Dev Blog Witchmarsh Daily Update #29

Discussion in 'Developer Updates' started by Flapdoddle, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Flapdoddle

Flapdoddle Witchmarsh Developer

Hey Investigators,

I've been busy working on the NPC dialogue, as well as more character-exclusive choices.

Sometimes the regular choices can sound too American for the Gentleman, and the Moose is, well, the Moose.

Here's how it will work. The players are at a cocktail party, where they meet an inebriated party-guest, throwing books everywhere in the library.

HTML:
    Giddy Stephens: "Incredible. Half of them haven't even been
    opened! You can save money with replicas, you know [throwing a few
    more books over his shoulder for good measure] - but these are all real!
    I wonder if he'd notice if I borrowed a few."

1. Should you be doing that?
    2. [Intimidate 3] Knock it off, spectacles, or you'll be playing a harp.
    3. Goodbye. (Leave)
    Below are the three choices available to most investigators. If they pick '1. Should you be doing that?' he responds with:

HTML:
    Giddy Stephens: "Can't think of a reason not to!"
    A real smart guy, eh? Well, the Moose's choices look slightly different (he's mute, after all).

HTML:
    1. (Furrow your brows. Should he be doing that?)
    2. [Intimidate 3] ('Persuade' him to cut it out.)
    3. (Leave.)
    Anyway, let's say you click 'intimidate' and use your skill points to stop this madness.

HTML:
    Giddy Stephens: "*Hic* ... I'll be good."
    Sanity prevails!

Today's Progress:
    - Moose-only choices added to 10 dialogue files.
    - Gentleman-only choices added to 4 dialogue files.
    - Curator-only choices added to 1 dialogue file.
    - 1 new cutscene.
    - 2 new NPC encounters.
    - Checked the dialogue files for errors, fixed more than a few.

That's all from me. Have a great evening.

Oh and, bonus points if you know who the bookshelf vandal is a reference to!

- Lou

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
      YesNoMaybeISay likes this.
    • YesNoMaybeISay

YesNoMaybeISay Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, that's pretty cool.
      Seems like it'd be pretty funny playing as the Moose in dialogue heavy areas, like if you're talking to an occult group or about lore. I like the substitutes for dialogue you've given him in the example.

I've got a few small questions I came up with looking back over some old blog posts:
      - Are abilities part of your small hotkey bar at the bottom of the screen with items and weapons?
      - Does the dialogue example saying [Intimidate 3] mean that it only has a chance to work if your intimidation is at 3, and the higher it is the higher chance it has to work?
      - Can all characters equip a variety of weapons, or do they each have a unique melee and ranged weapon? If so, does it show on their sprite?
      - Can you camp anywhere when exploring?
      - Can you repeat levels/areas? If so, doesn't that mean that going back to low level areas mean that you'll find just about everything because you would have upgraded your skills (perception, intimidation etc.)?

Sorry, I know that's a lot of questions, but I'd appreciate it if you could answer some.

Keep up the good work!

• Pirate-rob

Pirate-rob Phantasmal Quasar

I believe I know the answers to most of these, but Lou may correct me:
        1. Yes, abilities go in the same hotbar as weapons and items.
        2. Not sure about this one, though, from what I guess, as long as your skill is higher/equal to the skill required, you can use the option and succeed.
        3. Currently characters have melee weapons unique to them, but most characters can use any gun (with a few exceptions).
        4. Probably in most places, as long as there are no monsters near by.
        5. You will be able to backtrack to levels, but they'll be in the same state you left them in. (so you might be able to find new things, but if dialogues can only be played once, you can't play em again to get new options)

Hope that answers your questions properly :)