1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Wondering if anyone else is getting a really bad FPS with the new Stable

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Nirnia, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbq1040

bbq1040 Big Damn Hero

The game is definitely a lot slower. I thought it would be improved since it said improvements. I used to not notice a slowdown until I got to a prison or somewhere with lots of things running around but I can feel the lag all the time unless I'm on my ship. Going to an outpost is torture. It's strange since I don't have problems in any other games. I hope they get on top of it sooner than later.

2. Blue

Blue Former Staff

Have you tried "zooming in" on the options? Perhaps you are using a huge resolution AND seeing way too much movement at once since you are zoomed too far out?

3. Mylos

Mylos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've been playing on my laptop while I save for a new pc prior to Upbeat Giraffe and the frame rate wasn't stellar but it was at least in the 20-40 range. Now it's suddenly 1 FPS. I tried removing all my mods from the last stable update and nothing of note happened. However, awhile back I did try out unstable and it worked a bit better before this update. I'm pretty bummed out, I was really looking forward to the update.

4. Blue

Blue Former Staff

I would hope everyone removed their mods when the update hit...
    It's best practice that when any game updates, most mods become incompatible until the mod itself updates too.

5. vanella

vanella Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well before i update the game i make the same thing that you do, unistalled the game and removed all things related to its, so i install a flesh game and begin to play but... well you know the rest, i try play with opengl without Opengl, with or without zoom , play in win64 ''ever in win32'' and i dont have mods, but the lag is there all the same and i have the system requirements. i hope the can fix or give us a solution for this, i really want to play :/

6. Nirnia

Nirnia Void-Bound Voyager

I'm actually going to try that out, because I just updated the game from Unstable right to Stable.

7. Blue

Blue Former Staff

Hopefully one of the Devs logs in soon. They were all up late last night, so It may be a little while. For now, I'm trying to help as best I can without being able to actually help. :rofl:\

Also, if you have any, delete any mods you use. They may not be compatible with the new version.

8. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Have you guys tried the x64 bit executable in the starbound folder?

9. Nirnia

Nirnia Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah I deleted the mods after the first time, but the performance was still hellbent on dragging me through low frames of unhappy playland, also tried the x64 bit launcher without mods again, same hellbent attitude sadly Q~Q

Reinstalling the game right now, so hopefully a fresh new game install will cure my ailments, if not i'll just have to wait for the dev team to hear my pleas Q~Q![DOUBLEPOST=1422553792][/DOUBLEPOST]

Ok so, with the fresh install, it's just the same as before: I lag alot when i'm in the ship, and if there's anything in there with me that's moving (Starbound Crew mod for instance) it intensifies the framerate drop, I can go down to a planet and move around pretty normally until I try to attack something or something tries to hit me, or if I open a box == basically any action other than normal walking and picking up say flowers or seeds.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  10. Mylos

Mylos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Tried verifying through Steam too, then it presented errors and crashed itself upon running the game. Tried the X64 launcher too and still no good. Well I manged to climb to 5-10 fps in the ship and on a planet but doing anything made it awful.

Yeah, best we can do really is wait for a Dev like Blue mentioned.

11. BlazeBlade

BlazeBlade Aquatic Astronaut

I am having the same problem, after trying about everything, i went to the assets folder in the game folder, and then tehres 2 files called asset_packer and asset_unpacker, i just spamclicked both , making sure i clicked on unpacker last , and the first time i logged in after that ( i had deleted my old char and uni files ) i made a new character and was able to play ALMOST lagless, there was just a tiny bit of lag, but it was playable, i tried to do it again but it just didnt work out. will try to delete game folder again and then reinstall it now.

12. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cosmic Narwhal

My friend and I can 'mostly' move around fine on planets, unless we hit a large town. And the outpost lags him so bad he can barely move, while I only experience a little lag.

13. Frozensky

Frozensky Void-Bound Voyager

It's not as smooth as the previous stable version for me, but it's playable. The outpost is where it's worst, with frequent stuttering.

Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83
    6 GB RAM
    Radeon HD 7750
    Windows 7 x64

14. Condizion

Condizion Big Damn Hero

i got a starbound crash here my operational sytem are 32 bits

[​IMG]

15. grapelessnathan

grapelessnathan Space Hobo

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.141211-1742)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: LENOVO
    System Model: 1024DBU
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
    Memory: 6144MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 6058MB RAM
    Page File: 4031MB used, 8083MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Have been too, openGL doesnt work. The config WILL NOT SAVE, so its impossible to edit zoom. Been
    running fine before the most recent patch. The ships seem to lag me the most. Even when I beam down I get lag. Tried everything

Save me based forums

16. Spicynoodle

Spicynoodle Void-Bound Voyager

I just reinstalled Starbound because i hadn't played it since i reformatted my computer. I use to get a stready 60+ FPS everywhere except for underground dungeons and glitch castles (back when the game was in its very first stages). Then another update hit, my FPS dropped a little when they tried to fix the whole 'loading' FPS issue in bigger places. After that, they hauled out another update that was suppose to fix the opimization issues -- i went straight back up to 60 FPS anywhere. I had no issues except when i would enter a sewer dungeon. Even that was a common optimization issue. So then i stopped playing for a little bit because no updates hit. I then saw that they were redoing how everything was optimized -- they rewrote the coding for it. I came back to play, i had steady 60+ FPS again... everywhere. Since then, i have not played starbound in almost a year. I redownloaded the game, and started to play it again -- but this time, i'm hitting 30-40 FPS and when i try to swing my sword or go lower inside the ground, my FPS drops to 20. I'm almost 100% sure its something to do with the game. Maybe not everyone has this issue (Blue), but i'm pretty sure its a common bug happening right now.

17. Quizok

Quizok Subatomic Cosmonaut

I am getting very low fps at the outpost, and sometimes combat lag.

18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I noticed what grinds everything to a halt for a split second, is when the game loads a new music file (Day->Night, etc).

Seems like performance is slightly worse than the last stable build, and I've never run any mods before or after.

19. L_Squared

L_Squared Space Hobo

For some reason i was only getting low fps when going underground into caves etc. For me,for some reason,it was caused by running the steam shortcut.When i run the shortcut from the Starbound folder my lag goes away.

Spicynoodle likes this.
  20. Steelflame Star

Steelflame Star Orbital Explorer

I've been having issues as well. I've had to heavily boost my computer's memory allowed to be used (which causes it's own issues due to my damaged charger not quite keeping up with the computer's energy cost).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.