Digital Ymedron and the art

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ymedron, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Let's see then. D:
    I'm sorry if it sounds pretentious by the way, it's more that the world has also gained some political undertones as I've become aware of social issues.

It's a world that started out as a stage for plotlessroleplays with copyrighted characters like Link and Mario and stuff. After I started making original characters, I also started treating the world as a more serious endeavor.
    It also serves as a playground for many random ideas that come by, and has gone under so many redesigns I can't count them. For example, at first there were thousands of (undesigned) gods that were supposedly responsible for everything, then there were only about five or six, then there were only two but one of them has been broken up into hereditary demigod-status style things (which is the current state.)

Right now the main idea behind the different factions in it are different ways beings have power over each other - gender, wealth, religion, birth class, age.
    -Humans represent wealth to a degree, with the different wealth states separated into circles. My ideal is that they'd be represented with minimal gender discrimination, as that allows one to focus on the effects of classes created by money (and also because I want to figure out what a world without gender discrimination actually looks like.)
    -Tame elves, subjucated by humans, represent gender discrimination. At the moment I'm uncomfortable with the choice of making the females bigger, stronger and more dominant with the males being childlike and submissive, as that would give ammunition to the men's rights advocates. However, being the other way around would not highlight the discrimination as much. They have been selectively bred to be such, and the females are encouraged to breed only with the most submissive males.
    -Wild elves represent age discrimination, where elder elves have more power over younger ones. I haven't really thought about them much, right now they seem too idyllic to properly portray ageism.
    -Tarspawn (whose leader is the dinosaurdragon shapeshifter guy) kind of represent birthclass, as they have several classes determined by the leaders of each colony. However, I have roleplayed a fair bit with the characters created for that, so it's also kinda idyllic and doesn't inspect the crappy aspects of being born to be a manual laborer, for example. They are generally male-appearing (however since they can't breed it doesn't matter) with the exception of the spawner who is female. They were created by their leader which should raise all kinds of questions but at the time I can't remember any.
    -badlands humans who don't have a name - represent power by religion. They live in the south on dry praerie-style land that varies from craggy grasslands to rough desert, and their inspiration was the little I knew about mongolians. They are split into numerous tribes, many of which worship demons of some kind. The biggest kingdom-like tribe hosts large deathmatch competitions to select the strongest host for their revered demon spirit. These matches are open for slaves/prisoners who may take part in the fights to earn their family a better place in society.
    Some others have just hereditary rule kind of thing going on, and I'm sure many of them don't actually have a real demon to worship, and either the priests make it up or devoutly believe in whatever signs they use.

There are also various tribes and groups of humans that don't represent any power-type, some living in forests (and being more friendly with the local wild elves and share some of their religion) and some who live in the north who worship animal gods and some of the actual demigods that may wander in the region.

It's still very amorphous where different alternate universes and one off-ideas may merge into the main continuity or separate into a different one. For example, I'm not yet sure what demons are like and they have gone from being corrupted humans to formless spirits given shape by their summoners to typical "devils" whose bloodline is found in certain people (too close to "power by birth class" I decided for the main power by religion-group) to sentient powers that must inhabit a host given to them.

Another focus for me is biology and evolution, which are represented by the elves, manticores, dragons and gryphons. I have a feeling I might need to separate the two focuses into their own worlds so they can have their proper spacing, but for now the dragons (aka very strongly dinosaurs) are separated onto their own supercontinent south from the one that I've mostly paid attention to. There is also a race of flightless wyverns whose main interest is science, travel and research so they act as a link between the two areas.

edit: also I noticed I don't have anything regarding racism. To be frank I'm afraid to tackle that issue as it's a big thing that I don't consider myself equipped to represent unlike feminism which I feel I know much more intimately. Sorry. :C

I hope the skeleton I've written now doesn't seem too ignorant or offensive, I usually develop each part as I learn more about a topic that might relate to them, so I hope the gaps or misunderstandings will be repaired in the future.

