1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Will the game be protected?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by KiWiKaKi, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zailiner

Zailiner Over 9000!!!

The banhammer can not solve everything, how can you tell that someone has hacked in items? Or their world was created by a map editor?

2. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

Well for one they might insta kill everything including other players in a PvP free zone. or have items with incredibly impossible stats like +9999999999999999999999999999999*error* to defense...just sayin...its possible ive seen it before 0.0

3. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

I
    I also sorta "cheated". I download the All Items map. Became pretty OP. I did this cuz I found out they wrnt updating the game anymore. So sad :(

4. KiWiKaKi

KiWiKaKi Orbital Explorer

Im not talking about griefing , im talking about a way to limit items duplication for online play. Yes of course even if they put a small protection some people will find a way to dupe some items anyway , but at least it will only be a small portion of people. Imagine if in diablo 2 everyone was able to duplicate items easily. It sux if someone find a really rare item and then you can copy it and give it or trade it to anyone.

Imo characters or maps should not be able to be copied so easily

5. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

There wouldnt be duplication unless you found a item exactly like the one you have! :3

6. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

What exactly does D2 have to do with starbound? They are 2 different games.

7. KiWiKaKi

They both use items?

They are both played multiplayer

They both use randomly generated stats

I hope starbound can have a good enough anti item duping system that it has an ingame multiplayer economy like diablo 2 had.

8. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

So a Bizillion items like Borderlands? Sweeeeeet!

9. Pentarctagon

Not trying to be insulting here, but...

Really?
    [​IMG]

So what? Many games have multiplayer.

Again, so what? Many games have random stats.

I'm sure it can. But I would rather that time be spent on developing the actual game rather than preventing people from doing something they'll end up doing anyway, especially since I think we can all agree that D2 had a lot more resources to throw at that issue than the starbound dev team does. Plus, why does it even matter? AFAIK starbound isn't exactly competitive, unless you want to do die-hard pvping or something.

10. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

You are coming off as a bit rude, sorry to say.

11. KiWiKaKi

Its not complicated to not allow access to the character or maps files for god sake

12. Pentarctagon

So how would you propose doing that, short of storing everyone's player and map data on a separate server somewhere?

13. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

Ive lost what you two are arguing about! Someone fill me in?

14. LastDay

LastDay Heliosphere

KiWiKaKi, huh?
    Or one of his fans using his name?

...anyway.
    Terraria's character files are client-based.
    All the items in your inventory exist on your computer, not just on the server.
    Any files on your very own computer are easy to edit, the reason you can't invedit on MMOs (for example) is that your character is on the server, not on your computer.
    Unless Starbound allows you to create characters that only exist on a single server there's just no way to fight it.

Also unless Starbound uses CD keys and/or some sort of Steam authorization the only way to ban somebody is by their IP address, and that's pretty is easy to bypass.
    Not to mention how lack of it also means that anybody can pirate the game and go hack on a server, get banned, change IP address and repeat.

Funny that Diablo 2 was mentioned, it actually has a ton of duped items!
    A ton of SoJ's were duped ages ago and that's why they became a currency. :)

But yeah Diablo 2 on Battle.net saves your characters on Blizzard's servers, so it's relatively secure.

15. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

Thank you LastDay for clearing that up! Now Kiwi, Pentarc, STOP ARGUING!!!!

16. Pentarctagon

Aww, but it was so fun...

17. Spike

Spike Supernova

The best way of cheat prevention is not doing it yourself. That only works for single players though; multiplayer requires all the people on the server to abide by that rule; it pays to have a small comunity in stead of a big one.

MurkyDragon likes this.
  18. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

I understand how fun it is, but its uncalled for k? LastDay cleared it up aight?

19. KiWiKaKi

im not a fan im myself

20. Pentarctagon

How exactly is it uncalled for? There's nothing wrong with arguing unless it becomes a flamewar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.