1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are Florans and Novakid so popular?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by FloomRide, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deathedge736

Deathedge736 Giant Laser Beams

No adhd is not offensive to those of us who have it. our brains simply work differently then yours. we have a harder time learning to sit still and focus. Its no biggy.

you should change it back to ADHD by the way. it matches the creator's statement. besides that goldfish dont actually have a bad memory at all. its a common misconception.

So id say goldfish is actually not the better term.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  2. Taich

Taich Tentacle Wrangler

Deathedge I have ADHD too and frankly it's never gotten easier to concentrate

3. Princex Jee

Princex Jee Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It just doesn't add up, yeah. They literally reverse-engineer stuff from their memories and go from there as Bietol had stated before
    I kinda figured ADHD didn't have anything to do with memory stuff. I just thought I'd seen something somewhere about Novakid having kinda bad short-term memory, but hell if I remember :V

Not sure if that's sarcasm or not
    or if I'm missing smth in general

4. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

I mean, look to the other races, everyone has a strong and weak point, if Novakids weren't forgetful they would have no weak point

5. Deathedge736

It got easier over time for me. 2 friends i had during high school were getting better at it(not at the same rate) as well.

I have also met others who just couldn't get the hang of it.

my attention span is still shit tho. I cant stay focused on lectures for example.

I'm sorry you aren't having much luck with the concentration.

they perscribed me with adderall to make me easier to tolerate and control.

did they do the same with you?[DOUBLEPOST=1430621360][/DOUBLEPOST]
    the novakid weekpoint is that they dont record anything.

I really dont know where the memory thing came from.

I cant find anything from the creator of the race saying that about them

Never likes this.
  6. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

Yeah, I don't think nova kids have bad memory. They just don't record anything, so any advancements made in their civilization are lost after awhile. They just don't give a poo.

Taich likes this.
  7. Brentasaurus

Brentasaurus Void-Bound Voyager

Why are the Novas popular?:
    [​IMG]

Lintton and Dust like this.
  8. Taich

Taich Tentacle Wrangler

Because clockwork cowboys[DOUBLEPOST=1430837322][/DOUBLEPOST]
    yes from what I understand they just don't care about recording anything

9. Deathedge736

Do you think that its possible that someone read that and just assumed that meant bad memory?

10. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

It most likely was the case.

11. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

I don't think so, the developers created them a flaw for a reason, balance

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  12. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

The thing is, it was intended to be an example of their short attention spans, rather than just plain bad memory.

Never likes this.
  13. Deathedge736

this. I am pretty sure the bad memory was assumed by a few people and then spread a bit.

It is also worth noting that many people dont even know that some people think the novakid have bad memory.

14. TheAlpacassassin

TheAlpacassassin Void-Bound Voyager

I like playing Novakid simply because they are in-the-moment space cowboys who don't need a dark backstory because they simply don't care.
    Novakids just want to explore the universe and look cool doing it.

Kordharin, Brentasaurus and Taich like this.
  15. Gevouden

Gevouden Big Damn Hero

Novakids are fine , I like em, But I'm relly enjoying Apex myself . I like how everthing looks clean . Floran don't hold much appeal for me .

Actually, the only race I can say I don't want to play at all are the Avian. Because cloacas are gross.

16. dropdead

dropdead Big Damn Hero

I think every race but the humans have some annoying quirks, so I like the humans for the lack of annoying...ness - bland or not.
    So far I've never played an Apex since they are just hairy and somehow every single one at least SEEMS to have a beard.
    I've even played a Novakid and I liked the guy, although I missed other Novakids and other characters don't exactly really address THEM.

At the moment I am playing my first Avian but so far the feathery menace is just plain boring.

What I really liked (despite the general religious and snobish appearance) was that Hylotl I've played last. Solely for the reason his
    eyes always seemed to glow with the right background.

I've never really wanted to play Glitch because they I don't really like the customization options until they got the coolest pet of all the
    races IMHO. The piglet alone might make it worth my while, because it's adorable.

I wouldn't like the Florans at all if they weren't quite pleasing to look at. As soon as they start talking, I get twitchy.
    Aside from that it's immersion breaking if you closely look at things when playing a Floran. Because IF they have to have annoying speech patterns
    it should at least be consistent. I think they really need their own statements in the desriptions.

17. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Exactly what makes you twitchy? The poor grasp of grammar, ssssnake talk, their violent quotes, or all of them?

18. dropdead

dropdead Big Damn Hero

I am no native speaker and can sure make enough mistakes all alone but these Florans? I can see a five year old talking like this but plants that can use a space ship? Of course I know they are MEANT to be like this but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
    And their grasp of grammar is poor indeed but what really gets me are the damn 's' all over the place. Who the hell does it come from? A serious leakage in the mouth area? Whatever it is I hated it from the first moment on.

Their violent quotes are actually quite funny sometimes. One way Florans are quite simple: they don't know something and it might be dangerous? No problem - they'll just eat it. To make sure.

And now I'll stop - my eye is starting to twitch. X3

19. SheepyCloud

SheepyCloud Void-Bound Voyager

Carnivorous plant people. I love plant people. They seem pretty unique in design, honestly. I don't get to see a lot of plant-like races in video games, this also goes to people made of freakin' gas.

For me, it's because they're relatively unique and I don't seen a lot of it/haven't seen it before.

Plus I love the idea of a race that is similar to Native American culture. I mean, Avians are kind of like the Mayans-- but honestly. Avians are douches and they're pretty common to find dungeons, or cities for-- since there are like four different structures based on their race you can find. It also kind of shows that Avians are noticeably more common and after awhile seeing something common so many times becomes distasteful.

But then again most races have like a dungeon and also a city/village-- so the other races should be just as popular. But then again this goes back to being unique-- monkey people look like humans, regardless of them being different.

20. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

I got a theory, which is that they don´t usually communicate to each other by talking, but through chemical signals, so their spoken language may not be recorded by the PC´s translator, meaning that they actually talk in the PC´s language (As to how they know it, I got to guess they amy have learnt it from their breakfast or something), which means that it is just that "s" all over the place are simply an accent, while the grammar may be that they simply don´t have a good grasp in grammar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.