvolio Portius Pangalactic Porcupine

I never left WoW, Guild Wars 2 didn't work out for me. I tried many other games and WoW just feels like home. Now when Wildstar come out, oh baby...

On topic: However Pushing the date back to 2014 although how it will not bother me, others will be. Then again I'm patient, I kinda learned that lesson through the last two World of Warcraft beta's I opted for. (Only got into one.)

17. Sapling

Sapling Scruffy Nerf-Herder

No! they must live on energy drinks and snacks so we get what we deserve!

In all truth, as long as it's a good game; 2014 is reasonable.

18. Raybrandt

Raybrandt Jackpot!

Have we not had enough of these shitstorm-based threads?

Please, cut it out.

And for the record, my opinion is 'I don't care because I'm incredibly patient'.

Marokutai likes this.
  19. DeadlyGamer5

DeadlyGamer5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Mine didn't sadface :<

OT: It doesn't matter for me. The only problem for me is i just finished high school and don't have much to do, except wait, so weeeeeeeeee. :rolleyes:

20. Spike

Spike Supernova

Well, can you at least push the full game release back to 2014? I feel that you haven't done anything you wanted for a long time, and I think you deserve to just take days off, and relax in your own ways ,without having to worry about touching a computer.

tassina likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.