1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Frosthaven's compendium of feedback

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Frosthaven, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Frosthaven

Frosthaven Subatomic Cosmonaut

Alright, so the Avian known as "Frostwing" has some feedback from the first two patch cycles to talk about! I'll try not to ramble, but rambling is sort of what I do best!

BEFORE YOU READ THIS, NOTE THAT THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IN REFERENCING ITEMS AND OR ENVIRONMENTS THAT YOU MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE COME ACROSS.

ABOARD THE SHIP & BASICS
    There needs to be a "delete character" button.

There needs to be a flag set for when you leave a party. If you rejoin the server within n seconds/minutes, it should automatically re-add you to the party you were in. Being able to right click a person's name from chat and invite them to party would be a bonus.

Remove the ability for me to access navigation controls of a friend's ship. It took me a few tries to realize that even though I was in his ship I was actually moving my own behind the scenes and not his.

When typing in coordinates manually, the navigator should automatically take me to the starmap view. As it stands, I have to click "Find Random" first, and then type in the coordinates. This seems to be a strange fight where the UI isn't user friendly.

Give us some sort of bookmarking capability for planets / planet groups where we can label and save coordinates for later. Notepad.exe need not apply.

Give us a way to beam to our own ship from within a friend's ship (if it doesn't already exist and I'm blind). Shouldn't have to go to a planet and then beam back up just to get back to my own ship.

Change it so that dropping below platforms works like this: Duck (S) and hit space bar to drop. Continue holding BOTH S and spacebar to continue dropping past more platforms.

Let us change controls. I haven't had issues, but several of my friends have thrown away items due to the proximity of one key to another.

INVENTORY MANAGEMENT
    Larger sized storage containers should have more storage space. Right now, only small chests are of any use due to their small footprint and equal storage return. I suggest scaling storage size based on how many units the storage device takes up when placed, as it's easy to mathematically calculate and easy to understand.

Right click should not split a stack in half. it should add a single count of the item to your cursor, incriminating faster as you continue to hold right click down. Attempting to give a friend a single gold ore is like pulling teeth.

We need more inventory features. Deposit all, quick stack, quick draw (filling up stacks in our inventory from the container).

Give us some thumbprint containers that only our character can open. I trust my friends, don't get me wrong, but sometimes a little privacy goes a long way. Don't forget to mark it as indestructable unless it's owner is trying to destroy it.

Allow us to name a container object placed in the world, so that hovering over it will show the name in a tooltip popup. Perhaps make a chat box show up above the container when moused over while holding the alt key?

CRAFTING
    When clicking on the 3D Printer, the search box should not be immediately focused. I want to be able to hit -I- for inventory and grab something to drop into the window, not search for items that start with -I-.

You know that little quantity input box? Let's take out the preceding "x" in the total. Let's also make it so that clicking on the "less" button when the current displayed quantity is 1 will populate the maximum you can create. No need to keep typing 9's out for such a simple task!

TRAVERSING THE WORLD
    Oh what's that? You got the dash ability? Awesome! Now you can safely traverse an entire planet in less than a couple of minutes and pick apart the surface without any effort. Make the dash use more energy. Give me 2-3 good bursts of it but then make me wait for a recharge. I'll miss the free ride across the globe, but it'd be smarter balance.

Gravity Bubble (or whatever it is called). Yeah....so....infinite flight. I haven't even gotten beyond steel armor and I'm already able to just fly around endlessly? Staple that sucker to the energy system so I can't freely navigate wherever I choose indefinitely. Oh, while you are at it there is a weird issue with the gravity bubble and fall damage. Sometimes when landing, even if I hover over the ground for a little bit before landing, I take enormous fall damage as if I fell from a 3 story building.

Those are the only techs I've come across, so I can't comment on the other ones.

I like to call this one the ninja bed - place a bed behind a wall and then click on it. Tada! I'll admit it's fun, and I'm not really sure it causes any harm. If being able to bypass any blocks by using beds is suitable, then keep it in. Otherwise, do a collision check before putting the character to sleep in the cozy blankets (or interrogation table, if that's your style).

You know that little compass under player portraits in a party? Make the dial red / orange / yellow / green based on how far away from you they are.

Give me a reason to go underground. I made a test character with the sole intention of avoiding going too far down and found it was entirely too easy to progress without actually spelunking anything. I just sort of grabbed everything from the surface area and maybe a screen below it.

Speaking of digging - what's up with every planet (including snow planets) having a big plain and boring lake of fire at the bottom? My friends and I assume it's a placeholder for something yet to come, but it's been noted.

While we're on the subject of digging, let's talk placing! I feel having to hold the shift key for single block/precision placement might be better as a toggled key instead? Maybe that's just my own preference, though.

Platformer mazes and specific biome areas should be flagged as indestructable/unplaceable. I was really excited to find an underground maze where I had to safely jump across electric traps and down long shafts with winding spikes along the way. Just kidding I brought dirt and a pickaxe. I really want to enjoy the hard work that was put into those platformer 'tests' that were designed.

Civil wars! Some planets when generated could have two factions of inhabitants at war with one another. Give us a quest to choose a side and some cool rewards to go with it when we take out the enemy leader!

COMBAT & ENEMIES
    I have no idea why I'd ever want to use a short range weapon such as a dagger? This might be misinformation, but it seems like they are a waste of space. Perhaps if daggers had some sort of stunlocking mechanic where we could guarantee 2 or 3 hits before the enemy is flung back? I'm not certain about this and could be wrong, but it's just something I've noted here on my list. Or better yet, why not make the daggers the ultimate and most potent status inflictors! And if you are dual wielding, stack the status effect! Hmmm...I have another idea about this too...

Give us a sneaking mechanic with short ranged weapons! If you have a short ranged blade equipped, you can duck and move at the same time. Doing so will decrease the chance of an enemy detecting you until you are just about on top of them. Attacking from a sneaking position will grant you some sort of bonus multiplier but also take you out of sneaking until combat is ended (when the battle music goes away).

Stop letting me attack things through walls with large weapons. I've cheesed my way through many dungeons and strong enemies by drawing a box around them and then poking at them safely. If you put collision checks on weapon swings, I might actually have to fight a mob properly once in awhile.

We really should be able to aim certain weapons, namely spears and short range swords. With all of the mob types that jump around it seems almost pointless to hold any weapon that doesn't shoot or have an overhead swing atm.

Humanoids with guns. Holy mother of bananas! Get rid of their knockback, or give them substantial "reload" animations. Something. It feels like enemies with guns have game genie running in the background - make that feeling stop.

Mob Variety - they look different sure. I've boiled just about every surface mob in the game into the following categories: Charging, spitting, or flying. Hmmm that doesn't sound all that massive when you think about it. Maybe we could do with some worm style creatures? Maybe more?

Anyways, I have a lot more on this list of mine that I'll update later as well as keeping this post updated in general. For now I think I gave you guys enough to read! I'm absolutely loving Starbound and everything it's shown to me so far. Can't wait to see how this evolves!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  2. Frosthaven

Frosthaven Subatomic Cosmonaut

Added a crafting section