1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

why does my friend run faster than me

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Anark, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Anark

Anark Intergalactic Tourist

hi guys noob here. me and my friend just started playing. i picked novakid and he is floran. some how he run faster than me, we only have the basic armor on. i tried floran too but he is still faster, not by a lot but its there when we running side by side. maybe because he is host?

2. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I it's a ping/connection issue. there's a bunch of stuff that give you speed boost but armor and race don't, usually you have to use food or other buff items

3. NuclearSlayer52

NuclearSlayer52 Phantasmal Quasar

they mightve let a crew member join from a village that gives the speed effects...
    if you do quests for a village npc's will sometimes request to join your ship... every 2 allows you to upgrade and to hire more youll need to do that...
    if they dont have crew members then its likely ping causing unnoticed rubber banding (slightly warping to where you were previously) and to test if its ping try hosting instead and if theyre still faster its likely you have slowness or they have speed effects...

EDIT: they could also have speed tech... i suggest getting that whether they do or dont have it btw

4. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

@Anark you got mods?

5. Anark

Anark Intergalactic Tourist

no mods no tech, he just started like me. we didt even fix our ships yet. so im guess its ping like 777jack and nuclerslayer said maybe ill try host next time

6. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Yap, cos apart from dashes, there ain't no speed techs, if you don't count augments

Try deactivating V Sync, it helps sommtimes

7. stealthXG

stealthXG Pangalactic Porcupine

Sounds like it could be a fps issue. I know on my old laptop sometimes my fps would get so bad that my run speed is the same as a npc's walk speed.