1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Arachne 1.17

Adds the Arachne race to Starbound

1. Quintexial

Quintexial Subatomic Cosmonaut

Quintexial submitted a new mod:

WIP: Arachne - Adds the Arachne race to Starbound

Read more about this mod...

2. Saint Apollyon

Saint Apollyon Phantasmal Quasar

It keeps giving me the client ship world error whenever I try to play. ;; At least the sprites look nice.

3. Quintexial

If you don't mind giving me a log file? I'd like to see what causes the error.
    Edit: Found the problem. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Saint Apollyon likes this.
  4. Quintexial

5. Eric

Eric Existential Complex

I was thinking, a web grappling hook would be pretty rad

6. pd1992

pd1992 Void-Bound Voyager

I doubt I can sprite a ship properly (cuz I know NOTHING about coding) but I can do some concept art and post it here and there to inspire someone who can sprite up a storm. Might work on some other artwork ideas involving this race using a new art program I installed recently.

I also have some ideas that might fit the spider theme but overall theme I'm not sure. Was thinking web inspired blocks like webbed fencing and doors made through the construction workbench by using silk fibre and wood materials.

7. floranman111

floranman111 Big Damn Hero

It needs a cutebound version

8. pd1992

Played as the race a bit and I noticed a few things.

The hitbox is larger but the base health doesn't reflect it. I'm getting hit much more often due to the alterations to the hitbox and I occasionally got my spiderbutt stuck in a wall when mining with the starter 2x2 manipulator.

Also the jump height is huge, and there is no reduced fall damage to match so it may be a good idea to add that or modify the race's fall to mitigate that. Otherwise, the jump is accurate to a scaled up jumping spider so I approve, but the fall damage is a problem.

What I did like is the purple colors of the ship lights and the animation of the legs moving in a realistic manner. Made me believe they were actual spider legs.

And the placeholder armors and ship leaves a lot of potential for a new theme that would fit the race. So I won't have to worry about sticking to an existing design theme when I draw. I'll get some rough line art sketches drawn up and (hopefully) get them posted tonight.

As for the armor, any particular themes come to mind they'd like to see the Arachne in? Id like to hear everyone's opinion on that.

9. Saint Apollyon

I have trouble thinking of one theme that would fit the Arachne, in all honesty, spider people hold a lot of potential. Personally, I think a sort of Egyptian/Romani style of culture would suite them quite well, at least visually. I feel as if the clothes and armor would be similar to that of the Avians and Florans, but a little "dressier"? Whenever I think of cultural clothes for spider people, silky, gaudy stuff comes to mind, that's mostly just my personal preference though.

10. pd1992

I'll do some cultural research to see if anything that matches this description existed/exists cuz I swear there is one I recall that matches this

11. Quintexial

12. Quintexial

13. Quintexial

14. pd1992

I did a little research on the Romani culture and flag. I have an idea for a flag similar to the Romani flag layout but with the colors gold and white in the background and a purple spider at its center in place of the pinwheel. Romani are nomadic and I know there are plenty of spider species that always change up hunting grounds from time to time so it would definately fit beautifully. The outfits range from plain to flashy depending on their era so I'll need to go deeper on that research to find out which would fit the Arachne best. And the inclusion of the aracne panel and furnishings helps give me an idea in a ship asthetic for the concept art. Maybe something akin to a ship being held together with webbing and metal similar to how floran meld plants and tech. I have a lot of ideas to play with thanks to that update.

As for any art, I apologize that I won't be able to get any up tonight due to stomach bug. I did get basic skeleton sketches done but no ship concepts or outfits yet.

The jump fix did help with fall damage, but the hitbox is still a concern for me being so wide. I do understand that the hitbox reflects the additional spiderbody parts so it does give me a better feel for planning landings between jumps. The extra hp will definately help when critters start swarming though so I can live with some inconveniences the hitbox presents when it comes to mining in narrow caves (perfect for people who prefer heavy combat)

As for armor names, I'll study up on spider species names and do some sketches of Romani inspired designs for the first 3 tiers at least coupled with the ship concept art.

I'm really excited to get started as soon as I can.

Quintexial and Saint Apollyon like this.
  15. pd1992

found an image I'll be using as inspiration for the costume/armors for the Arachne race as I draw them. Romani costumes are so colorful.

[​IMG]

as for the ship, I'll get some concepts for a Tier 1 ship up and drawn.

Saint Apollyon and Quintexial like this.
  16. Quintexial

17. Saint Apollyon

I'm glad that the cultural idea is going well! I really look forward to seeing the idea for the ship as well.

18. pd1992

Yeah, there is a lot of great materials to work with in the Romani culture. Especially the wagon designs. Ill try getting some ship concepts up soon (new program so not used to it so quality is low) due note the upcoming concepts are more focused on the spider aspect rather than the cultural aspect because I drawn them up before coming across wagon designs

19. pd1992

roughs and basic ideas behind them being either carapace like plating on the hull with silks and webbing holding it together as for the second concept, that should be self explanitory being designed after a spider. Sorry if the image isn't as clean. this art program handles very differently than what I'm used to.

Attached Files:

Saint Apollyon and Quintexial like this.
  20. Quintexial