1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Your Most HATED Boss

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zezarict, May 10, 2013.

1. Fox0427

Fox0427 Big Damn Hero

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! I CAN'T FREAKING BELIEVE IT! I GOT TO THE CREMATOR AND DIED WHILE HE HAD 600 HEALTH LEFT GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

• Matanui3

Matanui3 Phantasmal Quasar

I agree the Wisp can be hard, what with his lightning attack being untelegraphed and undodgeable (except for invincibility moves, ofc, but it is still almost too fast for me to react).
      The funny thing, though, is that I have twice fought him in the lower left corner of Fungal Haven (on the demo-for all I know, the Beta changed the maps), where he CANNOT attack you if you stay in the corner as the Commando. In this case, he becomes the EASIEST boss.

• Anonymous

Anonymous Forum Bot

Ugh, Wandering Vagrant...

• Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Yeah probably the Wandering Vagrant...

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

What? His attacks are both greatly telegraphed and dodgeable. You see small purple smoking markers on the floor where the flaming pillars are about to strike. If you stand inbetween two markers, you are not hit.

• Matanui3

Matanui3 Phantasmal Quasar

I didn't actually notice that until JUST this last playthrough...
              Probably because I avoided contact as much as possible every time before (and I was Miner this time...)

• onus

onus Master Chief

So far I really dislike the magma worms. Not because they are difficult, but because they usually take at least twice as long to kill.

• Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

I think Ancient Wisp has ended more runs, if only because it can be a pain to take care of if also dealing with a large mob on its level. Vagrant probably similar. They're both reliant on dodging their telegraphed but hard-hitting attacks, and if you're also dodging mobs, you may be a second short of dodging the boss, but a large mob can crunch your health just as quickly. I can't say much for the Core bosses; I only reached there once, but I was so overpowered that I ultimately just committed suicide to get my score that time, so they really didn't seem that bad, even when I had double Cremators.

In general, I don't think any of the bosses are terribly HATE-worthy, since they're all really predictable. I mean, hopoo said it already, but certain elite mobs have higher 'casting cost' as bosses, and you can get giant piles of those. Giant piles of enemies/enemy deathballs are the worst part of triggering the teleporters, particularly earlier in the game, especially if there is less room to kite easily. With the addition of missile mobs, kiting is even harder since you'll just get infinitely spammed by those missiles as you try to kite.

Now, if we're also taking into account boss piles... well, I actually rarely get multiple bosses at the same time anymore (hell, I rarely get them spawning on their own independently of the teleporter), and I think I've only seen four elite bosses ever (yellow vagrant, orange vagrant, green golem, blue worm). I imagine the contact-damage Vagrant, which I've only heard spoken of in hushed and terrified whispers, is the worst of the lot...

• Fox0427

Fox0427 Big Damn Hero

Oh god, you are right. I ran into that contact-damage Vagrant and my run was over VERY quickly... Which sucks because I was doing REALLY good.

• Myth

Myth Space Penguin Leader

Cremator due to op artillery. Coming in second is the dreaded yellow vagrant. Fast as hell and 25000hp D:

Shrooblord likes this.
                      • Shrooblord

It's also a lot of fun when two Ancient Wisps spawn on top of each other. Four Vagrants is better. Six Worms (five regular, one Blue) is ... wow.

This game is amazing. :rofl:

• catchsumzzz

catchsumzzz Yeah, You!

For me the most annoying boss is easily the Creamator. It gets stupidly hard when multiple spawn before you even get to the teleporter. If there is three out at a time you can't stop moving or you start taking damage near constantly.

• Shrooblord

I really dislike how the paths their projectiles take can also harm you. The projectiles should be like the Vagrants'.

• Engio

Engio Space Penguin Leader

Fought it once, it is a horror to be feared more than any other boss in the game.

• Spamster

Spamster Poptop Tamer

Personally, I think most of the bosses are ok. The Giant Golem is probably the easiest due to the fact that he is slow, and depending on where he spawns, you can hit it without it being able to reach you. The magma worm is easy to dodge, I think it would be better if it didn't show you where it was coming from. Well, it would be harder at least. The Wandering Vagrant is either the easiest boss, since you can just stand there and all you have to do is dodge the projectiles, or the hardest, if he shoots 10 quick ones at you, or does contact damage. The ancient wisp is rarely a problem for me. To be honest I find the greater wisps more dangerous than him. The toxic beast is far too easy for my liking, and the cremator is just a pain in the neck. They are not usually that difficult though. One time, I reached the Fungal caverns for the second time, so obviously I was pretty powerful. I had 3 ancient wisps, two giant golems and three magma worms. One of each boss was elemental. I kicked their butts! ;D

• Fox0427

Fox0427 Big Damn Hero

I've been told on one of my threads by Hopoo that they're making the Magma Worm home in on you now.

• Spamster

Spamster Poptop Tamer

That is good news :)