World & Lore of Stardew Valley

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MagicallyClueless, Apr 28, 2016.

1. MagicallyClueless

MagicallyClueless Master Astronaut

OMH M Y OGGODD

rmd64 likes this.
    • Anushka.C

Anushka.C Guest

I've watched this video and I was laughing but freaking Sebastian is wearing a short sleeved hoodie.

rmd64 likes this.
      • Omnislash024

Omnislash024 Big Damn Hero

Your theories of nobody ever leaving is blown out of the water by the simple fact that people do leave.

Examples:
        -Your farmer. Ever notice visiting the Desert on occasion?
        - The Governor. He visits the Luau and leaves.
        -The Stardew Fair. Tourists visit the town... and leave.
        - You and Sebastian take a motorcycle ride, which requires leaving.

This thread is about Lore, not theories. So... magic and fantasy exist in a modernized, corporate world. Your role? Farm.

Gabaw likes this.
        • WolfGT57

WolfGT57 Contact!

A SHORT SLEEVED HOODIE? NO IT CAN'T BE!!!!!!!!

rmd64 likes this.
          • Omnislash024

Omnislash024 Big Damn Hero

Cheered me up this morning. :poke:

rmd64 likes this.
            • Landwalker

Landwalker Pangalactic Porcupine

None of the residents of Pelican Town leave. The only instance in which it ever happens is if the farmer is there (either alone, or with Sebastian or Pam), in which case Farmer is just temporarily relocating their coma-generated personal universe. The nameless Governor and even-more-nameless Tourists are just passing subconscious ghosts.

I guess if we want demonstrably-true or preponderance-of-evidence lore, though, I don't remember where I saw it but someone translated the "hieroglyphs" in the Skull Caverns. The purple slimes are basically the remnants of a people destroyed by iridium poisoning, and the mummies are victims of a wizard's curse (maybe The Wizard).

Edit: Ah, here it is. And yes, basically, the purple slimes and mummies were cursed by iridium and sealed within the skull caverns "until the day a hero puts [them] to rest." Which would explain why the skull caverns are, you know, sealed until you get the skull key at the bottom of the Pelican Town Mines.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
                Gabaw, ChaosAzeroth and zcsnightmare like this.
              • Lil' Mini

Lil' Mini Phantasmal Quasar

All I want to know for the time being is a name for a northern country so that I can write in the Farmer Backstory Thread where my character actually comes from. I mean, it was his beloved country yet he doesn't even remember what it's called. ;_;

• Landwalker

Angmar, obviously.

Gabaw likes this.
                  • Lil' Mini

Lil' Mini Phantasmal Quasar

Eh? Is it mentioned in game or just a name you made up? :proper:

• Landwalker

Gabaw, ChaosAzeroth and Lil' Mini like this.
                    • Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

I'm suprised there isn't much talk about the library. There's lots of lore there. http://stardewvalleywiki.com/Museum#Books

I'm interested in the mentions of Yoba.
                      It makes me wonder if there's a secret crop related to the book.

Gabaw and MagicallyClueless like this.
                      • benevapwnz

benevapwnz Void-Bound Voyager

• MagicallyClueless

Yoba is extremely interesting! I would love to learn more about the theology of stardew valley's world regardless. magic is a big and accepted thing (at least in a backwoods place like pelican town it is) so it makes me wonder the different systems of belief, maybe if Yoba belongs to a common set of beliefs or not.

A secret crop would be interesting!

Gabaw likes this.
                        • benevapwnz

benevapwnz Void-Bound Voyager

Also on topic @MagicallyClueless, I would love to know more about Mr. Qi. I mean, we all know and accept he is an alien, right?

Gabaw and MagicallyClueless like this.
                          • MagicallyClueless

he could know much more than we can even fathom O:

Gabaw likes this.
                            • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

On the subject of supernatural beings, ghosts exist. There are two beings that are rather apparently ghosts, with on being out right stated. The ghost of the Farmer's Grandfather is the 100% confirmed one. The one that could possibly be hand waved is the Old Mariner, who shows up on rainy days on New Beach.

It's worth noting that ghosts tend to be bound to one of two locations: the location that was most important to them in life, or the location where the died. Some ghosts are said to be able to appear at both locations, but that isn't relevant in this case. No, the part that is of interest isthe appearance of New Beach, particularly where the Old Mariner stands. He's near tidal pools, and scraps of wood. Tidal pools tend to only be separate from the ocean at low tide, though that doesn't seem to be the case in SDV, whether because it would have been difficult to implement or for the sake of player convenience.

However, pointing back for the fact he only appears on rainy or stormy days, it seems to point to the Mariner having been shipwrecked and killed on the beach during bad weather. The fact he sells a mermaid pendant to a Farmer ready to propose to their love implies that it was on his person at the time of the accident.

• Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

There are also ghosts in the mines, but i forget what level.

• NikkSword

NikkSword Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't trust Mr. Qi. Something evil about him.. and Sebastian!

Gabaw likes this.
                                  • lilly_ampleton

lilly_ampleton Void-Bound Voyager

OMG OMG
                                    This is sooooo great! I absolutely love your theory!!!
                                    It reminds me sooo much of
                                    life on mars and ashes to ashes

Thank you for that! :)

Gabaw likes this.
                                    • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

They start showing up on the ice floors, as I recall.

That said, considering they drop "Solar Essence" it seems more likely that the 'Ghosts' are actually light-element based spirits, as counterparts to the dark-element based spirits, the Shadow Brutes. It's worth noting that the war between the Dwarves and Shadow People was called the Elemental War. Which means at least one group would have had to have been Elemental Spirits.

Since the Dwarves are not native to the world, they might not be able to be classified as Earth spirits. Though, it is possible that they were Earth-elementally attuned on their homeworld. Which could mean that their survival on the planet that Stardew Valley could be attributed to their passive magic adapting them enough to make them compatible enough with the world to survive. Though, this could mean that the Dwarves might have driven off the Earth elementals native to Stardew Valley, and maybe further, as they spread out.... Which would essentially make them an invasive species. :rofl: Considering that the other candidates for the human-equivalent rank among Earth spirits would be the Stone Golems from the minds, it may be for the best they took over...

The most likely candidate for Water Elementals would be the Merpeople, obviously. Air could be the fairies that are attracted to flowers. If we saw them in game, I'd say Elves would be the most likely human equivalent, but they aren't anywhere to be found, so Fairies get the 'human equivalent' rank. The serpents in the Skull Cavern could possibly be lesser air spirits. The only element we don't see a possible human equivalent for is fire...