1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

will there be a game wiki?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Sir ceil, Apr 15, 2012.

?

Do you think there should be a game wiki

1. Yes!

78.9%
  2. Maybe.

15.8%
  3. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir ceil

Sir ceil Existential Complex

well the title is a bit self explanatory. but it would be like the Minecraft or Terraira wiki showing npcs ect. ect.

2. nic329

nic329 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Most games have a wiki, unofficial sometimes. it would greatly surprise me if there wasn't a wiki for this game but we shall wait and see.

3. PicklishDoorknob

PicklishDoorknob Yeah, You!

If there isn't one, surely there will be an unofficial wiki (wikia.com?).

4. nic329

5. PicklishDoorknob

PicklishDoorknob Yeah, You!

6. nic329

yea. but it will be interesting to see which one does best.

announcer voice:
    "this time on wiki wars...."

7. Con7Rad7

Con7Rad7 Giant Laser Beams

Looks like the first wiki has more info on it than the others, so I say that one won already...

8. photostyle

photostyle The Old One

Given the nature of internet and fans, there will likely be several wikis.

(via Forum Runner on Photon)

9. Doctor Ragnarok

Doctor Ragnarok Former Staff

I know its already been said that there isn't likely to be an official wiki due to the nature of the procedurally generated world and items within it, but It will be curious to see which wiki does best when it all comes into view. If Borderlands has shown us anything, it's that it can be done with enough community effort.

10. Valkoor Moonblood

Valkoor Moonblood Existential Complex

I asked the same question a week ago. The devs will most likely make an official wiki once the game is out. Any wikis that are out at the moment are based a lot on speculation. I'd just wait for the dev one.

11. SpaceCap'n

SpaceCap'n Zero Gravity Genie

I can't remember where i saw this IRC at, but Tiy stated that any game that requires a Wiki, is badly designed. I take that as the devs will not be making their own wiki, leaving it to the fans. Which surely will happen no matter what.

12. StarMetal25

StarMetal25 Phantasmal Quasar

Is that a trick question?

13. Sir ceil

um no i am serious an thank for the links nic239

14. Sir ceil

15. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

A game like this would definatly need a wiki!

16. Sir ceil

any body know where thats from?;)

17. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

I dont but its funny:D

18. -Red-

-Red- Big Damn Hero

Actually, that kind of makes it more interesting, no? Say there's a page on... penguins. When a player encounters a new variation that has not been cataloged into the wiki then they can add a subpage to it, maybe even put in their own name as the discoverer of that variation. Kind of adds to the immersion, going out into space, finding and cataloging all the different kinds of species. As for the whether we'll get an official wiki or not... eh, a wiki is a wiki. So long as we get our information, it's all good. We'll just need to pick ONE to use otherwise the information will end up divided :p

Sir ceil likes this.
  19. Doctor Ragnarok

Doctor Ragnarok Former Staff

Which is why I mentioned the Borderlands wiki and don't believe starbound would have an official one. It would be dependent on players submitting the variations they come across, which would in fact be neat to have but too much work for any one person alone. Official or not, there is lots to come.

20. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

There's no official wiki, but there are quite a few unofficial wikis. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.