Will servers require forwarding ports?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by werty11109, Jul 30, 2012.

1. werty11109

werty11109 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would really like to know if servers will require forwarding ports. Thank you!

YoungUnicorn and Noc like this.
  2. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

I hope it will not. Because i can't do that thing. :)

3. Nymz

Nymz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd like to know as well, because i'm unable to PF my Roadrunner Lightning modem. :lod:

If so, i'll just use Hamachi like I did for Terraria and Minecraft. :whoop:

4. love doctor

love doctor Cosmic Narwhal

if it does ill just use hamachi i mean depending on how many players you plan to support it may or may not be a good deal or you could just use a bunch of free networks

also if you cant port forward for whatever reason theres always

hamachi
    game ranger
    tungle

other programs im forgetting

5. Hukasu

Hukasu Cosmic Narwhal

probably will require port forwarding

since almost all ports are closed by default, and the game just cant use the ports that are open by default because they are used by the system, its required to port forwarding

actually, port forwarding is quite simple, you only need to have access to your router config

6. Basically that. It's hard to have someone connect to your server if you don't let them in via ports. Also, some routers just won't port forward for whatever reason.

7. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Aww, that's unfortunate. Guess no multiplayer starbound for me at college I guess.

8. If you're on the same network, you can use your internal IP (192.168.x.x) and it (usually) works (example, I can host a server on my desktop computer and connect via my laptop using 192.168.0.101 as the IP address). That's what I'm planning to do in university with floormates. :p

9. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Doesn't help with people outside of the floor, but at least not all is lost [​IMG]

10. Hukasu

Hukasu Cosmic Narwhal

in the end, the best way is to find a friend that can port forward and host the server for you, its a win-win solution

11. Jenkins

Jenkins Pangalactic Porcupine

I found out how to port forward only a little while ago. It is quite simple, that is if you have access to the config by using the internal ip of your router. Keep in mind the internet usage as well, though.

12. Soprano

Soprano Pangalactic Porcupine

Forwarding ports is easy so I hope so. Who knows, there might be other methods though.

13. Soprano

Soprano Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm surprised a lot of you guys can't forward a port. Well... I couldn't for a while so I don't blame 'ya.

14. KuraiRyuu

KuraiRyuu Space Kumquat

I can port forward, but I have to ask my dad, can't do it myself. He has like 2 or 3 routers set up, all with passwords I don't know nor am allowed to have, so, heh.

15. Hukasu

Hukasu Cosmic Narwhal

well, that's pretty bad
    but you might have a friend that could host the server for you

16. Zaba35

Zaba35 Phantasmal Quasar

i believe it will son

17. Fuzions

Fuzions Zero Gravity Genie

I for some reason can't port forward. I'm not doing anything wrong, but it just won't happen.

18. BASE_SEVEN

BASE_SEVEN Void-Bound Voyager

I hope we wont have to port forward. My router is one of the ones that doesn't like being bothered with the petty concerns of humans

8Elliott likes this.
  19. Andinicus

Andinicus Big Damn Hero

Probably will require port forwarding and servers will be hosted by individuals. I really don't care either way cause I know how to port forward. For those who dont just good simple port forwarding its a neat program that helped me a ton, make sure your read up on their website (didn't know i had 2 firewalls i had to portforward)

20. Malthael2797

Malthael2797 Void-Bound Voyager

My router wont port forward because its so oooolllddddd but i guess I'll just hop around servers instead of hosting one.