Modding Help (Windows 8.1) Unable to unpack packed.pak - This app can't run on your PC

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by AcePleiades, Dec 21, 2016.

1. AcePleiades

AcePleiades Intergalactic Tourist

Hello, I am running Starbound on Windows 8.1 64 bits. I've seen countless tutorials on how to unpack the packed.pak file. However, if I try to do it through cmd, when I run the asset_unpacker.exe it says "Access Denied" and a Windows message pops up saying "This app can't run on your PC" and something or other. If I try to use other programs (modding tools), they either crash or don't work.

I've found some people in this forum with a similar issue, but their fixes didn't work for me (such as removing spaces in the directory names) or they didn't get help at all. Did I not search enough?

I'm inexperienced with modding, and maybe I don't need to unpack the packed.pak file... Just so you know, all I want to do is change the damage voice sound effect for the female human.

What do I do?

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

If it says access denied you likely don't have administrator access on your PC.

3. AcePleiades

Same issue. Ran cmd.exe as administrator while logged in the Administrator account. Please don't tell me I need to have further administrative rights than THAT.
    Any other suggestions?

4. The | Suit

Download attachment
    Unzip
    Edit the file in notepad ( don't double click file directly until you make changes in notepad first )
    Save
    Then double click file

Do not add any extra spaces or "enters" between each line. The format should be the exact same.

Attached Files:

5. AcePleiades

Did not work. It's the same thing as using cmd.exe. I edited correctly to my directories:

@Echo OFF
    ECHO Please wait while your files finish unpacking. You will be notified when to close the window
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\asset_unpacker.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\unpacked"
    PAUSE

One thing that I noticed... Is the asset_unpacker.exe file size supposed to be 0KB?

6. The | Suit

No - verify asset cache on steam.

Errors4l and AcePleiades like this.
  7. AcePleiades

Yes, that was the issue! It's not the first time Steam does this when updating games, I should have noticed this way before. Thank you for your time.
    This thread really asks for my profile picture