Wouldn't it be nice to catch some bugs?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by HappyFarmer, Jan 10, 2017.

1. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Space Hobo

I just wanted to first of say thank you for this amazing game! I honestly cannot fault it at all.

I was wondering, how about the ability to catch bugs? There could be bugs in different seasons and I'm sure all of us would love to catch a firefly at some stage.

That being said, if this was the case, I think we would need a bug expert as an NPC in the village and on top of that probably a place to display them? The Community centre has lots of potential just like the museum, however what happens if you add a basement to it for the insects or add a 2nd story to it?

Furthermore, you can even have the possibility of it being an unlockable quest that you have to understand different types of bugs. How you would catch these would be with a net, or bait and trap them.

Also, how about carnivorous plants that allow the bugs to be fed to them? What happens if the plants die/wilt and we leave them there, maybe bugs can grow on them, or on trees throughout the village. Stray pieces of wood could have these or if you smash a rock a bug crawls out of it and you have to catch it.

I honestly believe there would be lots of potential for insects/bugs in this game and will give us a reason to come back (even though most of us do not need one).

Please post as many suggestions with this as possible, I would LOVE to see this in the game!

(If this has been posted, I apologise for it being doubled up)

KaoticKanine and _PandorasBox_ like this.
    • Obesius

Obesius Big Damn Hero

Kinda like Animal Crossing Right?
      It would be cool, so we can have maybe a couple, someone that's an expert in plants and insects and his wife/husband an expert in Natural Medicine
      Tons of Potions and Decorative Furniture (Like Firefly Lantern's)

• Scritchowl

Scritchowl Big Damn Hero

That was in the last harvest moon before the change to a story of season. Honestly unless the museum gets an update to function more like the museum from animal crossing. With the living bug exhibits and fish exhibits. I cant see this being an enjoyable pursuit.

Maybe introduce a zoo. If they add animal befriending.

As far as carnivorous plants they dont sell well in the real world. Yes people buy them but not the way they buy bonnie seedlings. Also foord for them would already be taken care of with bug meat and bait.

• HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Space Hobo

Exactly like that and I love the potions idea as well! They could possibly even add in another area for that?

That is true, maybe it can be a quest or something to upgrade the museum to allow for these additions and you can only start to catch these once this has been built?

• Obesius

Obesius Big Damn Hero

Well there's the Flower Festival Area, usually it's closed, that place could be they're garden.
            Maybe even using some flower's on Potion's.
            Also adding Flowers with different Scent's like you can grow a flower with really Scent that will attrack Bee's and Butterfly's and so on.

• _PandorasBox_

_PandorasBox_ Sandwich Man

I'd love little Firefly lanterns to place around my farm, maybe be able to place them on fences or hang them in trees~ And the expert could be someone traveling to see what Insects are found in the Valley, and in order to stay ( Instead of staying for a little bit, then leaving and possibly only coming once a year ) , they'd need the farmer's help with catching certain Insects and helping them find a place to live that isn't the Inn.
              Honestly we need to be able to place lights and torches on fence posts.

• HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Space Hobo

I always forget about that area because it has been nicely created however as you said rarely used.

I would be grateful just to have a torch on the corners of the fences and maybe at the gates. Sticking boring lamp posts everywhere is a bit tedious at times especially trying to light up the whole area as a whole.

• Scritchowl

Scritchowl Big Damn Hero

Just please dont make it where you have to collect bees to fill a hive. Find it silly when in harvest moon your bees die during winter

• Antiochus

Antiochus Void-Bound Voyager

Certain types f buys are used to make dyes as well. A "dyeworks" machine or building could be a use for them. Along with some other items already in game.

• HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Space Hobo

So much potential!

• Scritchowl

Scritchowl Big Damn Hero

As I had posted in another thread you need cacti for the beetles and that could be something if they introduce the southern islands

• Eikos

Eikos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Beetles. Beetles, beetles, beetles, beetles. All beetles, only beetles.
                          Fireflies are beetles. Ladybugs are also beetles.
                          The beetle order, Coleoptera, has the most species of any other order.
                          Beetle spotting, beetle catching, beetle keeping.

Beetle, beetle, beetles.

EDIT: The bugs currently in Stardew are probably some types of beetle as well, judging by their anatomy and life cycle.
                          EDIT: Well, actually the top four orders of insects are already covered. Top meaning the most species in each. Coleopera (beetles), Hymenoptera (Bees, and ants and wasps), Lepidoptera (Butterflies/Moths), and Diptera (Flies, mosquitos)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
                          • Obesius

Obesius Big Damn Hero

You forgot about the beetle's

Hey the npc responsoble for the insects could be linus, he's the bear grills of SDV anyway

• Scritchowl

Scritchowl Big Damn Hero

Tonight on man vs wild vs food I show you how to make garbage pail wine all you need is bugmeat some slime and georges trashcan. Its so stout it will make a junimo curse.

• Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

What about butterflies? Every time I cut trees and a bunch of butterflies come out of it I think "I need those for my collection! Oh wait..."

They don't die during wimter. In real life bees aren't active but kind of sleeping in the winter too.

• Scritchowl

Scritchowl Big Damn Hero

No in the harvest moon games you had to find a bee and put it in the hive to start honey production and in winter it died. Causing you to having to start over in spring using perfumes and stuff to level up production

• Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

But that's just adding busy work. What were the Devs thinking. I agree then: please don't make it that bees die in winter.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Among my favourite natural history quotations is attributed to JBS Haldane:

'God has an inordinate fondness for beetles.'

(The quote is sadly apocryphal but entirely characteristic of Haldane.)

Eikos likes this.