Whoops, sorry slime rancher...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pyrii, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Pyrii

Pyrii Existential Complex

So a thought struck me... how has Stardew Valley and it's overwhelming popularity affected Slime Rancher numbers and activity?

Unfortunately Slime rancher came out and is already getting kind of stale for some people so I guess that Stardew valley gives them a lot more to sink their teeth into, but Slime Rancher is definitely a much better slime... farming sim.

So let's see what happened when Stardew Valley launched.
    [​IMG]

Yikes, Slime Rancher saw nearly a 50% drop in players, buuuuut it looks like it might slowly start to pick up again. It's certainly an interesting statistic anyway.

I don't want to see any kind of competition between SV and SR, I think they can perfectly co-exist. I just thought it was something interesting to research and observe.

• heartphilia

heartphilia Subatomic Cosmonaut

Maybe because we all play SV fulltime and have already "finished it" :D And now that you say it... SV has slimes too! Coincidence?

• Maiden's Tear

Maiden's Tear Pangalactic Porcupine

Honestly it doesn't surprise me that a popular (or not so much) can have a decrease with new released I mean when I got skyrim my playtime in other games dropped dramatically for awhile. I guess also with the semi farm nature of slime rancher is overlap but from what I saw in a lets play kind of thing I felt like slime rancher was lacking in content and likely to never buy it. Granted on a stardew valley forum what do you expect when comparing games :nuruawe:.
        I would kind of count my 50 odd hour save as "finished" at least for main content and kind of burnt myself out but will likely return whenever I get the "harvest moon" itch or fancy the simple life...
        Still hovering on the forums that is more than I generally do.

• Pyrii

Pyrii Existential Complex

Yeah, unfortunately it feels like there is a lack of content in Slime Rancher. Games like Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley/Animal Crossing allow you to take your earnt money and use it to buy all sorts of items, cosmetic or otherwise. And Slime Rancher just feels like a linear progression without anything to make it feel like your home. Even Farming Simulator allows you to place items from helpful to cosmetic around your farm. You can change layouts etc of your fields so you can end up having a farm that is very much your own.

Lack of Content and subsequent burnout is a danger of early access, Starbound suffered from this a little. Stardew Valley was released as a finished game so it doesn't suffer from this.

I want Slime Rancher to succeed because it does take one thing and does it really well, I just feel there should be more to it.