1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Wondering if anyone else is getting a really bad FPS with the new Stable

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Nirnia, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spicynoodle

Spicynoodle Void-Bound Voyager

I'm not even joking -- as simple as this sounds, I literally just did this and my FPS almost doubled. LOL .Thank you.

2. SquarelyCircle

SquarelyCircle Cosmic Narwhal

I don't know if this is the issue, but this has helped in the past.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=153387315

The problem is that steam runs with some strange compatibility settings. It is hard to detect or change these settings, and they just randomly turn on. So, try the above guide, and see if it helps your lag.

3. Nirnia

Nirnia Void-Bound Voyager

This, and SpicyNoodle's + I_Squared posts, Totally trying this right now. I love you guys so much for helping Q~Q[DOUBLEPOST=1422577732][/DOUBLEPOST]Hum, Well ok I tried both of those methods but i'm still getting a really choppy framerate.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  4. Chainance

Chainance Space Hobo

I used to get 40 frames per second. After Huge Winter Update I get 2 frames per second. I've tried everything. Compatibility, Regedit, Resolution, OpenGL... still nothing works.

vanella likes this.
  5. vanella

vanella Scruffy Nerf-Herder

For me ever this dont saved me with this lag : (

6. Gia-Knight

Gia-Knight Void-Bound Voyager

having the same problem here...
    i got it to work for a little bit when i ran straight from the files but it crashed still
    anyone got any suggestions?

7. PubStomp

PubStomp Void-Bound Voyager

Having very similar problems, i thought it might have been because of the spinning planets in the background so i tried to get out of the beginning scene and port down to the planet below but nothing seems to change. I have friends who are having no trouble playing on a server and i'm being left out :(

8. Bloody<3

Bloody<3 Big Damn Hero

have you guys tried to start the open gl renderer or/and the 64 bit version if you have a 64bit OS?

cause now i have stable 67 FPS using the 64 bit version of Starbound on open gl. you can find that in the installation folder of starbound. there should be a folder named win 64

9. Nirnia

Yeah, I've tried both the regular and GL versions, and the fps is still unbelievably low for whatever reason.

10. Blue

Blue Former Staff

There was just an update on my steam. Giraffe Update 2, it has a new launcher layout, including the 64 bit option in it.

11. Nirnia

Downloading it right now~ Please sweet baby jesus, work for me!

12. meepcrux

meepcrux Void-Bound Voyager

I just got on steam and there was a little update to starbound :eek: going to try it now
    ~~~~~~~

a new 64-bit openGL[DOUBLEPOST=1422585557][/DOUBLEPOST]ahhhhhh it works :rofl:
    OH SWEET BABY JESUS TEA :D

Attached Files:

13. Nirnia

Alright, well the new update is much appreciated, and i've noticed that, even way back when I had first noticed the issues, if my character isn't surrounded by other NPC races, that I can eventually move around somewhat ok, it's just that every little new detail my mouse runs over causes me to suddenly skip on my frames, as well as opening any sort of menu at all. Going down on a planet seems to remove a lot of all of that, i'm assuming since there isn't as much condensed stuff on my screen..? if that makes any sense at all.

And just to test it out, I used the /admin command to place spawners down in my ship while I explored a bit on the planet below, I only put three down and my frames get all kinds of skippy but seems to even out a bit. Any more than three NPC's at a time and I just literally can not even move a frame :rofl: So towns for me are a literal "Nah, You can't do that" kind of area now.

HUZZAH!!!! I kept thinking I had to use the New Experimental Launcher button to get my game to work out, but that wasn't the case!!!! Oh my goodness, now that the miniture update was added, I just have to use the original "Launch Starbound" button and my game runs so smooth it's like watching water flow down water resistant Glass!! Oh thank you Chuckle Folks, and long may the Travelling Space Goats bless your beautiful souls!

14. Ryumaru

Ryumaru Big Damn Hero

Running OpenGL and 64bit doesn't help mine, unfortunately.

15. Vandrick

Vandrick Phantasmal Quasar

Same here. A very noticeable difference. My game runs so much faster now, flawless. But like you, I also deleted all my local content, all players, all universe, etc.

16. Nirnia

Try using the Steam launcher method and using the "Launch Starbound" Button in the bottom left corner, assuming you gained the little update they did for it.

17. vanella

vanella Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Same to me, its a little better now but the lag is there in some way or another :/

18. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Just got that interesting update myself. Nice to have the 64 bit option noted in the launcher. Although the only place it does lag I've noticed is anywhere there is a lot of wires, which makes sense. More like spikes and settles down after being there for a while. Outpost being one of them. Initially it was a large spike and then after going back n forth to the outpost to finish off my quests I could finish it ran decently, with minor skips around the doors; hence knowing it is the wires causing it in my case. Of course I ran it through steam, so I could expect things would boot up quicker if not through it... ie booting directly from the files.

Mine doesn't usually lag much as I have mentioned, just here and there like others have mentioned, but probably to a minor degree. :)

19. Condizion

Condizion Big Damn Hero

an update appeared and my crash problem disapeared o.o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.