1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed WinXP: My adventures in beta-bug-bound

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by SunnyBrightside, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Thanks alot, will do.

Aswell thanks to you, loving the helpfull community :) Pretty decent ^^

2. Milavelo

Milavelo Big Damn Hero

My game is now unplayable due to huge FPS loss with this new update.

The lag is so bad, I can't even move.

This problem is primarily on planets, not the Ship or Main Menu, or loading up the game.

Before, when using Sammy's fix, I had perfect FPS.

I'd rather not describe my specs since the game was working just fine before with Sammy's fix, so my specs can't be the issue here..

:confused:

3. Vadise

Vadise Aquatic Astronaut

I havent noticed an FPS drop myself. But what I normally do with this kind of thing is either lower the resolution, zoom to x2, open the taskmanager and set the priority to normal, and close all other CPU/Memory intensive programs like Skype or Firefox.

But what I think would help greatly is an option to turn dynamic lightning off, or a draw distance slider.

You could also try the OpenGL version, see if it helps. For one it seems a tad more stable.

4. SunnyBrightside

SunnyBrightside Subatomic Cosmonaut

I wouldn't be to TERRIBLY sure it isn't your specs. Could be the new update, but I know that my game ran better with Sammy's fix, but I decided to stop playing with that and try to get the game to work without it (hence why I redownloaded sammy's RIGHT BEFORE the 12/10 patch. I was getting tired of having the task manager open to play the game). One thing I would recommend you do is update your video drivers...

Heck, I recommend this for EVERYONE. Make SURE your video card drivers are up to date! I was trying to play the game with 1.5 year old drivers, and it would only just chunk along.

Another thing that I can attest to (if the video card drivers doesn't help) is that this game is hard on 2GB of RAM, another thing I was playing on until about a day or two ago. This isn't nearly as easy (or cheap) a thing to update as drivers, but doubling my RAM also helped a ton.

Other then that, yea, I'm don't know what to say. As you said before, you HAD played just fine before hand, and now it's not working. I'm not entirely sure what they may have changed to make the game really laggy for you, as I haven't run into that problem myself.

I'll also agree to having an option to turn the dynamic lighting off. As much as it makes the game beautiful, it really tears at my computer. ESPECIALLY in a bunker, with all the flickering blue lights, my computer can't keep up with all of them! Before long I get that graphical artifacting crash (I can last, maybe, 15 minutes in one of these bunkers/highly lit dungeons? I can't be too sure anymore, since I haven't been in one in a while)

ALSO, my game updated today (Dec. 11)! Let's see what's changed, shall we?

5. Vadise

Vadise Aquatic Astronaut

From what they said in the announcements, it was just a tweak to fix the damage on weapons. But yes. now that I played without sammy's fix. Performance has degraded some, it wasnt perceptible at first glance, but when you try to play, you notice. I find myself being unable to advance as enemies are all glitching back and forth in my screen due to lag. (I was nearly killed by a level 1 bird, because I could not hit it after like 15 attacks)

And since they also removed the ability to hit through walls, I am kind of stuck until some function comes up to improve performance, like the dynamic lightning or draw distance options. 4 frames per seccond is not enough to play, other than to build and farm.

I will heed your suggestion and check my drivers, but so far my ram is maxed out, and adding more in DDR1 is unlikely to help at all. I am possitive I will be able to run this properly once optimization is done, I used to play terraria in multiplayer just fine.

6. SunnyBrightside

Alright then, just some suggestions, I really don't know what's up, since I play the game, lag-free, just "fine." Still a ton of crashes though, but, as we know, beta-is-beta.

Speaking of, this game does NOT like doing things right as night falls or day breaks. This is typically the time that I have a problem, really, especially since I'm ALWAYS doing something when Night or Day happens (well, I'm always DOING something in general). The game likes to crash to the desktop (from now on I'll be referring to this as CTD) as I'm doing SOMETHING at the break of day or start of night. Don't really know what causes it, but I can say that this has happened at least 4-5 times. Also, I can't seem to get through more then 3 or 4 day cycles without a crash. Just a little update here.

I can get through the transition from day to night, and night to day just fine. I can place objects, swing a sword, and generally do stuff just fine also, but doing both just doesn't work. I wonder if this is what's caused some of my CTD's while underground as well.

