Will mods ruin the game for me?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Flaak, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Flaak

Flaak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello, thanks for taking time to help me out!
    I'm not worried about downloading an overpowered mod as I am very picky and want only mods that add more stuff. The thing with me is I saw more then half the mods are outdated. Does this mean as updates come out, the mods I currently have will break my game? I have spent so much time making stuff on my planet I would hate for it to be destroyed.I have backups but as time goes on I am spending more time with these mods and will lose everything since I downloaded my first mod if one is gamebreaking.

Also are these outdated mods unplayable or they just havnt been updated? Someone please enlighten me on how to create an awesome planet and not have it be ruined by broken mods in the future. Thanks.

2. EmissaryOfInfinity

EmissaryOfInfinity Subatomic Cosmonaut

If a mod is outdated, that means it hasn't been modified in the current version of the game. It could very well still function perfectly, it's just that no-one's tested it or updated the thread. And if a mod doesn't work, the chances are slim that it'll cause any permanent damage - Starbound has this excellent system where if something doesn't jive with the current code, it just straight won't load that thing. So if someone made a tech that doesn't work anymore, you wouldn't be able to use that tech if you equip it, but it wouldn't cause any other problems. Worst-case scenario is that it crashes your game, at which point you can reload and just avoid doing the thing that caused the crash.
    Now, with all that said, I'd still avoid using outdated mods. You never know what weird artifacts it could leave on your save, and you could run into crashes out of the blue because of it. There's a littany of up-to-date mods out there, especially on Steam, so it shouldn't be tough to find one you like.

3. FlyingFloran

FlyingFloran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Generally speaking, if you don't download any outdated mods, you're fine.

And for those mods with bugs in them, (i.e: the kazdra guard behaviour causing a crash), then there's usually a community-made fix somewhere. If there's no fix, then don't download the mod until the bug has been recognized.

Though, at one point on my familiar character, I couldn't use a furnace because it'd boot me back to the main menu due to an error about a steel bar, assumedly. It worked with every other character I had (Avali and human), so I didn't know what was up and couldn't tell what was causing the crash. I wiped all of my mods and reinstalled most of them, aside from a couple dozen. Everything works now, aside from having to remake my familiar character. (He was on admin-mode anyways.)