1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Will the game be protected?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by KiWiKaKi, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KiWiKaKi

KiWiKaKi Orbital Explorer

I was wondering if there is gonna be some sort of security built in the game to prevent cheating. For example in terraria you could copy your characters or map therefore doubling your items. It would be so much better if all the items and gold you find are actually legit , so people could trade with each other.

2. JohnnyValentino

JohnnyValentino Pangalactic Porcupine

A BanHammer should suffice.

3. 777eza

777eza Existential Complex

There's always going to be someone who finds a way to cheat by taking advantage of a glitch or makes a program but it would be nice to have legit online play.

4. Serp

Serp Zeromus

I'd like something were I can get everything I need,not for cheating,just testing,building ect

5. Valkoor Moonblood

Valkoor Moonblood Existential Complex

It'd be nice to have some anti-cheat protection, but people will always find a way around it. Besides, it's their decision if they want to ruin the game experience for themselves.

6. karlomka

karlomka Void-Bound Voyager

Isn't there a way to seperate online and offline characters? So With your online char you can only play mutliplayer and singleplayer char yeah....singleplayer :D

7. KiWiKaKi

KiWiKaKi Orbital Explorer

it sux if you can duplicate items and give them to anyone

8. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

IMO the constant effort needed to keep up to date with the newest methods of cheating are not worth the reward in this case. Apart from the need for "legitness", what real benefit is there?

9. The Societal Plague

The Societal Plague Subatomic Cosmonaut

I dont think completely removing the ability to cheat would be fair to all.
    Many like to build custom maps and structures that would otherwise be rather difficult in normal gameplay.
    and it was through cheating that most of the custom terraria maps were made.

Though cheating would kinda be annoying on a basic multiplayer server :/
    Im torn.

10. Urist McDwarf

Urist McDwarf Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe making a complete sandbox mode will solve some probles, characters from sandbox mode shouldn't be able to be ported to normal mode ( the other way around, maybe, but it shouldn't save any changes ) or to other sandbox worlds, unless the specific sanbox world allows that, it should be also posible to mark some specific sandbox worlds to make it so you can port characters from them ex:
    What you should be able to do: Generic Super Adventure 1 --> Generic Super Adventure 2.
    But not: Chaet Haxur Wurld --> Generic Super Adventure 1.
    Also not: Epic adventure 1 --> Generic Super Adventure 1

11. GoldenPhoenix97

GoldenPhoenix97 Phantasmal Quasar

Its really up to the player to not cheat and play legit. There will always be a way for people to cheat and hack.

12. Bine

Bine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you are worried about cheaters stick to your close friends. Then you can invite people you know and trust from the community to join you on your expeditions. Its a better way to make friends than pop on random servers imo.

Its just too unsafe to leave your world open to random strangers. Im pretty sure we all at some point have been a victim of some random stranger popping in and tearing everything down while your out makin a sandwitch or sumin. (My poor poor terraria worlds. Many never stood a chance against those 99 stack TNT's....)

13. LadyAijou

LadyAijou Phantasmal Quasar

I pretty much agree with what others have said, be selective about who comes onto your server. If you don't let random people on, your chances of being griefed are far far lower. I definitely plan to stick to playing with my clan, for that very reason.

14. Earic Lodger

Earic Lodger Starship Captain

Definetly.
    "Whenever someone builds a better mousetrap, someone finds a way to outsmart it".
    Hell, Deus Ex: HR had a really complex process that let you cheat using ordinary PC programs and such.

15. Ryou Takeshi

Ryou Takeshi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This guy here knows what he's talking about. No matter the protection, it will not guarantee a cheat-free environment for everyone. If it's hosted like Terraria, where you most likely play with your friends more than anything else, I don't think cheating will be much of an issue, though, unless your friends like ruining your day.

16. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

Well, on your home planet, you can have it set so nothing can be griefed.

17. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Perhaps the best protection would be for all guests on a server to spawn on the space station. That way the only way they could grief your planet is if you either told them where it was or they got extremely lucky and found it at random.

18. Zailiner

Zailiner Over 9000!!!

This is forever be impossible, no matter what security is put up, gamers will ALWAYS be able to find a way to edit in items and use map edits etc.
    Even if the code is encrypted.

19. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

I guess we should have the power to rid the amazing game of hackers. So Banhamma i guess

20. ThatAmazingPerson

ThatAmazingPerson Existential Complex

Lets just use an example of Terraria...

I use to "cheat" in boss items, end game stuff, and all that jazz because boss fighting made it fun for me. I also played legitly - but when I had good stuff, I cheated in boss summoning items and battled the bosses.

So, I don't think cheating should be blocked, because some people might not like to grind stuff to be able to build maps, fight boss, etc.

MurkyDragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.