1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Wineskin wrapper for Mac

Discussion in 'Support' started by DandoCalrissian, Mar 8, 2016.

1. mindilea327

mindilea327 Intergalactic Tourist

Help please - I am a super-computer-dummy and I just really want to play this game. I am a Mac user and have Yosemite 10.10.5. I have installed the Wineskin and unzipped it and try to use "Choose Setup Executable," and then it needs me to choose a program to install it, and I don't have/can't find one. Where do I go from here? Please & many thanks!

• DandoCalrissian

DandoCalrissian Astral Cartographer

Hey everyone!

Sorry I haven't been helping much; life has been crazy and I haven't had time to monitor this thread, let alone even play Stardew :(. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has been stepping up to help those who are having issues. You're all incredibly awesome! <3

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
        NerdyKirdy, BL4ck and annia316 like this.
      • nolegirl

nolegirl Void-Bound Voyager

Hello all. I am new here and I am hoping someone can help me. I followed all the steps in installing the wrapper. Everything goes good until I go to run the game. I get this error that says "The program Stardew Valley.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close". It then shuts down. I deleted and reinstalled the wrapper 3 times each with the same results.
        Now, I must say that after all this I realized that it COULD be because I also currently have Parallels and Win10 already installed along with Stardew Valley on the virtual Machine but I did not want to delete those before confirming whether or not the wrapper would work. While Parallels does work, it's not flawless and makes my Mac run hot. Any ideas on why I keep getting the error? Also, I am running a 2014 Macbook Air 128GB SSD with 4gb Ram. TIA!

• droplet_the_cat

droplet_the_cat Space Hobo

Hi. I've successfully set up the game and started to play. Since I am actually doing this for my girlfriend who had been using my PC, obviously I was interested in migrating her save. Using the tips in this thread, "new" save games (ie those created on the mac via the wineskin version) seem to work fine, but those transferred over from the PC (either by steam cloud or USB drive) do not. You can select the save in the loading menu but it crashes the game.

The problem seems to be that the mac converts imported windows files as Unix Executable Files. Usually when I have this problem with common filetypes such as .jpg you can just change the extension manually and it works fine, but I have no idea how to do it for stardew valley saves since I cannot seem to find any info about how to define the filetype.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
          • Kaphotics

Kaphotics Lucky Number 13

Im not sure if the Windows Saves have any extensions, but you'll have to strip them off. Then to make the file a EXEC.

Open Terminal and type:
            Code:
             chmod +x [DRAGFILEHERE]
            Just drag the file into the terminal window, and hit enter.

Also make sure the folder name and save file are named exactly alike.
            If the folder is:
            User05308435
            The two files in it should be:
            User05308435
            SaveGameInfo

annia316 likes this.
            • Kazta

Kazta Space Hobo

Hey Dando, I followed this amazing tutorial angd got it working perfectly. I have been playing way too much (as per instructed) up until this morning. When I double clicked the icon, it just ran nothing. I restarted my computer, and now it won't even open the steam, literally, just nothing happens. Help?
              this is what I get from the test logs:

--------------------------------------------------------

err:process:init_windows_dirs directory L"C:\\windows" could not be created, error 2
              err:process:init_windows_dirs directory L"C:\\windows\\system32" could not be created, error 3
              err:process:init_windows_dirs directory L"C:\\windows" could not be created, error 2
              err:process:init_windows_dirs directory L"C:\\windows\\system32" could not be created, error 3
              err:wineboot:main Cannot set the dir to L"C:\\windows" (2)
              err:wineboot:processRunKeys Error running cmd L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe -a -r" (2)
              fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32" failed to start: 2
              fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"MountMgr" failed to start: 2
              fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"PlugPlay" failed to start: 2
              fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
              fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x32e4e0 0x0): stub
              err:shell:SHGetFolderPathAndSubDirW Failed to create directory L"C:\\users\\Kazta\\Local Settings\\Temporary Internet Files".
              err:wininet:cache_containers_init Couldn't get path for default container 0
              err:shell:SHGetFolderPathAndSubDirW Failed to create directory L"C:\\users\\Kazta\\Local Settings\\History".
              err:wininet:cache_containers_init Couldn't get path for default container 1
              err:shell:SHGetFolderPathAndSubDirW Failed to create directory L"C:\\users\\Kazta\\Cookies".
              err:wininet:cache_containers_init Couldn't get path for default container 2
              err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
              err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow The explorer process failed to start.
              fixme:advapi:EventRegister {47a9201e-73b0-42ce-9821-7e134361bc6f}, 0x3f0069d0, 0x3f040cf8, 0x3f040cf0
              fixme:advapi:EventRegister {58a9201e-73b0-42ce-9821-7e134361bc70}, 0x3f0069d0, 0x3f040d30, 0x3f040d28
              fixme:advapi:EventRegister {3fa9201e-73b0-43fe-9821-7e145359bc6f}, 0x3f0069d0, 0x3f040cc0, 0x3f040cb8
              fixme:advapi:EventRegister {1432afee-73b0-42ce-9821-7e134361b433}, 0x3f0069d0, 0x3f040d68, 0x3f040d60
              fixme:advapi:EventRegister {4372afee-73b0-42ce-9821-7e134361b519}, 0x3f0069d0, 0x3f040da0, 0x3f040d98
              err:shell:SHGetFolderPathAndSubDirW Failed to create directory L"C:\\users\\Kazta\\Local Settings\\Temporary Internet Files".
              err:wininet:cache_containers_init Couldn't get path for default container 0
              err:shell:SHGetFolderPathAndSubDirW Failed to create directory L"C:\\users\\Kazta\\Local Settings\\History".
              err:wininet:cache_containers_init Couldn't get path for default container 1
              err:shell:SHGetFolderPathAndSubDirW Failed to create directory L"C:\\users\\Kazta\\Cookies".
              err:wininet:cache_containers_init Couldn't get path for default container 2
              [2016-03-31 12:58:14] Startup - updater built Mar 28 2016 13:08:32
              main.cpp (514) : Assertion Failed: failed to initialize update status ui, or create initial window
              Assert( Assertion Failed: failed to initialize update status ui, or create initial window ):main.cpp:514

fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x33f064 0x0): stub
              err:wininet:cache_containers_find no container found
              fixme:advapi:EventUnregister deadbeef: stub

-----------------------------------------

Engine Used: DandoDew-v1.3
              Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
              Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
              Processor Name: Intel Core i7
              Processor Speed: 3.49 GHz
              Number of Processors: 1
              Total Number of Cores: 4
              L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
              L3 Cache: 8 MB
              Memory: 32 GB
              Boot ROM Version: MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com
              SMC Version (system): 1.30f3

Graphics/Displays:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
              Type: GPU
              Bus: PCIe
              PCIe Lane Width: x4
              VRAM (Total): 2048 MB
              Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
              Device ID: 0x1189
              Revision ID: 0x00a2
              ROM Revision: preset 1.0.0
              Displays:
              Cintiq 13HD:
              Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz (1080p)
              Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
              Display Serial Number: 4JAH000325
              Mirror: Off
              Online: Yes
              Rotation: 180
              Television: Yes
              DELL U2410:
              Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 59 Hz
              Display Serial Number: C592M25AG6AL
              Main Display: Yes
              Rotation: Supported
              Connection Type: DisplayPort

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
              Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
              Processor Speed: 3.49 GHz
              Total Number of Cores: 4
              L3 Cache: 8 MB
              Memory: 32 GB
              Boot ROM Version: MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com
              SMC Version (system): 1.30f3

Graphics/Displays:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
              Bus: PCIe
              PCIe Lane Width: x4
              VRAM (Total): 2048 MB
              Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
              Device ID: 0x1189
              Revision ID: 0x00a2
              ROM Revision: preset 1.0.0
              Displays:
              Cintiq 13HD:
              Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz (1080p)
              Display Serial Number: 4JAH000325
              Rotation: 180
              DELL U2410:
              Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 59 Hz
              Display Serial Number: C592M25AG6AL
              Connection Type: DisplayPort

--------------------------------------

Thanks for the amazing guide, any help would be apreciated

• jmo13

jmo13 Space Hobo

I just created an account here just so I could leave a THANK YOU for creating this wrapper. My main rig is a PC, but I love playing "couch games" on my Macbook, and I don't always want to be stuck in the basement with the PC (although that's not always bad, and hey, there's a couch down in the basement too:) ). Again, thank you so much! Awesome job!

• Moopey

Moopey Space Hobo

Hi Dando. I successfully downloaded all the winetricks and am stuck on the part where i have to download to the SteamSetup.exe file. I always recieve a message that states:
                  No new executables found!

Maybe the installer failed...?

If you tried to install somewhere other than C: drive (drive_c in the wrapper) then you will get this message too. All software must be installed in C: drive.
                  Did a download the winetricks incorrectly? or is my computer just not compatible??

• dunadan67

dunadan67 Space Hobo

Hey all, I had the same "no save game found" problems and I used a shotgun approach with chmod that seemed to resolve it (thanks to Kaphotics for the right idea)

In /Stardew Valley.app/drive_c/users/Wineskin/Application Data/StardewValley/Saves, I ran 'chmod 777' on pretty much everything, and my games were found again. It's possible that permissions setting is overkill, but it worked.

I updated the permissions on not only the save game files (YourName_somenumber and SaveGameInfo) but also the directories containing them.

BL4ck and annia316 like this.
                    • annia316

annia316 Void-Bound Voyager

This helped :) Thank you!

