Building/Ship WIP: Very Large City

Discussion in 'Screenshots' started by Squaky, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Squaky

Squaky Pangalactic Porcupine

This is a project I've been working on for a couple of weeks now. The long term plan is a massive tiered city with a huge slum on ground level beneath an apex style middle level for the working and middle classes and a luxurious futuristic city on top of that all with a kind of dystopian feel to it. Underground I want to build a high-tech lab with containment cells for all the more outlandish tenants and monsters as a way of making them all fit the general aesthetic, and a huge reactor connected to the planets core to power the whole thing. I want it to end up looking a bit like Midgar from Final Fantasy 7. In the long term I want to build multiple residential, industrial and commercial sectors on each level with a few standalone 'feature pieces' like a spaceport, concert hall, a zoo and some deep mines for the underclass to toil in. I also plan to put a transit system between the middle and upper levels using the graviton rails mod. As you can see, so far I've only managed to get about halfway through the first residential sector on the middle tier, and I've nearly finished the first level of the first of many 'struts' that will gradually get more high tech the higher you go. This is my first build using background blocks to try and create a sense of perspective, as well as a kind of pseudo 3d effect on the foreground buildings. Would love to know what people think is effective and what isnt.

Attached Files:

2. MetalArrow

MetalArrow Subatomic Cosmonaut

Looks cool so far. When I read the word 'slum' I immediately thought Midgar. :)

Squaky likes this.
  3. moremuffin

moremuffin Cosmic Narwhal

Looks promising. I look forward to seeing more of this.

One thing though, a few of your roofing sections have no way to drain so they'll be filling up with water every time you get some heavy rain.

Squaky likes this.
  4. Squaky

5. WillSaurus

WillSaurus Star Wrangler

So far it's looking good. Making a tiered-level city is always a good idea and I can't wait to see more.

Squaky likes this.
  6. Squaky

Finished the first residential section this evening. Its made up of three actual habitable blocks that will get furniture and tenants once I can be sure they won't crash my computer or be able to walk to their deaths, a bunch of background buildings, and a park with a monument in the middle. Still trying to figure out what to put underneath, as I'd like to include some water tanks and power switches to control the various lights. I also want to put security checkpoints at either end linking to the support struts, and I'm still trying to figure out how they should look. The teleporters and yarnspinners and stuff are just there for the time being to make getting around easier.

Attached Files:

7. BreacK

BreacK Subatomic Cosmonaut

Wow I'm impressed. You got some nice building skills. ;) I esspecially like the houses in the background. They make everything look so city-ish
    I'm looking forward to seeing more. Keep up the great work ^^

Squaky likes this.
  8. Squaky

Finished the underground part of this area. I've put wire controls on the various background building lights, as well as the foreground streetlamps. I've also put in electric, heating, water and sewage areas underneath each apartment block, and built two security checkpoints on either side of the area. Particularly pleased with the entry scanner: I made a small mod to give the palm scanner an input node. To enter you activate the palm scanner to open the first door, step on the pressure plate which shuts off the palm scanner and closes the door and switches on each light in sequence using delay gates so it looks like your being scanned from top to bottom. Once the scan is complete the second door opens, letting you through into the residential area.

Attached Files:

9. Starfeather

Starfeather Phantasmal Quasar

This is one of the coolest builds I've seen in a long time. I myself wanted to make a big city like this, but didn't really know how to go about it. Now I've got inspiration and something to learn from. Can't wait for more screenshots!

10. Squaky

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm currently working on the bottom level, the slums although its proving a lot more difficult to come up with an aesthetic for this than it was the middle level. I've torn down and rebuilt this structure (incomplete) at least 10 times. There doesn't seem to be that many tiles that really lend themselves to this kind of environment.

Attached Files:

11. Squaky

Unfortunately the planet file for this world has seemed to become corrupt so I don't think I can carry on. Every time I get past a certain point on the surface I'm automatically teleported back to my ship. The .world file hasn't failed but I don't seem able to recover it, so unless someone knows a way to fix it then this is done for now!

12. jakecool19

jakecool19 Pangalactic Porcupine

Sorry to hear that. Guess your city was too good for that world.

13. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

14. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

I love the background buildings. Are you using outpost lights as windows? That's a great idea.

15. Squaky

Yup. I discovered them by accident but they're really handy, on closer buidings they look like window panes and further away they work just by themselves. Plus you can set your city to turn its lights on when it gets dark with the light sensor which is a pretty nice effect.

TheFloranChef and SivCorp like this.
  16. Squaky

Last picture. Really annoyed as I'd just figured out how I was going to build the slum level. Was going to have a very cramped, multi-level look with gangways and open street sections.

Attached Files:

17. MetalArrow

MetalArrow Subatomic Cosmonaut

Did you spawn all those blocks or did you actually craft them?

18. Wisty

Wisty Subatomic Cosmonaut

It's very interesting how you build entire buildings in the background like that. It really adds more depth to the build to make it seem bigger than it really is. It isn't really to my taste, but there are a lot of well made practical buildings too.

19. Squaky

Lol, no chance! This was just to see the biggest most detailed city I could make, if I'd farmed for all those blocks and then lost the planet I'd have been fuming!