1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why was so much content removed?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by harrydm98, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Just a friendly reminder to keep things civil. I'm seeing a bit of passive-aggressiveness going on.

Waffle-Chan, MrStrangerPL and xaliber like this.
  2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You are just forcing further explanation to satisfy your point. Not all answers have, nor need to have, more to it. "Because" is a perfectly valid reason.

3. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

"because" is a valid reason, but that doesnt mean its a satisfactory reason

of course a satisfying reason is likely to come from no one but the devs them selves, and even then its not guaranteed

Pingeh likes this.
  4. Ironbeak

Ironbeak Big Damn Hero

Yikes, this is getting kind of hostile. A lot of us are just being nostalgic over here, and/or engaging in some wishful thinking about what we might see again one day.

You know what else I miss? Monster noises. Monsters just "blip" at you now, but there's a great big library of hilarious monster sounds still in the assets that I wish monsters still made when they attacked you.

Also, when's the last time anyone saw a miniboss? I really miss those as well.

Sylxeria and STCW262 like this.
  5. MrStrangerPL

MrStrangerPL Pangalactic Porcupine

Using their attacks, instead headbutting you all the *snap* time would be great too. But naah. Contact damage! Dat shit's the future! (Grim and dark, but hey.)

6. Ironbeak

Ironbeak Big Damn Hero

I do get why the "blip" is standard to alert you that something's about to attack you ... but monsters are just so silent without SFX. Maybe there's a mod that could add them back in.

Darkspinesupersonic8 likes this.
  7. MistyTheNeko

MistyTheNeko Ketchup Robot

A mod may have already been made. If not, just find anybody who is willing to make a mod for them. Sorry if I wasn't much help.

8. Tyler Tenebrae

Tyler Tenebrae Pangalactic Porcupine

It's difficult to think of a reason why something has to be put in and somthing has to be cut out. Talk about conservation of detail.
    My brain is acting weird right now. I wanted to say something profound or at least make sense, but all I actually want is ladders and ladder animations that were scrapped early on.

9. MrStrangerPL

MrStrangerPL Pangalactic Porcupine

How about we ask CF to fix their own game, instead begging for modders to fix all the fuckups?

*Gets thrown out through the window.*

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    STCW262, xaliber and Pingeh like this.
  10. Darkspinesupersonic8

Darkspinesupersonic8 Pangalactic Porcupine

I was able to 'port' a mod from an earlier version of Starbound called "Screams".
    It's not much but it replaces the 'blip' when a monster sees you and the sound they make when they die. All monsters are able to emit all monster sounds. It's random, and a monster likely won't use the same "alert" and "death" sounds, but if you dislike the blip, it's something.

It's both on the mod directory here and on the steam workshop. Was just browsing this thread and saw that little bit.

I myself wonder why all these things were removed, I suppose we'll never really know unless CF decides to give an actual answer. It's interesting to discuss, though.

Ironbeak likes this.
  11. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Well, they had a limited number of not-terribly-great animal noises beforehand that people kept complaining about. A lot. A lot a lot.

Given everything on their plate for a 1.0 release, I can forgive dropping the super-repetitive noises altogether to focus elsewhere and let them posisbly backfill it later with a bigger/better sound library.

12. Ironbeak

Ironbeak Big Damn Hero

I mean. I love most of the noises because they're weird and some of them make me laugh. I guess being a game dev is an object lesson in "you can't please all the people all the time."

13. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

this was actually quoted by a developed in early-mid 2014 after the criticism they got from the beta lol. go figure.

14. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Stuff that was removed from the final game was removed because we didn't like it and that's a call we get to make because we built the game.

Guest0241525, lazarus78, bk3k and 5 others like this.
  15. phichikapparho

phichikapparho Subatomic Cosmonaut

And we (most of us) get that. But as far as purposeful interesting discussion goes...

You may have well just followed that up with a "neener neener" sticking your tongue out blowing raspberries at us.

Tlactl, xaliber and Pingeh like this.
  16. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

In addressing the thread title there really isn't any other explanation.

17. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

Of all the things mentioned, I really miss Hiraki's diaries. Maaaan, I want them back.
    Is the removed content gone for good? Or will we see it in some way in some future updates? There were some things I, and probably many others, actually liked, and getting them back one way or the other would be a pleasurable jolt of nostalgia to the heart.

18. maestro kitty

maestro kitty Aquatic Astronaut

I have a quick question! I know that a lot of the old lore was removed, but will new lore be written and added with future updates? As someone who adores world-building, I think it's important.

19. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

While I wouldn't say "no", I also expect anything old that returns to be HEAVILY altered to fit the game Starbound IS rather than the unfinished game it WAS.

I mean, like... the unique weapons found in the various racial dungeons. I liked those. They were a nifty prize, cool to suddenly find yourself with a meat saw prized from an Apex mad scientist who was trying to remove your brain just a few seconds prior.

But I completely get removing them for 1.0, because keeping them would involve... well.

Every race should have some, right? Well, back when they were a thing, the humans had four unique weapons and a shield. Should every race have four unique weapons and a shield? Should they all be analogues of those human weapons for balance? But two of the human weapons are basically the same machinegun, functionally. Should that change? Not every races's theme really supports machineguns in the first place. Should the Glitch projectile throwers be something better than a crossbow then? What can we give the Glitch to give them some advantage? Would that advantage balance out against the other races' weapons' advantages? Are the Floran shock-prods too overpowered? (Yes.) What about the Hylotl? The lore doesn't really support large castles of hostile Hylotl, and is it really as much fun to find those weapons in chests "guaranteed" rather than take them from fallen foes by chance? Speaking of lore, the changes to the lore really don't support the human bunkers of shoot-first government-sponsored space marines anymore. Now what? Are we putting those two weapons and shield elsewhere? Why did the birds attacked? It's like you're unraveling a big cable knit sweater that someone keeps knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting...

Now. All these questions can certainly have answers and solutions. But it takes time to brainstorm solutions, time to initial-test them out, time to implement them, then time to further test-and-polish. And all for weapons that are mostly just cosmetic alterations of existing weapons, when the generics function well, and they want to get 1.0 out the door, and they could also focus on more unique-function generic-found weapons not tied to any specific race.

I'd like to see racial weapons back, yes. Even the pure-cosmetic weapons you make at your crafting tables. But I fully expect they too would need changes and rebalance first. (Why would a hammer made from a tree stump need some advanced metal in its construction and not, say, wood? Should every race's crafted weapons have a secondary ingredient and how do we balance that out and here we go again.)

Tamorr likes this.
  20. Greenfinger Abibi

Greenfinger Abibi Void-Bound Voyager

I just miss the floran prod and water sword`.____.
    I've browsed through all those cool legacy mods and both the floran prod and water sword are absent, so I made my own mod for myself as the selfish bastard that I am ._______.

Edit: Also the old lore was amazing :)

Hatsya Souji likes this.