1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Will be starbound MMORPG?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ohos, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohos

ohos Void-Bound Voyager

Hi, terraria was awesome, but it had few real problems:

1. searching game was too hard, because there wasn't dev's server with server list like in many shooter (cs, tf2 etc.)
    2. too many cheaters, because no server controll

Due these problems i really interested to know - will be starbound MMORPG? Probably f2p

2. RazoR2K

RazoR2K Big Damn Hero

There wasen't any server list on Terraria because for that you're going to need a master server to be online all the time, and I think that is a bit of a problem
    for an Indie dev team... For that they need to support the game a long time after release, I know that's what they aim for.

MMORPG? really? You have any idea how MMORPG works? just like i said, For that you're going to need to have tons of servers, btw
    Starbound isn't an MMORPG game, when everyone plays at their own world, it won't happen.

xXSunSlayerXx and Dementia like this.
  3. ohos

ohos Void-Bound Voyager

master server doesn't so expensive, it can be even an website, then month fee will be something like 20-30$ and 240-360$ year or even free because in any case they have playstarbound.com, terraria.org websites, so master server could be even there

yes, i know how MMORPG works, do you know how many terrarias was downloaded from torrens rather then buying it in steam? how many income dev lost on it? MMORPG prevent it, prevent cheating. Everyone plays at their own world? Same for Diablo 3, there is generated rooms* (not worlds of course, but also not always the same)

I don't know how work steam's VAC, but starbound could try same or at lease have more server side working to protect from cheating for those who will host their server.

MMORPG way also allow make game more popular, when you play on your own it's fun, but when there is global list with other worlds... rank and social systems (like in farm games in social networks)

4. Marokutai

Marokutai Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Honestly, I have no clue where you could even get the idea that Starbound would ever be an MMO.
    For one thing, its pretty much a cousin to terraria, the reason behind that being said is they are both side scrolling singleplayer/multiplayer rpgs. For an MMORPG to even work there would have to be sprawling areas of map and would exclude any changes to maps. I'm pretty sure some of the biggest planets in Starbound will take around 30-40 minutes to cross using walking as your main transportation; where if you tried to go through an MMO such as World of Warcraft for example, walking every inch of the map would take literally 6+ hours to do.
    The only thing I can see you even thinking of Starbound being an MMO is because it having multiplayer, which would mean games like call of duty and battlefield are MMO's, which they aren't.

TL:DR; This game is nowhere near an MMO.

5. ohos

ohos Void-Bound Voyager

not right, so i can say it again more clearly:

1. being mmo allow dev get more income (people couldn't download server from torrent for free), devs can sell content and features
    2. protection from cheating, terraria could be cheated even with stupid speed hack from Cheat Engine
    3. f2p mmo makes games more popular, it also allow making social systems like ranking, friend and so on

so i asked about mmo way not only as player, also as one who work in russian game industy

6. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

1. they make enough money of an indie game (terraria made 10 milion+)
    2. cheating is fun when done with the game, hackers are always there no matter how big the protection
    3. then those anoying kids get in which keep begging and mmo's always attract hackers/cheaters in a way

Dementia likes this.
  7. Eight

Eight Pangalactic Porcupine

1. The Devs are not greedy. Tiy has said that he doesn't like DLC and micro-transactions.
    2. Terraria did have some cheat protection, but it's a case of "cheaters gonna cheat". If someone is cheating, just ban them, why should they ruin everyone elses fun? If you don't want to play with cheaters, play with your friends.
    3. I'm sorry, I don't really understand what that says(very bad english). I think it's trying to say that MMO's are automacially more popular, but that is complete rubish!
    What do you mean by "f2p"?

Dementia likes this.
  8. ohos

ohos Void-Bound Voyager

i mean free to play mmo type

9. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

No.No.No.No,seriously,no.

Dementia likes this.
  10. teraByte

teraByte Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I smell a troll.

