1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are Florans and Novakid so popular?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by FloomRide, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph the wanderer

Joseph the wanderer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sssspeak for yoursssself, I am particularly fond of the Floran'ssss racccce-related blocksssss and furniture.[DOUBLEPOST=1442434019][/DOUBLEPOST]
    lol. Thisssss isssss like the third time i've sssseen you complain about Ssssessss in the forumssss.

2. Kaede Grimwater

Kaede Grimwater Existential Complex

im not really a big fan of the florans, but then again im diehard hylotl and they drove us hylotl off our planet. im indifferent to novakid.

i flipping love the tau! <3

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Wait wait... Anu'Va or Farsight?

4. Kaede Grimwater

not entirely sure, hard choice that.

5. lazarus78

Either way we fight for the Greater Good, but the Farsight Enclave will welcome you if you choose.

6. Kaede Grimwater

to be honest i have strayed away from warhammer 40k lately, appearantly liking the tau is some immortal sin that makes everyone AGGRESSIVELY discriminate against you. eventually i just figured its not worth the gigantic amounts of hate i get. why does everyone hate the tau so much?

7. lazarus78

Cus they are "space cows"? I duno. They get sidelined for basically everything.

8. Lintton

Lintton Guest

They probably just want them to get as stuck in the quicksand-like filth of grimdark as they are. As least that's my theory. You can point to something inherently wrong in the other factions and how they run thing, its not as obvious with the Tau.(though probably there if one looks into it.)

9. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

im more of a human and glitch person then cowboy nova and plant people

Lintton likes this.
  10. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Walking plants? Nah.

Coloured gas stuck in the wild west? Nah.

Just don't see why they're popular really. Its based on preference

MrToni300 likes this.
  11. Breakout

Breakout Big Damn Hero

I am neutral towards Floran, and really like the Nova Kids. The western vibe reminds of of Firefly, a show I really enjoyed. I also like the idea of non-organic light creatures made from star material. The short term memory issue is not a quirk that is a bit annoying, but it makes me curious as to why they have this issue unless it is there just to be goofy.

rhomboid likes this.
  12. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I think it is more of being easily distracted rather than short term memory. A bit spacey. Like the absentminded professor/scientist/researcher in a a few movies (Cats & Dogs being one of them). Having so much fun they loose track of time kind of thing. I kind of know how that bit feels, since I tend to go from one thing to the next often slipping my mind on what the first thing was, although I am not one to play the novakids as a primary, as noted in my prior post.

Breakout likes this.
  13. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Between the two, i'd say i like the floran over the novakids. But the reason im more likely to PLAY a novakid over a floran is floran PCs don't have the body type for my taste. From the art depictions of floran, it seems they vary from lithe dexterous hunters to Samurai Shodown's Tam Tam , or even Street Fighter's Blanka. And its unlikely the character creator will provide for that.

14. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

Its there Personality

15. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

I'll admit I do kind of wish there was something to make humans feel more... unique.
    Like a type of tech or weapons unique to them, like how Novakids are the only race able to craft guns from the start.

This is something that 4X strategy games series Sword of the Stars had done great. Human a bit like other games were all-rounders in terms of weapons and such... however they had one very peculiar tech which was the FTL drive they used to move between star systesm the strategic maps. The node drive.

Where most playable races travelled from one planet to another in physical space, humans would enter a subspace dimension of sort connecting stars together, reapearing at the target star seemingly out of nowhere. Which meant that -unlike any other races in the game-, human fleets could never be intercepted on the strategic map. It also meant that since the "node point" used for entering or leaving the star system was a physical spot on the tactical map it never mattered how far or close a pursuing fleet was when trying to retreat from battle. If you were at the node point, you could instantly retreat from battle in the blink of an eye right under the very nose of your enemy.

The disadvantage of course is that it limited the way you travelled through the strategic map by forcing you to use pre-existing natural pathways to sometimes non-ideal worlds(thus having to go through point C and D from their starting point A before reaching point :cool:, compared to the other races who only had to worry about packing their fleets with enough supply ships to give them the range to get from point A to point B.

Other races had their own things(such as the reptile simians-like Tarka generally sporting more gun than everyone on their cruisers), but human's node drive made them so unique that it gave them access to units nobody else had access to in the game such as interstellar ballistic node missiles or in the second game a special system defense unit in small node fighters able to literally uses micro nodelane(too small for conventional cruisers) between planets to flit around the tactical map as if seemingly teleporting for surprises attack and defenses against enemy invading fleet.

Iirc, they even at some point develop a node maw(based on captured tech from the only other nodespace-using race of the game who bore their own unstable nodespace tunnels between stars instead of using the stable natural network used by humans) which basically open a rip to nodespace which take out any enemy ships out of tactical battles(and instantly destroys any of those from races unable to use nodespace due to their lack of protective tech to protect them from the rigor of nodespace).

And all this spawned from just the basic strategic map movement mechanic given to their race and the lore the devs crafted for it.

I would be interested in seeing what Starbound's devs could come up with if they ever decide to diversify all the individual race's starting crafting recipes with more unique elements and components to try and make every races more unique, especially with the races-specific armor traits.

It would be interesting if, with these and perhaps races-specific weapons, humans would get stuff leading people to see humans(much like any other races) as not the "Average Joes of the universe" but literally a fully fleshed out and unique race of their own.

And it's not like humans are lacking in traits to set them apart from other species. With research into early humans it already seem like that before we even began to develop advanced sentience, we were unique as literal endurance hunter.

We didn't need to outrun our prey. Just to outlast it, always one or two steps behind. But. Never. Stopping.
    Not until our prey would start collapsing out of exhaustion, unable to show any defense or escape anymore.

Humans were the Terminators of the prehistoric eras.

So it could be interesting to see human specific gears mimic that in the future. Not necessarily being the strongest or fastest hitting, but giving heapload of stamina and or health. Human guns might not be the strongest hitting or fastest shooting... but they would costs so little energy you could simply shoot them without any break, holding your opponents under a hail of constant and regular fire.

Whie their melee weapons might be average, Human armor might not give out the strongest damage boosts, but it might feature extremely good defense and health or stamina boost even if at a cost of slower mobility. After all, you don't need to need to defeat your enemy in one single swoop.

You only need to outlast them.

So it could be interesting to see humans as the "indomitable tanks" of the setting.
    Which in this case might add an interesting tweak to Earth's destruction in fact when you think about it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  16. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

Florans have a cool character. Not quite sure why, but they feel very likable. Maybe it's because of they refer to themselves in the third person or use too many s's. They have amusing phrases like "Floran not ready for the hunt" if you attack the civilians as well though. Nova Kids don't really feel like they have any of the charm Florans do, but hey, they're sentient balls of gas. That's kind of cool.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  17. stalkerfish

stalkerfish Intergalactic Tourist

Floran isss bessst

18. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

And necroing old topics isn't as stated in our Forum Rules.

Locking this topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.