1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

I want more Novakid =(

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Latiz, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

Well the difference is expectations. Humans aren't supposed to be like that.. Novakids on the other hand?

"Gosh darn smarty pants. KNOWIN stuff and focusin on makin his darn spaceship.. just who the darn does he think he i- oh a pixel!"

The player characters who actually can focus will probably be the odd ones out.

Pingeh likes this.
  2. JackAllan

JackAllan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was super disappointed when I realized the novakids weren't gonna be in the beta. I really hope they have uniquely shaped 'space-train' ships.

Squiddy likes this.
  3. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Meh. Novakids are cool, but I personally don't care when they're released. And just to set the record straight, I'm quite sure it's been said many times by the devs that they're a release or post-release thing, not beta. I'm sure this is echoing what's been said, but I'll say it again.

4. Latiz

Latiz Starship Captain

You shouldn't diagnose a human illness to an Alien race <_<
    I belive you really like Novakid too xD

And thanks for the probable release date of the race =P
    Now, thinking about it, if you are making a beta of a game and plan for the future you should focus on the beta stuff and not really into what you are goin to feature later on...

If that's it, why release a Theme Song, show it in the videos pre-beta?
    -They are saying 'Yeah, we got Novakid in our minds
    -They grabed any music record at random and placed it as backgound for the video? (Wrong, it has sound effects, means the music it's in-game)
    -Or they said something like 'Let's choose a race theme to torture our fans a lil' further'? <_<

5. ZanVaelius

ZanVaelius Existential Complex

They are no worse than Adeptus Mechanicus :p

6. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

7. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

I'm not saying they literally have ADHD, while it may be the norm for their race, when compared to Humans or the Apex, they exhibit a behavior not dissimilar to ADHD. Hence ADHD Cowboys,

I like the look of them, I do not like their behavior or their culture.

8. Latiz

Latiz Starship Captain

How would u like it to be then?
    Let us listen =3 ... errr... read <w<

9. Sousuke Kuroda

The way the Anodynes are, sophisticated behavior with a Greco-Roman culture.

10. JackAllan

That too similar thematically to the Avians for me.
    (Meaning 'Pretty much a human culture with alien stand-ins')

11. Sousuke Kuroda

What, and the wild west theme they already have doesn't have that problem?

12. I believe there are two main reasons as to why the Novakids "made it":

1 - Their appearance/anatomy, i.e. energy bodies, is quite different than all the other playable races so far, therefore it is unique in Starbound. However, the concept is still compatible with the standard character shapes and animations, meaning that Chucklefish can fit it in the game without too many drastic changes/problems.

2 - The Novakid lore is also very unlike the other announced backgrounds/cultures so far, which is another point in their favor.

Basically, I suspect that if another race is making it into the game after the Novakids, it will have to meet those two requirements, in other words, a combination of appearance and lore that does not resemble the already existing ones.

Also, I'm not really that hyped about the Novakids. I think their concept is pretty cool, and it'll be fun to see their villages and interact with the NPCs, but I don't feel compelled to play as one.

13. JackAllan

The wild west thing is really only superficially their culture. They're not just 'frontierville with gasbags.' Their societal attitude and behavior is what sets them apart.

14. Sousuke Kuroda

So what makes you think a Greco-Roman derived culture would be incapable of that?

15. JackAllan

Because the societal behaviour described was exactly the same as the typical depiction of greco-romans.

16. MrLevi

MrLevi Phantasmal Quasar

I love the Novakids. Everything about them just makes me happy.

I don't really view them as having ADHD, I just think they aren't that interested in sitting around studying or learning, and they have no interest at all in history. They like to learn by doing practical things, which isn't really helpful for learning quantum space-time mechanics they need for higher technology, but its probably quite fine for forging horseshoes or brewing moonshine. :D

Squiddy, Latiz and JackAllan like this.
  17. Sousuke Kuroda

Heheh, no it really wasn't. I summarized extremely when I said sophisticated behavior. I'd suggest going to the Anodyne page and reading the description.

18. Latiz

Latiz Starship Captain

I imagine, so far, the Novakid as a playful hyperactive race.
    Not thinking tough their actions nor thinking twice about what to do or how to do it...
    When you say 'sophisticated' I imagine quite the oposite, a deep cultutre race, that devotes to gods and such, Avian...

Somewhere out there it's noted that once a Novakid insulted an Avian by asking if its god does really exists...

I do defend the Cowboy theme with a bit of cultural madness, sounds like an utopia to me... Somewhere where the point of living it's just living for the moment =P
    Then agen I love to overthink things and I don't know the words to express myself, hahaha :rofl:

Now...
    Why it couldnt be both?

As in every society there are the ones who think and plan the work and the ones who actually work <_<

19. PurpleSquirel43

PurpleSquirel43 Pangalactic Porcupine

The Novakids seem kinda meh to me. They're cool and all, but they're towards the bottom of my favorite race list. I don't particularly like the Western theme.