EDIT: Well.. twice now has it CTDed on the transition to night. I'll try another character, and see if it's the planet I'm on. If that doesn't help, then there may be a bit of a problem with the day transitions (Also, excuse me if others are reporting this as well, I hardly take my eyes off this particular thread, just kinda in my own world here)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  7. Vadise

Vadise Aquatic Astronaut

I suppose that the background of the surface and the background of underground is the same thing. I may be wrong here, I am only supposing here. But if that is so, then it makes sense day-night transitions are causing you problems underground, since it would be no different if you were on surface or deep below. Someone can confirm or deny this?

8. Knifepoint

Knifepoint Space Spelunker

I have had this bug several times too. most frequently when the game has crashed and i re-launch it from the launcher.

9. Shesy

Shesy Space Hobo

I am one of those who can't get it to work. Will you still try to fix that in the next patch?

10. Adam rocks

Adam rocks Space Hobo

Since the update keep getting the access violation problem, how do you get the game through steam to redownload so as to get a new sdl file as I was using the patch to help play the last game before update.

Any pointers, did try verifying game cache but that says it is fine

john

11. SunnyBrightside

If verifying the game cache doesn't work... Try... redownloading? *shrugs* I mean, can't hurt, yea? But if you backed up the old SDL file before installing Sammy's patch, you may want to actually put that into the folder first, replacing sammy's patch. If THAT doesn't help, Verify by going into your steam game library, right clicking the game name and... Um... Doing... Stuff? Truth be told, just replacing the SDL file was fine with me, and I don't verify game file enough for me to have it memorized, and I'm doing so many other things right now that I don't really feel like checking (I could, really, I just don't feel like doing more things because I'm lazy)

Uh... If none of that works... then... Re-downloading is my next suggestion... And if THAT don't work, a hay-penny will do, and if you haven't got a hay-penny then god bless you.

12. SunnyBrightside

ALSO! NOTE! Don't play an instrument... And then Beam down to the planet... My computer didn't like it, and yours might not either!

13. Vadise

Vadise Aquatic Astronaut

To get steam to redownload, you go into your library, right click on your game, and choose to delete local content. It will uninstall starbound. And it will allow you to redownload it. Or you go into windows control pannel add or remove programs, and uninstall starbound. Then you just manually delete your starbound folder from your steam folder to be sure.

14. SunnyBrightside

And unfortunately for me, that's all I can do for today. Didn't really get a whole lot of play time in, and I gotta pass out because of work and the like, but ran into some problems... Can't say it was REALLY anything new. Also, it seems the game is even MORE unstable after the weapon balancing update today, might just be me though. I'll be back tomorrow with more stuff that's going wrong (or, maybe, more of the same stuff).

15. kidnamerock

kidnamerock Big Damn Hero

YOU TOOK MY FUN AWAY
    im so bored.....

16. Milavelo

Milavelo Big Damn Hero

Well, if it matters that much SunnyBrightside, I can run the TERA MMORPG with full maxed out settings, at a high res, with stable fast FPS.

So there's an example of my specs.. o_O

17. SunnyBrightside

Odd... I really don't know the problem then, as my computer and game run just fine... For the most part, anyway. Can't say I can really help ya, as I said in the original post, I'm not actually a techy, I'm surprised I can spot fix some of the problems my computer has (and those are childsplay compared to some of the things that HAS gone wrong with my comp), so I wouldn't actually be able to pinpoint the problem for you, even if you told me everything in graphic detail.

Anyway, back to playing, finding out what's gone wrong, what's right, and just having more fun with crashes :rofl:

18. SunnyBrightside

Hmm... Came across this crash today. Dunno if I could recreate it, and don't know what it all means, but hey, the point of this thread is just for me to post all the crash error things, and bugs, that I come across. So here is.

[​IMG]

19. Milavelo

Milavelo Big Damn Hero

That last line.

"SDL_win32_main"

Besides that, it apparently crashed since it couldn't load a gorilla monster.

:confused:

20. SunnyBrightside

Huh.... Odd. Anyway, One final thing before I go to bed, I'm still getting the Artifacting bug, but so far it hasn't actually crashed on me, it just forces a lower resolution, and that's about it. I have to save and quit the entire game to make it better, but at least it's not a complete crash (also, it commonly happens when I warp from ship to planet.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.