Walross, Arretez and Swatch like this.
  2. Swatch

Swatch Void-Bound Voyager

Very impressive. This is another one of those things to which I apply my mantra. I believe the multiverse is near-infinite in size, therefore it's possible that somewhere out there everything ever imagined exists. Not all in the same place, of course, but somewhere, every world, every race, everything ever dreamed up has happened, is happening, or will happen.
    All I need is a little blue police box to ride around and explore in.

I wanna meet these tarspawn fellas. They're awesome.

Arretez and Games4Playing like this.
  3. I use the alternate universities as an escape clause for ideas I want to explore but don't want them to disturb something else. <: D
    (also of course tinydisclaimer: The stories for each of the factions is so that the other factions' issues aren't explored as thoroughly, so for example if a story was looking at the issues of humans and elves, they would ignore the badland denizens and portray tarspawn as a very one-dimensional evil grouping.)

Thank you. <:3 I'm worried I'm a bit too fond of them right now so I can't see the potential bad aspects of their design right now, but hopefully will do later.

4. [​IMG]

I tried to update the theropod-style dragons based on what I've seen. Many of the feathered dinos that you can see feather shadows from show taht the feathers covered the head as well. Because of this, looking at modern dinosaurs(birds) is probably a much better way to see what kind of an expression they had...
    I'm quite happy with this.

5. Bonus dinosaur that has a much better background color!
    [​IMG]

I didn't really research how much or where feathers might appear in a tyrannosaur (yes it's supposed to be kinda like a tyrannosaur) nor did I look reference for it either... Oh well, enjoy the nonthreatening but still fairly lethal beast.

BrutorDragon likes this.
  6. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

Eeets so fluffy~!

7. Tectal

Tectal Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Viewing your art was the most enjoyable moment of my day, thank you.

I'm really considering printing off bits of that calender and following it, maybe for next year. ;)

Arretez likes this.
  8. Hey dere again everyone, it's been a while.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Bamseper

Bamseper Ketchup Robot

Wow, those are some of your best artworks yet, if you ask me! More game fanart and randomly generated races, please!

10. Thank you bam, and surprisingly I actually ended up making more fanart! Cheers and celebrations.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. These are amazing!
    I am now expecting a Floran. Do not let me down. XD

12. Bamseper

Bamseper Ketchup Robot

More hylotls please :D

13. Jedesis

Jedesis Ketchup Robot

Hey Ymedron! Do you accept requests? I wondering if you were to create me a thief, a gentleman thief, with a trench coat like this. Its for my upcoming game and I just want a representation so my pixel artist can get to work on him. He would have to have blue eyes and have a face reminiscent of Sherlock Holmes but not too noticeable. Trench coat colour, well I would like it black and white, but you can choose the colour, brown, black etc... Maybe he could also have a top hat with a red feather? I'll really appreciate as your work is top quality, you've got a great gift, something I wish I could do. :/ I don't mind if you don't do it, it'll just help me and my team.

Thank you!

Jedesis

Attached Files:

14. NNn sorry, accepting requests for me usually leads to a very unpleasant situation where I'm overburdened and forget everyone's requests anyway. (actually you can witnes that farce earlier in the comment thread, orz...)
    Thank you for the interest though. <:U

And perhaps more hylotls. *shifty*

Jedesis likes this.
  15. Jedesis

Jedesis Ketchup Robot

Ok thanks anyway, I'll just look around elsewhere. :D

16. [​IMG]
    Rest of the comic here: link

Jedesis likes this.
  17. Amazing! Your art is amazing!

18. This thead is becoming increasingly unwieldy due to the high number of images, curse it all! D: Oh well, I must trudge on.
    [​IMG]

19. DawnOfNights

DawnOfNights Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You have a really good sense of where light falls, and the way you mix hard and soft shading is just perfect <3

20. Thank you everyone whose posts I haven't replied to. Just know that I read every reply and the reason why I don't always reply is because I feel awkward bumping the thread without posting art. :C!