1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed WinXP: My adventures in beta-bug-bound

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by SunnyBrightside, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SunnyBrightside

SunnyBrightside Subatomic Cosmonaut

So, as a note, it still seems that the game doesn't like doing multiple things at once. The most frequent crash I get doesn't come with any warning, but every time the game tries to do two things at once. Whether it be changing from night to day time and talking to an NPC, or something going on while swinging a sword, it still has the likelyhood of crashing. Albeit, it's a lot more stable now then it was, but there are still some more bugs to fix and things to tweek.

2. GabirilosGR

GabirilosGR Scruffy Nerf-Herder

After the newly update my game crashes on the startup
    I dont know what to do can you help me in any ways?

3. Blackspawn

Blackspawn Tentacle Wrangler

Now that looks retro. :D

4. Blackspawn

Blackspawn Tentacle Wrangler

Have the Steam client verify your game files.

5. GabirilosGR

GabirilosGR Scruffy Nerf-Herder

doing it right now, hopefully it will work

6. Vadise

Vadise Aquatic Astronaut

I can verify the graphical glitch. As it has been the ONLY reason for me to crash thus far. I have not updated yet, I am using Sammy's fix (Will update later today)

The glitch happens whenever the computer gets a heavy load. It happens to me consistently in villages. Where the framerate is near zero for a few secconds in lag spikes. It artifacts out like in the screenshot up there, and comes back at a distorted low resolution, a couple more secconds and it repeats again and again, and finally you get access violation and Visual Basic errors and you crash out.

It happened to me once while looking at the navigation chart. But as I said, it affects villages the most. Which means I cant safely explore them at the time. Do keep in mind I am running on a low power system

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.66Ghz
    Memory: 2 GB DDR1
    Video: Nvidia Geforce 6300

7. SunnyBrightside

Hm, interesting, I FINALLY got an error for that wacky Graphics Wig-out bug. So, here's what popped up. I don't know what any of it means, but I know leaving it here for someone else to figure out is better then just sitting on it.

[​IMG]

If this is a result of a high load of graphics, then there might want to be some video edit options in the options menu. I know my computer HATES it when there are too many flickering lights and dynamic shadows and the like, so things like villages (just found one today), bunkers and other large complexes tend to rend my computer a new one, making it really hard to play in those areas.

I haven't even gotten past the first planet yet, there's still so much to do on the first one that I really don't care to go for the distress beacon (I really should, though, cooler stuff on different planets and all)

8. Blue

Blue Former Staff

Great googly moogly... that is one epic crash image right there. O.O

9. SunnyBrightside

Haha, what's funny is that's not even the best I could have gotten :rofl:, if it crashes like this again, I'll be sure to get a better pic. :rofl:

10. Vadise

Vadise Aquatic Astronaut

Just go and sit in the middle of a village and wait for dusk or dawn, and there you have it. xD

I am sure it is either my CPU or my Video Card. At those times it simply must go like "NOPE. eff this! Have this garbage instead!" *graphical glitch and crash*

11. Mcsquirrel

Mcsquirrel Orbital Explorer

yeah i had that problem before, the thing i did to stop those crashes was to play in OPENGL which apparently does something to stop those crashes, i hope it helps :)

12. SunnyBrightside

Hmm, I'll make a note of that squirrel, but right now I'd like to play the game from a normal launch, as part of the point of all this is to bring bugs and crash reports to the attention of those that can do something about them. I'm not REALLY here to play the game because I have it. It's a beta, and this is the time when we find out what's wrong so it can be fixed! The fact that I get to play and enjoy the game as well is just an added bonus :).

Speaking of bugs! I haven't really gotten around to talking about any (other then crashes, which is it's own kind of bug), this is mainly because I haven't found much by way of actual bugs in the game. The only thing I can think of is that there are certain ground monstrosities that have projectile attacks, but if you shoot them at a range, they sometimes just sit there and bow their heads, just allowing you to shoot them continuously until they die (this is with the starter hunting bow). Though I'm not complaining about the easy earlier levels this brings, it feels like this isn't what's supposed to be happening :p.

13. Vadise

Vadise Aquatic Astronaut

Well, if that didnt happen, the monsters not responding to you if you are not in their detection distance. Then the fight with the UFO would have been terrible, terrible, terrible. I am speaking pre update here. Dont know if they fixed the UFO, but with the iron weapons, you had to be shooting at it for a good 15 minutes to bring it down. Only reason it even took me 15 minutes was because I was in a cave, at the right angle to hit it, while it couldnt hit me and it sat there. Or because it got stuck under a block, it doesnt seem to be able to break blocks when going upwards.

If you are to make monsters smarter or more perceptive, I would recommend to up the tiers one step to be on par. Steel unlocked before the UFO for one thing.

14. Blue

Blue Former Staff

Launching with OpenGl IS a normal launch. Its just a version that works with different graphics cards. Chances are they will never combine the two.

15. sil3nst

sil3nst Void-Bound Voyager

i also have this problem... what the hell?
    :down:

16. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Do I have to reinstall the game in order to get it patched propper if I used sammys dll?

17. Nachoman

Nachoman Starship Captain

[​IMG]

i have this error and game crash after i warped to planet

win xp

18. 5p1r17

5p1r17 Master Chief

Seems like developers reading only this post....
    PLEASE fix a damn bug on WIN7 x64, when game crashing right after pressing PLAY STARBOUND in steam. no launcher, no game, no errors, nothing!!!!

19. Vadise

Vadise Aquatic Astronaut

if you backed the original file up before replacing it with sammy's fix, just put it back, and update. It should work. If you didnt back it up, then yes. You need to redownload it from scratch, Sorry

___MeRliN___ likes this.
  20. Playah

Playah Phantasmal Quasar

Actually, in Steam, if you right-click the game > Properties > Local Files tab > click Verify Integrity of Game Cache, it will check all the files and redownload any missing or altered files. Sammy's DLL fix being an altered file, it should redownload and replace that one file with the official file.

___MeRliN___ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.