1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed WinXP: My adventures in beta-bug-bound

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by SunnyBrightside, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SunnyBrightside

SunnyBrightside Subatomic Cosmonaut

As an WinXP user, I too am having an issue with access violation when starting up. The work around by setting the affinity works to start the game up, but the game is still so unstable that anything I do AFTER that (fighting, placing blocks, activating stuff) also has a chance of crashing the game with the same Access Violation error. I'll get to posting screenies here if/when it happens again, I'm going to see if _Sammy_'s SDC.dll download works (Please, people with the direct links to these, my google-fu sucks to a point where I'm surprised that I can find anything), and see how stable that makes it.

BUT, EVERYONE is getting that issue, there are multiple threads of helpful people helping others who need help with the Access Violation issue. I'm actually posting this up here as a place for me to just post the bugs that I come across (mainly crash errors).

Now, I'm just a normal guy with no technical background, so don't expect a detailed report on every crash or even a report on EVERY crash. If the game keeps running the way it has been, I'd be spending more time writing quick crash reports that I don't know how they happened, then actually playing, enjoying, and finding REAL bugs in the game. Crash issues are to be expected in such an early beta, and I hope that enough of the other Beta Testers (ones that are much more computer savvy then I) will report these in much broader detail then I ever could.

Also, the specs for my computer, that I know of, are as followed:
    -Graphics Card: NVidea GeForce GTX 550 Ti (I just updated the drivers with the Nov. 11th update)
    -Processor: AMD Anthelon(tm) II X2 240 Processor
    -RAM: 4GB

Anyway, hope to get both some good bug reports and feedback with this thread! Later!

2. Blue

Blue Former Staff

A new update just hit, it is supposed to contain XP fixes. Try that and let us know if it works for you.

3. SunnyBrightside

Hmm... No sooner did I post this that an update happens. We'll see what's fixed (if what I am reading is true, they fixed some XP bugs)

4. R_C_A^

R_C_A^ Pangalactic Porcupine

I have all ready downloaded the update...still get access violations :/
    The SDL fix now no longer works.

Edit* actually reading posts by other ppl, it seems sammys SDL fix may be interfearing with the updates fix, currently im verifying the file cache to see if this fixes the issue i may have inadvertantly did to myself...will update when its done.

2ndEdit* yes, sammys SDL fix isnt getting overwrit in the new update, and now THATS whats causing the access violation. To fix, just Verify your file cache and it will download the correct one when its finished.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    Lapalco likes this.
  5. SunnyBrightside

Interesting, I'm now getting the Access Violation BEFORE the game even pops up. I don't get to the chucklefish logo or anything (just like what R_C_A said). I'll see if the affinity workaround still works. If that doesn't then I am COMPLETELY unable to play the game with this current update.

For specifics. It reads "Access Violation at 0xd68bfccf (read: 0xd68bfccf)" And then:

"Stack Trace...
    007D5250 (C:/Starbound/Source/Core/StarSignalHandler_windows.cpp:16)
    D68BFCCF
    00B6621F
    7C90E920"

Sooo yea. Will update when I try the affinity workaround

6. Blue

Blue Former Staff

Sorry to hear that. I'll let kyren know.

7. SunnyBrightside

Yup, Affinity workaround does not work. Until someone finds a way to work around this new problem for XP users, I am unable to play the game.

8. sil3nst

sil3nst Void-Bound Voyager

i dont think they tested their xp "fix" and im not convinced they really tried. im not upset, its just that the game was sold as being compatible with xp, its in the requirements, theres no reason it shouldnt work. sounds like an emergency hotfix is in order. or maybe sammy will save the day again. funny how some random guy on the forum was able to solve the problem with a simple DLL edit, but the devs cant, and apparently they even made it worse.

panderp19 and ___MeRliN___ like this.
  9. SunnyBrightside

Stabound log, update 1.5.numbers: I have replaced the New SDL.dll file with the old one that I had saved from the last update (because I had quickly downloaded Sammy's patch before the updated, I had saved the old SDL.dll file). The game... Works! Well, I haven't gotten INTO the game, I'll post more when I start playing. This is interesting, I wasn't expecting the title screen with this

10. Blue

Blue Former Staff

Ive heard others say that the member created Fix is causing the new version to not work. So removing the 'fix' file, or verifying your files may help. as SunnyBrightside has done.

11. leifanator

leifanator Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, validating files now as I'm getting the same error as well. I'll post back if there's any difference.

{UPDATE}

Validating seems to have fixed it, no errors now. Although I've only just got to the main screen and haven't done much else yet :)

12. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

We did test it on several machines, also i am getting a number of reports of the fix working.
    Be aware that the sammy's fix dll will interfere with the patch and you need to Verify the install to fix this.

13. Blue

Blue Former Staff

Thanks for stopping by and verifying this need to..uhm, verify, Bartwe. :p

14. SunnyBrightside

Haha, yea, the game's running fine now. Save for this odd crash:

I was digging, mining and generally being underground. Then, as I placed some dirt and decided to head up, the game lag spiked, the started doing this odd graphical bug where the entire screen just wigs out, and then it came back, only at a much lower resolution then what I was playing at. When I went to jump up, the game glitched out again and finally crashed. I wish I coulda got some screenies, it's happened before. I'll try to hit the screenshot button next time if it happens again.

15. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

That sounds like an intresting crash...

16. Loxbourne

Loxbourne Aquatic Astronaut

I had a single instance of that bug, but it has not recurred. My computer was under heavy load at the time and I thought it was related to that.

17. seevenup

seevenup Contact!

i dont know we got 2013 and u are still running XP? they should say that this game just runs on new OS's and not the one befor the world war!

18. Blue

Blue Former Staff

That would be like me saying people shouldn't use macs cause I personally believe they are useless. Please understand, there are reasons people use the OS they use. You don't know the whole story.

19. Zoro the Gallade

Zoro the Gallade Big Damn Hero

To everyone who still has access violation (or has it happen sooner) after the last update...did you use Sammy's fixed DLL? If so, try replacing it with the DLL you had backed up (or reinstalling the game), chances are Sammy's fix aren't compatible with this version.

EDIT:Oh, Bartwe anticipated me, figures. I should refresh pages before I reply next time.

20. SunnyBrightside

Ah, happened again, this time as I died, and warped back down to the planet. I'm thinking Loxbourne has the right idea, this was after a quick series of deaths and I was just kinda warping down to the planet over and over, not giving time to really pause and think. I got a screen that crashed, then started the strange graphics wigging out, and then the low resolution, then a crash and more graphics craping out and then crash. I got ONE screen (note that this is one of, probably, 10 graphical crashes that happen, all within a 10 second time frame.)

[​IMG]

Sorry if that's too big, but again, that's only one screen of what I get, and so far after the update, it's the only crash that I get in general.

EDIT: Also, on a gameplay standpoint. I'm finding that some of the uncommon and even legendary items to be a bit... Underwhelming. Yea, I'm finding them on the first planet, which is leveled appropriately, but I feel like a legendary weapon shouldn't do less damage then a little dagger that I made from a few bits of iron and some pixels. Just a view I have, but one none-the-less.

KevinFragger2427 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.