1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Your Pixel Art!

Discussion in 'Art' started by B|eak, Jul 6, 2013.

1. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

A friendly place to share anyone's pixel art, Masters or Rookies anyone is allowed!

Because anyone is allowed I want to make rules minimal, so only one rule: No explicit art.

Have fun!

2. muxaun

muxaun Subatomic Cosmonaut

Here are 48 characters I have drawn for pixeljoint riot challenge 2 weeks ago.
    I learned A LOT drawing them.
    t5.PNG

primal7.png

3. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Impressive as always I must say.

Anyways, have you ever taken an anatomy class in your life? Unfortunately I missed the chance to do so during my high-school career and I hear it really helps you when trying to draw the human body. Your people in the picture look pretty good, that's why I'm asking haha.

4. muxaun

Nope. I had to learn everything the hard way ((

5. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

So, the interwebz...

6. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

7. Nebby

Nebby Void-Bound Voyager

I've never done pixel art before but was interested in it so I made...a tree...

[​IMG]

I'm currently using Illustrator and am wondering if that's an ideal tool for beginners to use. Also, what objects/characters could I start making that would be helpful in developing pixel art skills? Ultimately (and I'm faaaaaaar faaaaaar away from this goal) I'd like to be able to do what Dragonith does http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/dragoniths-sprites-n-stuff.16347/

All criticism and tips are welcome!

8. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

Pretty good for a first try. I'd read this tutorial: http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_almighty_grass_tile.php it helped me a lot also heres a website full of good tutorials: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/pixel-art-tutorials/

Silvestre likes this.
  9. CrimsonWingzz

CrimsonWingzz Pangalactic Porcupine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all the art I've done in a week! :D

10. Nebby

Nebby Void-Bound Voyager

11. Nebby

Nebby Void-Bound Voyager

Parum pum pum...I give you a...sandwich haha. I plan to do something everyday to hone my pixel art skills. Food seems to be on my mind right now :)

[​IMG]

EDIT: Anyone have any tips for tomatoes? Currently they look like red bike tires.

12. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

Holy crap man, nice job! and I think the tomatoes look okay... maybe give the bread a little more texture!

13. muxaun

bread needs texture
    tomatoes need blinks - they are composed of water and the water glitters.
    cheese needs shadow
    lettuce needs shadows and texture.

all those are not necessary except for tomatoes.

Nebby likes this.
  14. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

I always have trouble with two point perspectives... I think it involves like ratios and all that to make it perfectly proportional...

15. Nebby

Nebby Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for that. Initially I didn't know what you meant by "blinks" but I assume they're the reflective, shiny parts. I don't fully understand how the light reflection should be depicted but I tried my best to get the impression across. Also, my tomatoes are no longer bike tires haha...I realised I was filling them in like they were oranges :unsure:. Here's the final product:

[​IMG][​IMG]

greenmachine and WoxandWarf like this.
  16. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Now I'm curious, what did you learn?

17. muxaun

feet and hand positioning, shading, composition.
    And the most important thing - that I'd better draw 12 good-looking chars in 4 days than 48 ugly chars in 3 days. Quantity over quality doesn't work..

18. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Yeah If I only could draw 12 ugly chars in 12 days....

19. muxaun

It's easy actually. You start slow, but then you get used to drawing them and finally you can draw one character in 20 minutes.

Oh. And here's mah current piece
    jejc_15.png

20. Nebby

Nebby Void-Bound Voyager

Day 3: Milk Container
    [​IMG]

Elffa, austriss, spacebunnies and 4 others like this.