1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion Would Chucklefish consider publishing the server publicly?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by slifty, Mar 13, 2022.

Tags:
  1. slifty

slifty Space Hobo

I'm working to set up a dedicated server on a server I own via Docker, running Debian (I own Starbound through steam and I game on a Mac these days which means the installed files are all compiled for MacOS.

I was wondering if Chucklefish would consider publishing their latest server versions publicly, which would make it much simpler to have a Docker container download a given copy of the server. As it stands every time a new version is released I would need to manually log into the container and re-run the steamcmd to update.

For context: other games, such as terraria, publish their server binaries which allows docker containers to just curl a given build from a static URL!

2. Genevra

Genevra Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Chucklefish is largely unresponsive, especially to community efforts such as these. However, it's quite easy to duplicate the game install folder or use the server install files separately from the game. although it would take a bit of first time setup I could see it being easy to set up a workflow that can extract the server files only from a game install or something.

In other words what you're asking is cool and possible but won't be done by them 99.99%, to answer the thread title

slifty likes this.
  3. sagenth

sagenth Pangalactic Porcupine

You could probably just setup the steamcmd as a shell script to run as a cron job or a pre-step for launching the server service. I needed to authenticate it only once, after that I could run the steamcmd without bothering to supply a password. So, it's sort of like have a nice package manager.. just with an extra step upfront. I wouldn't mind a docker that did all that for me. Supply the container with a config file or w/e that gets parsed to supply the credentials to the steamcmd. I support your efforts, please make the docker.