Writing your own Codex

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by Rowan-Infinity, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Rowan-Infinity

Rowan-Infinity Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So, other people probably will have or have had this idea, too, so I'm just gonna put it out there.
    Writing your own books?

Using books that you find in most dungeons, you can make a "Tome", which in turned could be used (click with active) to make a custom codex. Alternatively, a player could find/craft blank pages and craft one from that. Another option is that you could write them without a crafting recipe and simple hit a key in the codex menu, thought the tomes would make it easier to share your tales of wonder.d

It could use a GUI that's similar to the codex when reading a book, except you could type in it. Maybe a small GUI off to the side that has text options, like the ones here on the forum (i.e. Bold, Underlined, strike, bullet, number, etc.)? Players could also have options after books have been written and implemented into the codex, such as voiding books you wrote from it or editing already created books.

This would add more variety to the game, and help multiplayer servers create a actual story line or a lore to there player colony if they wish. MMO servers could make this as a rule book to players who come in for the first time, as well. It could also be useful in regular game play, as players could document coordinates of planets they like or think are important, create a sort of field guide to creatures on them, or even just keep track of there pixels (boring, but if it's what you like.)

I know other games have this in as well (MC to name one). It's a really useful tool, and I urge you guys to consider it.
    Sincerely,
    Rowan-Infinity

Example Book Icon:
    [​IMG]

2. Derpislav

Derpislav Big Damn Hero

Been there, suggested that, but didn't go into details like you. I think this is ready to send to devs. Not really anything I would change.

3. zonnoser

zonnoser Big Damn Hero

That sound pretty awesome

4. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

This would be awesome! Once you completed a book, you could use a recipe with it along with more blank books to mass produce it, and when interacted with it would add it to your Codex.

SonoFelice likes this.
  5. Daftboy

Daftboy Space Spelunker

YAY for this, you could write your own story and share it , and since (by what I read) HC and Permadeath use the same world you could maybe find your own book... or in multiplayer find other player's stories and make some legends...

The ultimate point would be to have the possibility to add item to a containing object (shelf, library...) !

Hawk Novablast likes this.
  6. Lifehacker

Lifehacker Seal Broken

I would definitely second this. I would love to be able to keep a journal, or a record of the planets I discover, creatures and plants I encounter, civilisations I meet.

It'seasy to do, adds something useful to the game, allows you to make the game more personal, has no effect on game difficulty. What's not to like?

Hawk Novablast likes this.
  7. Agawin

Agawin Space Spelunker

I think this is a very good idea. Most planets I find that have special places like labs I have to write the co-ordinates down on a piece of paper which I usually lose, so a book you can write things down in would be very useful

8. Candide

Candide Subatomic Cosmonaut

Wow. This is actually really good. I am very much on board for this. I can't really think of anything constructive to say because you pretty much covered all your bases. Good work. I'd really like to see this implemented.

9. SssssuperFloran2004

SssssuperFloran2004 Void-Bound Voyager

i would love to see this in starbound. beacause you can be like "captain's Log day 563 year 6013 this is the day earth was destroyed..." and so on.
    but yeah pretty Damn awesome

10. SonoFelice

SonoFelice Void-Bound Voyager

Someone really needs to make this a mod, or get Chucklefish to add it in. It's an awesome idea, and I really really wish it existed.

11. nomad ninga

nomad ninga Star Wrangler

this would be super cool if you could find them in chests two like the pre-writen codex would be nice to go on a server find a chest with a codex go to the cords and get ambushed by someones tethered pets

12. Kubajznica

Kubajznica Void-Bound Voyager

Seriously, tho... This is a brilliant idea, especially for roleplaying guys and gals... This would make Starbound one of the best multiplayer games ever.. :D