1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[Wiring] Limited Number of connections

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Lukovski, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Lukovski

Lukovski Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So today, I tried to build a 8-Bit Adder. This worked out pretty great (see pictures), but when I went to visit my 4-Bit Adder on the same planet, there were some missing wires.
    So I found out, that the number of elements you can connect is limited. I don't know the exact number, but i think it's around 100.
    Can anybody tell me, if that is the limit on a single planet or in the entire universe. I don't want to build stuff on other planets and ruin my 8-Bit Adder.
    Thanks for the help in advance.

8-Bit Adder
    Screenshot 2014-03-05 18.18.35.jpg

8-Bit Adder (with wires showing)
    Screenshot 2014-03-05 18.20.16.jpg

ganessaroland likes this.
  2. Sectrix

Sectrix Phantasmal Quasar

As far as I know, it isn't a limit on the number of connections. There is a known wiring bug that deletes wires that cross chunk boundaries if they don't load at the same time. It has been fixed if you remain on planet (or so I'm told), but if everyone leaves the planet, the wires can get deleted.

As an example, I wired up a bunch of OR gates to try and find my chunk boundaries - many more than you have here - and I only lost those that crossed the boundaries.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  3. Grimmturd

Grimmturd Cosmic Narwhal

o_O I ... cannot understand wiring... what am I looking at? Why is this seemingly simplistic feature so foreign to me?:notworthy:

I thought these forums were for English-speaking people only! :confused:

MarcusDemonicus likes this.
  4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

<Looks at Picture>
    <Stares bliankly and smiles>
    <thinks of Donuts - while pretending to understand what he is seeing>
    ==
    I don't know about any limitation in number of wires
    But I do know there is a known bug if wires are crossed - they become unloaded when you leave.

5. Sectrix

OP made an 8-bit adder (can add two numbers between 0 and 255), and I made an experiment (although a poorly designed one) to find my chunk boundaries so I can install optical links as a workaround till they fix the wiring bug.

Believe it or not, real life digital devices (including computers) can be built solely from the logic gates available in the game. In other words, with the wiring in Starbound, you can make a game that runs on a computer, that's built within a game running on a real computer.

6. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

I want to see someone make a working Tetris game on Starbound. I assume it's possible, but I really don't understand how.

ganessaroland likes this.
  7. Grimmturd

Grimmturd Cosmic Narwhal

@Sectrix I believe I already posted the minecraft 16-bit computer link from youtube in another of your threads regarding wiring and a tic-tac-toe game. I think that video was the first official "computer in a computer" in Minecraft, which spawned many, many more elaborate versions as well as nod from Notch himself. Keep up the great work (I'm assuming it's great) and good luck with your wiring problem.

8. Sectrix

Yes, you did! Sorry, didn't notice it was the same person.

9. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Wiring, glitch trapdoors, fine sand or gravel, lots of free time, and magic. Lots of magic, because I don't understand much of the wiring at all. I know logic, and I can follow it when I spend enough time to decipher what the gates are and stuff, but... yeah, I'm no EE.

10. Sartorius

Sartorius Subatomic Cosmonaut

There is a bug that causes wires to randomly disconnect.

11. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

its not randomly
    its when the connections of the wire are in different chunks and they dont load/unload at the same time
    if you do an experiment with many wires across the screen, unload all the chunks one at a time, then load them one at a time, do this several times and you will see all the same wires disappear every time

Dante12129 likes this.
  12. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

I hope they fix that wiring bug soon. I want to be able to make my giant castle, with a floor entirely made of trap doors, that drops everyone down onto wooden spikes if they misbehave!
    Nice 8-bit adder, btw.

Grimmturd likes this.
  13. Grimmturd

Grimmturd Cosmic Narwhal

Why only torture them with spikes when you can use PROPELLERS?

14. Paragon123

Paragon123 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Here is a simple programmable processor... Lots of connections, I had to do all the connections in a single sitting because they where getting lost whenever I died or saved...

Sectrix and neil_v like this.
  15. Master_Discord

Master_Discord Big Damn Hero

Man I think a few someones need a FPGA board to play with.

Dante12129 likes this.
  16. Sectrix

Nicely done! Makes tic-tac-toe look like a kid's game. I'll have to try something like this over break.

Maybe we should start a repository for wiring schematics?

Dante12129 and neil_v like this.
  17. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

I mean the insta-kill version of wooden spikes. But propellers work too.

18. Lukovski

Lukovski Scruffy Nerf-Herder

When I returned to my Adder today, there were almost no wires left. I hope this gets fixed soon.

19. InsanityPixelated

InsanityPixelated Existential Complex

I've converted an Apex Research Laboratory to be my base.
    I built it down halfway through the planet, with the same Light Metal and steel block style. I then Connected every door in the facility to a Switch.

The Lockdown.

*POOF*

Half of it is gone....