• pingleslayer

pingleslayer Space Hobo

heya, I too made an account just to say thank you so much~ I get to play this with my sister now and it's thanks to your guys' hard work <3 stay awesome!

• reverierav

reverierav Intergalactic Tourist

Don't worry about anything:) But I think it didn't download the mxsml thingie (srry, not a big computer person) and after trying to run the game(from the steam place), it run perfectly! But, there was a little pop-up in the screen saying ''wineskin is currently busy'' that won't go away and I dunno if it is important or what to do about it:cry:
                          Since I didn't do the last few steps I fear that if I play it through the steam place it may cause problems or something.
                          Were those steps really important or should I just play from the steam place??
                          Sorry if I'm a bother but I'm kinda desperate:oops:
                          Thank you very much in advance (if I have to download it all again, just say so pls, I'll cry inside but if it works I'll happy-dance):casper::):3

• kokopod

kokopod Intergalactic Tourist

Hi everyone! I was wondering if someone could help me out please.

I followed steps 1-9 successfully but then when I click "play" on the wine steam app, it doesn't work. A window will open for a few seconds saying "performing first time set up", and then in the sidebar under Stardew Valley it will say "running" for half a second, but then nothing happens. Occasionally I get this message: "Steam was unable to sync your files for Stardew Valley with the Steam cloud. If you have launched this application from another computer, your application settings and/or progress may not be in sync with what is stored in the Cloud. If you launch the application now, you may lose these changes or progress."

I did exactly as described in the other steps, except that when I came to buy the game I had to do it from steam's website through a web browser because the internet would not work through the wine steam app. Is this where I went wrong?

Thanks in advance!

• MistieKitteh

MistieKitteh Void-Bound Voyager

Anyone know how I would go about using a PS3 controller with Stardew Valley? I would prefer not having to map the buttons to keyboard keys but if that's all I can do I guess whats the best way to do that?

• Camzabob

Camzabob Space Hobo

Hey, I'm eager to play, but when I double click the wrapper, it looks like it would open, but nothing happens.
                                This is what my LastRunWine.log looks like

fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x29f3980) stub
                                fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x2767028) stub
                                fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x10069264) stub
                                Stacktrace:

at <unknown> <0xffffffff>
                                at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.FrameworkDispatcher.Update () <0x002d3>
                                at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game..ctor () <0x0028f>
                                at StardewValley.Game1..ctor () <0x0009b>
                                at StardewValley.Program.Main (string[]) <0x00083>
                                at (wrapper runtime-invoke) <Module>.runtime_invoke_void_object (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) <0xffffffff>

=================================================================
                                Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
                                a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
                                used by your application.
                                =================================================================

err:mscoree:expect_no_runtimes Process exited with a Mono runtime loaded.

My LastRunX11.log looks like,

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
                                Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1
                                Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
                                Total Number of Cores: 2
                                L3 Cache: 4 MB
                                Memory: 4 GB
                                Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
                                SMC Version (system): 1.68f99
                                Sudden Motion Sensor:
                                State: Enabled

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000
                                Bus: Built-In
                                VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 384 MB
                                Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
                                Device ID: 0x0126
                                Revision ID: 0x0009
                                Displays:
                                Color LCD:
                                Display Type: LCD
                                Resolution: 1280 x 800
                                Built-In: Yes
                                HP 20wd:
                                Resolution: 1600 x 900 @ 60 Hz
                                Display Serial Number: 3CQ5061G47

I'm not that tech savvy, so I'm not sure what the problem is,
                                Thanks.

• beatnikbedlam

beatnikbedlam Space Hobo

hi there! first off thank you SO MUCH for making this game available to play on mac, i've already sunk quite a few hours in and plan to sink many more.

however, when i was trying to set up the controller support, i made it to the point where i was about to bind the controllers and it gave me the error attached below. (it had just createdX360ce.ini and xinput1_3.dll) did i do something wrong?

Attached Files:

• sortofevilqueen

sortofevilqueen Space Hobo

Hey I'm also getting this issue too. The wrapper part worked just fine but when I go to Choose Executable and select the steamsetup.exe to get it running, I get this error too. I'm running on OSX 10.7.5 but looking through this forum it seems people with older OSX have been successful. Any help resolving this would be super appreciated since I already purchased the game!

• Meggledon

Meggledon Space Hobo

I'm getting this error now. Did you figure out how to fix it?

• Parvizal

Parvizal Space Hobo

Thanks For the fix heres an Internet based Crisp high ten :D x

• Vejur

Vejur Intergalactic Tourist

Does anyone know how to take a screenshot of your entire farm while playing through Wine? It looks like most people use GeDoSaTo, but I can't figure out how to get it to work.

Also, thanks a ton for getting the game to run on Macintosh! I'm having a blast!