1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated XS Corporation Mechs 1.05

Adds more mech tech!

1. TShinzon

TShinzon Subatomic Cosmonaut

Key Words:
    Code:
    Error: Removing entity -131072 from world
    Error: WorldServer.clientsIncomingPackets exception caught: MapException: index 6 out of range in OrderedMap::at()
    Code:
    _ZN4Star13StarExceptionC2ERKs+0xfe
    _ZN4Star12MapExceptionC2ERKs+0x11

SUMMARY: After some extensive testing, I'm fairly certain I know what is causing the issue; unfortunately I don't think I can (reasonably) fix it. The problem seems to be the number of animations defined in the *.animation file for each mech (or any kind of tech for that matter). While in singleplayer there doesn't seem to be a cap on the number of animations able to be listed, in multiplayer there may be a cap. My testing has put that cap at either 12 or 13 (probably 12). Therefore, for any single *.animation file, there is a hard cap of 12-13 animations for multiplayer.

PROCESS/METHOD (if you're bored or a modder): I ran a private server off of my primary machine (Windows). I also ran a Starbound client on the same computer (which I'll refer to as the Host Player) and another Starbound client on a separate MacBook Air (which I'll refer to as the Client Player) in the same local area network.

Based on Zakail's report of multiplayer issues and provided screencap of starbound server terminal (http://i.imgur.com/Pz5YQfa.png), I suspected the problem to be 1.) an animation issue and 2.) having something to do with number of stateTypes or states in a *.animation file. I verified the provided server log files by running several tests of my own with fresh installs, new player characters, and a wiped universe. I was able to cause several crashes and bugs with the same log output as provided.

For testing purposes, I reduced the files in my mod to only include one tech (the Sigma mech). I verified that the reduced mod caused the same issues.

The relevant *.animation file (xsm_sigmamech.animation) defines 7 stateTypes with 21 total states (animations) defined between them. For reference, the standard human mech animation file defines 3 stateTypes with 8 total states defined between them. To test my hypothesis, I reduced the number of animations first to 10. When tested, the tech worked perfectly in multiplayer (minus the animations I removed), causing none of the issues or log messages reported previously. I repeated the test several times with different combinations of stateTypes (and commenting out the removed animations in the *.lua script), and found that all of my custom stateTypes *would* work in multiplayer IF the total number of states was below a certain number. If the total number of states (animations) was too high, the test would return the same problems that started this whole mess.

RESULTS/DISCUSSION: The results I got from the time I was able to spend testing indicate that multiplayer works for animation numbers up to and including 12, and fails for 14 and above. I did not get to test having exactly 13 animations. Because I tested all the different stateTypes in different combinations and was able to get each one of them working independently, I do not believe the problem was with any single stateType. What is sure is that I was able to get multiplayer to work by removing animations from the *.animation file.

This part is pure speculation; but it seems that Starbound multiplayer has a built in array size limit or something for *.animation files. If there is to be any multiplayer support for heavily animated mods/techs, the devs will have to increase that effective animation cap or we will have to find some way to associate multiple *.animation files with one tech or item.

WHAT IT MEANS FOR THIS MOD : Most of these mechs are heavily animated, and it will not be reasonable to reduce the number of animations to the hard cap of 12 without damaging the quality of this mod. Therefore, until more light is shed on this issue, or (all this assuming I'm not completely off the mark here) the devs add support for more heavily animated mods in multiplayer, this mod will be marked as singleplayer only.

DISCLAIMER: I could be completely wrong. I do not intend to sound snobby, entitled, or ungrateful at all towards the devs at Chucklefish.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. Zakail

Zakail Phantasmal Quasar

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I really hope they fix this so your mod can work in multiplayer. We all really love these mechs and it's pretty heartbreaking that we can't use them together :<

I take it you already reported this bug to the devs in some fashion?

3. TShinzon

That's a good point, I wonder what the best way to do that is

4. Xavius

Xavius Cosmic Narwhal

... 'exna' ? I think that's a typo, unless it's a term I'm simply not used to. What did you mean?

naithaan likes this.
  5. naithaan

naithaan Zero Gravity Genie

haha i dont know how to spell it out (X-Nay) sounds like that xD

6. Cetek14

Cetek14 Void-Bound Voyager

Don't works for me.

7. SuperMandrew

SuperMandrew Cosmic Narwhal

This is the best I could find :-/

naithaan and SubliminalKitteh like this.
  8. TShinzon

Thanks for taking the initiative SuperMandrew, hopefully they will look into it further.

9. Vwhdfd

Vwhdfd Void-Bound Voyager

Love the mod, but I gotta ask a question: Are you planning to add, instead of heavily armed mechs, some more exploration-oriented ones?
    I'd kill for a light and fast scout exosuit or a mining mech.

Ketoth and naithaan like this.
  10. Xren

Xren Pangalactic Porcupine

Hello I love your work. Will you make melee mechs/powersuits?
    for example:
    primary attack: shock wave punches
    secondary: high speed charge

love your mod and keep up the good work

Ketoth likes this.
  11. douglasdamm

douglasdamm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

love it, and i would like to make some suggestion for the next mechs / improvement of the ones in the mod:

- add thrusters for dash! the dash would be activated by double tapping the movement key (A and D) similar to energy dash tech
    - mechs with melee weapon
    - flight capable mechs (maybe something like the bubble boost tech with the option to simple press space alone to hover for a short time)
    keep up the amazing work =)

12. WingofTech

WingofTech Big Damn Hero

Finally! A well balanced, nice price recipe, mech mod! This thing is great and hopefully can be made multiplayer compatible so that I can be a mech with friends :p

13. WingofTech

WingofTech Big Damn Hero

I demand helicopter-like propeller(s)!!! I'd also quite enjoy a mech with a melee attack or one that ONLY focuses on that so it can do a normal sword slash and maybe an energy sword's over-charge that fires out a waves of power a small distances and it goes through enemies!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  14. naithaan

Love it hope this gets implemented :D

15. naithaan

flying mechs im sold!

16. TShinzon

I'd like to work on an exploration mech at some point. It might end up being a retooled Sigma or something, we'll see what's possible.

It's funny that y'all mentioned flying(ish) and melee mechs, my current project is a melee mech with a jetpack, planned in advance. Not very realistic but hopefully it'll turn out fun. Balance-wise it probably won't exactly be a "flyer" as much as a "hopper/sprinter". I do hope to make a true dedicated flyer at some point as well, if things work out.

Here's a WIP preview

[​IMG]

it's not quite what it looks like, I haven't found a magical way to have mechs act like giant players. It's a lot of fancy lua wand-waving and magic tricks.

If all works out I'll have a couple different weapon sets for this one though

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    Pohany and douglasdamm like this.
  17. Xren

YESSSSS MELEEEEEEEEE I'm having an orgasm right now...

naithaan likes this.
  18. Xren

well this is my idea of a melee mech weapon Some Ideas.png
    as you can see the in the secondary attack the blade expands and create a plasma field w/c extend the range of attack and damage..
    well that's all
    and don't laugh at my drawings I'm not a good artist :)

WingofTech and naithaan like this.
  19. DekoDaGeko

DekoDaGeko Aquatic Astronaut

Hi there, I have made a small showcase on your mod. I hope you like it,

Olie.

CommanderCnicko likes this.
  20. CBWX

CBWX Pangalactic Porcupine

most impressive