1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Wineskin wrapper for Mac

Discussion in 'Support' started by DandoCalrissian, Mar 8, 2016.

1. LeonBlade

LeonBlade Phantasmal Quasar

No, not at all, read what I wrote again. I said you download the Steam file linked in the thread.

• Ainey33

Ainey33 Orbital Explorer

IT WORKED PERFECTLY! Thank you so much for this :)

• KayokoSalsa

KayokoSalsa Guest

Thanks for this and I show this to people with Mac's looking to play the game.

• LeonBlade

Glad it works for you! Just know that if you try to start the game with the controller off it won't start, so if you don't want the controller on you need to do something like renaming the xinput DLL to something else.

Ainey33 likes this.
          • Renage

Renage Poptop Tamer

Firstly I have to take my hat off and thank Dando for this incredible tutorial on getting SDV to work on a mac. I've been able to play a day or two with no issues but have found my keyboard really ineffective to play. Any type of 'interaction' I need to make with an item or person just isn't being recognised so I figured I'd try and get an X-Box controller to work. I have followed the instructions (and even had to re-install the wrapper and install the dlls in a specific order to get theX360ce file to load with errors. At first I was getting a box telling me to look for the settings for the controller, just I managed to get this to disappear and gain access to set the buttons, yet the square next to Controller 1 was red until I fiddled with the advanced tab and set the Device Type to 'GamePad'. After that the square changed to green and I could actually see the buttons being pushed back under the General tab. I put the generated (and updated) files in the correct area of the wrapper but when I went to load the game it's still only recognising my trackpad and keyboard. Nothing coming from the controller is registering with the game.

Does it make a difference that the only controller I currently have access to is an X-Box One controller?

• annia316

annia316 Void-Bound Voyager

Any solution yet for the "no saved games found" problem? I easily restarted 20 times and more and my savegame doesn't show up anymore. But it is still there in the correct folder. Please anyone help if you found a solution.

• RoxDanrs

RoxDanrs Space Hobo

It worked perfectly! Thanks!
                At first when i installed my headphones simply stopped working, but after a restart it was ok, for now it's all good.
                Also, i use a Macbook Pro 15" Early 2011

• LeonBlade

It should work just fine, make sure you have the xinput DLL and the ini folder both in the folder for Stardew Valley.

Try creating a new save file temporarily and get to the point where you can have the game save (just immediately sleep into the next day). If your new save file shows up it might be that something happened with your original save file.

• bunnyxd2

bunnyxd2 Space Hobo

I can't go to the direct link because my computer says "You cannot open the application because Microsoft Windows Applications are not supported on OS X."

• LeonBlade

You're not doing it right, you select the installer with Wineskin, it's very simple and straight forward. The "Choose Setup Executable" will bring up a file prompt and you select the EXE file you download...

• annia316

Thanks for your reply .. unfortunately I get an error when I try to start a new game :( Error log attached (Both from wineskin and from Stardew Valley.)

Attached Files:

• LeonBlade

Try removing your save from the saves folder (moving it is fine you don't need to delete it) and try again. The error here has to do with XML serialization. If this doesn't work, try starting from scratch with a clean wrapper and installing msxml3 with winetricks like it says along with everything else. Feel free to include just log again if you get one.

• RoxDanrs

RoxDanrs Space Hobo

It's working nicely, but i noticed my MBP became a little slower (my average % memory use is much higher) after i installed all the wrapper things, even when it's closed.
                            There's a way to prevent it or anyone noticed too?

• Sweetpeach

Sweetpeach Space Hobo

Hello and thank you so much for posting this tutorial! My game worked great the first time I installed it and played it (on mac w the steam steps). but when I quit the game program and try to reopen it, a box pops up and says its not supported by my computer. Do you know how I could fix this problem?

• annia316

Thank you very much! The reinstallation worked for me :) I don't dare closing the game now anymore :(

LeonBlade likes this.
                                • bunnyxd2

bunnyxd2 Space Hobo

Well maybe I'm just stupid then. Because I have no clue what I'm doing wrong and/or how to fix. To be fair I'm not at all tech savvy but I have no clue how everyone else has ease making this work and I literally can't. Thanks for the help though.

• Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

I'd like to install some "mods", basically just a new farmer_girl file so I can have a skirt. Where can I find the steam files when its been installed like this?

• LeonBlade

Running a game will of course make your computer work more, this is normal. As for your system being slow even when things aren't running, that simply should not be the case. I would try running the Wineskin application from within the wrapper and click on Advanced, from there go to Tools and click on the "Kill Wineskin Processes", this will prompt you to kill the different applications that should launch when starting the game. If you have a zombie process or some hidden process eating your resources, this should take care of it.

If your system is still slow, I'd advise to just try and reboot your MBP. If it's STILL slow, then it's not related to Wineskin or the wrapper at all, and it's a coincidence. Monitor your CPU/Memory usage from Activity Monitor to see if you can identify what is using up resources on your machine.

I told you every detail on how to make it work, I don't know what else I can do to explain it to you. You don't need to be tech savvy to follow instructions. Assuming you've used a computer in your life, you should know how to open a file with a program, that's what "Choose Setup Executable" does, you are opening a file with Wineskin to run. It's very simple, hopefully you can get it working.

You are very welcome, I'm glad that you got it working in the end. I'm sure it will work just fine now, you shouldn't need to worry.

It should be in "Stardew Valley.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/StardewValley"

• Renage

Renage Poptop Tamer

Both are in there and I've tried a variation of different settings to get it to work, to no avail. I've resided to using my keyboard and trackpad but it's slightly infuriating with the way the tools work. I've got my fingers crossed for a mac version in the not so distant future.

• LeonBlade

Unfortunately, they decided to develop with XNA (for what reason I don't know XNA is effectively a dead project at this point), so don't plan on it anytime soon.

For your problem, it seems quite odd. I have a DS4 and got it to work just fine, but the game actually wants a 360 controller, which is why we use x.360ce to begin with. Check x.360ce again to see if the controller is showing up with a green light, perhaps try to download the files again. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to do. One solution is to start the wrapper from scratch, good luck.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016