Dev Blog Witchmarsh: Daily Update #45 (Updated)

Discussion in 'Developer Updates' started by Flapdoddle, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Flapdoddle

Flapdoddle Witchmarsh Developer

Greetings investigators,

Yet more story progress. I'm giving myself two more days to get this cutscene locked down, then I really need to press on with the other scenes - broad strokes, and all that.

I also made some tweaks to another major scene, adding several new branches.

Today's progress:
    - (Major scene) Dialogue progress.
    - 1 existing cutscene/branch improved.
    - 3 new NPC encounters.
    - Bug testing and proofreading.

Joe is busy as ever, working on the environments; we'll look into him doing some Dev Blog posts soon, as it's bound to be more interesting than story news.

Thanks for reading, just the same! :)

• Flapdoddle

Update #45.5

I'm afraid you're stuck with me again.

A cold and rainy day here in Sweden. Perfect for writing new dialogue scenes and converting old ones to GML. Fun fact: I've had the ability to create my own dialogue Game Maker Language files for Witchmarsh for around seven weeks, and in that time was able to create 161 dialogue events.

These range from the brief (inspecting things, one-liner NPCs), to cutscenes, to optional branching conversations spanning 20-30 pages of A4.

Today's progress:
      - (Major cutscene) First part of scene locked down and converted to GML. Part two is done already, leaving two more sections to go.
      - 3 minor dialogue events converted to GML.
      - 1 new NPC encounter. (Only one but it's a kind of a whopper, I'm really proud of it.)
      - Some top secret documentation [insert spy emoji here].

Thanks for checking in. :)

Tsuruda and Captain Rage like this.
      • Flapdoddle

Update #45.99999999999999 (etc)

Still crunching on the story and co-ordinating with Joe on the environments/level design. Rob's had personal things on his plate this week, but he should be back on the case come Monday morning!

Today's progress:
        - (Major scene) Finished at last! This weekend I'll be converting it to in-game files to make up for lost time (took 3 days longer than anticipated).
        - Guardian and Moose-only dialogue choices added to 1 event.
        - Added some secret dialogue branches and easter eggs, accessible to specific characters.
        - Wrote an ultra-compact story overview for internal use.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
          Tsuruda likes this.