Dev Blog Witchmarsh: Daily Update #58

Discussion in 'Developer Updates' started by Pirate-rob, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Pirate-rob

Pirate-rob Phantasmal Quasar

Greetings Investigators!

Started work on traits today, sort of like small boons your characters will have.

Today's Progress:
    - Started work on the traits system.

Thanks for reading!

• JohebVenesa

JohebVenesa Space Hobo

First :)

Captain Rage likes this.
      • Tsuruda

Tsuruda Title Not Found

Could you perhaps share a short list with some examples of these traits? Maybe a couple very basic ones or some favorites of the dev team?

• Flapdoddle

Flapdoddle Witchmarsh Developer

They function in a similar way to Perks in the Fallout games. They add a sense of personalisation/character to your investigators, while also providing stat boosts and passive effects.

Placed together, three traits also make up a fun descriptor of your character. Take Oscar here, the rowdy, musical traveling salesman!

[​IMG]

Captain Rage and Tsuruda like this.
          • Tsuruda

Tsuruda Title Not Found

That actually reminds me of Castle Falkenstein's character sheets. They were more akin to short character descriptions in prose (rather than just looking like your taxes).
            Also, these traits unlock unique interactions in specific scenarios like Fallout's perks do?

And will there be class specific traits aside from those special ones that modify the base class (like Moose's "Seaworthy" or the Trapper's "Woodcutter")? For example, is "Traveling Salesman" specific for the Gentleman class? Or for these there are broader categories, like "Traveling Salesman" being available for the more social/charismatic classes (Bard, Gentleman, Ilusionist...), while the outcasts/loners (Guardian and Scribe come to mind) get a different range of options?

• Flapdoddle

Flapdoddle Witchmarsh Developer

I'll have to check with Rob on traits being used to unlock dialogue choices, I've definitely *written* some, but whether they function yet I'm not sure. :) Either way, it won't be a hugely common occurrence, unless it's specifically built around unlocking new dialogue choices (like the talent 'Silver Tongue').

There are a quite few class-specific talents. I don't want to spoil them though! One of my favourites is the 'Duelist' one for the gentleman which upgrades all of his weapon skills, and the 'Evergreen' talent for the Guardian, which makes them take less frost/cold damage.

And Traveling Salesman isn't Gent-exclusive.

Tsuruda likes this.