Breather, Dementia and Mianso like this.
  11. ThrehserMaw

ThrehserMaw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Everyone in this forum is crazy to throw a wallet full of money on Tiy's face and you suggest Starbound for free?:lod:
    Also , Starbound has a great personal/co-op with friends experience , most people wouldn't like to be forced to play with 30 people everytime.It would ruin the game.

12. MagikPigon

MagikPigon Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't think Starbound will be an MMO. It just wouldn't work.

13. Starbound is not going to be free, not going to be an MMO.
    Conversation over, the topic should be locked.

Dementia likes this.
  14. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Guest

I'd just like to point out that I believe that this guy is under the impression that starbound is made by the same team as terraria:
    It is NOT, starbound has a completely different team, Tiy WAS the artist on terraria, but this is his own team, my understanding is that Redigit owns terraria, tiy was an employee.

Secondly, F2P MMO's are not instantly more popular than singleplayer/lan/multiplayer games, I'd actually rather pay for games such as dead island, starbound, terraria, counter strike, halo, cod, battlefield, (need I go on?) than play a F2P MMO where only people who splash cash get better items. Micro transactions suck in my opinion, turning this game into a F2P MMO would not only kill the spirit of indie games, seeing as they'd need microtransactions to profit, but it would ruin the game for me, and I assume for many others, Starbound will be a regular NON-MMO game, in which you can play alone, or host a server and invite friends, this game was built around that multiplayer model, and they're not going to change it because some uninformed people believe F2P-MMO > Paid game with player hosted servers.

/rant

Dementia and MagikPigon like this.
  15. Nightweaver

Nightweaver Subatomic Cosmonaut

Pretty hard to use this much random stuff in MMO's.

Besides ... imagine the grieving potential. :cry:

16. Fantastic Mr. Legion

Fantastic Mr. Legion Phantasmal Quasar

On the F2P point. WoW has been one of the most popular MMORPGs ever. And it is paid for monthly. P2P games usually have more quality than F2P games (With a few exceptions). Quite a lot of P2P games go F2P after, say, a few months or even years. P2P will always be generally more popular due to how much work the company has put in to the game to satisfy the customers who pay. Also, Starbound will never be free or an MMORPG.

17. RazoR2K

RazoR2K Big Damn Hero

You have no idea how wrong you are mate...

First of all, MMORPG doesn't prevent any pirating, there are tons of private server out there and the authorization servers are also servers so you need more servers, which means -> devs get less money, and there are no montly fees, they already said that.

Secondly, MMORPG doesn't prevent cheating AT ALL, at what world do you live? you've never encountered anyone in MMORPG game using a bot to grind or stuff like that?

anyway, there is a big NO on Starbound being MMORPG because that's not the style of the game they are aiming towards...

Dementia likes this.
  18. KuroiOkami

KuroiOkami Void-Bound Voyager

I can say that Starbound will never be an MMO the whole concept of the game is different its a serious big project with a solid single player and great coop aspect but it's not MMO. If someone don't like to play with cheaters make a passworded server and play with friends. (Everyone sorry for the offtop)To Ohos:Russian gameindustry is dead because there is no real big games were made since the era of space rangers, some indie games were done but they can be counted by fingers as for mmo yeah russian digital market is full of mmo but most of them are crap nothing serious just a simple money making projects based on children of school age. I'm also working in the game industry but not digital the board one and know how the market works.

19. Ravenous Space Rat

Ravenous Space Rat Cosmic Narwhal

I think Free to play MMORPG's do worse then the ones that you have to buy.
    I don't mean monthly subscriptions though,just one time buying.

20. love doctor

love doctor Cosmic Narwhal

you do relise that starbound is made by a different company so what ever problems you had with terraria are invalid right..
    how ever i appreciate your concerns and hope you get the answer your searching for

also dont think starbound will be an mmo and definitely not F2p because if it were they wouldn't be working out the buy price to own it/use it what ever the licensing terms are

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.