which NPCs do you bond with first?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wronghandle, Aug 5, 2017.

1. wronghandle

wronghandle Star Wrangler

Although I don't worry too much about efficiency in profit growth, I do strategize about which recipes to unlock, er I mean which villagers to befriend first. The combat buff from Demetrius's friend mushrooms are a priority for me early in the game (i.e., the dreaded Era of Sucky Weapons). If I'm in a fishing build, I'll also work on quickly getting Clint and Linus up to 3 hearts for cheap energy.

I'm about ready to start a new build. Having never done a combat/mining focused run, I'm thinking through how that would change my approach. Free energy tonic from Pam seems like a good idea.

I'm curious - how do you folks prioritize which NPCs to bond with in Spring 1? Who do you leave for last?

Dougyhowzer likes this.
    • sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

Almost always Linus is my first friend. He's convenient to gift--I always know where to find him and he likes pretty much all wild forage. He also gives me the wild bait recipe, which I use for my rod.

Muny and wronghandle like this.
      • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

There are really no rhyme or reason behind my villager-befriending. I try to remember to give them a present on their birthday and then I stop by to say hi when I pass them, but that's about it. I never really "target" anyone except for the one I woo of course.

wronghandle likes this.
        • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

I usually seem to wind up with Leah and Linus on my early besties list. It's because we keep the same habits (i.e., wandering outside at all hours of the day and night and seldom going into town) and because they both love forage items as gifts, so if I'm out picking mushrooms or grabbing wild plums and Leah wanders by, I feel compelled to share. This isn't really a conscious choice; we're just naturally inclined to the same activities.

wronghandle likes this.
          • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I'm kinda like Minimanta, I don't really target anyone specifically and I don't befriend based on benefits. I do typically start making friends with Linus pretty early on, but that's because I like him, and I'll start talking to whichever single I'm going after in that save (which as been Seb on 3 out of 4 of my saves lol) fairly early in the game as well.

Outside of that, I don't worry overly much about making friends in year one, but when year 2 rolls around I start targeting whoever has a birthday that season and they become the focus for that season. They get gifts twice a week and of course a birthday gift, and if I see them I talk to them (though I don't always go out of my way to talk to them every day, even though I should). Generally by the end of year 2 I've got everyone all friended up.

MrToni300 and wronghandle like this.
            • Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Linus and m. Rasmodius.

wronghandle likes this.
              • Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"Friend mushrooms" sounds quite interesting, lol.

There are some NPCs I would go out of my way for purely because I like them, and some I end up befriending easily because they're always hanging out in high traffic areas (the Mullner house, pub regulars). Seb is like trying to photograph Bigfoot until he gets to two hearts. Please open the door, for the love of Yoba. I hear you typing in there.

George, Evelyn, and Linus were my first friends on my earliest save. I didn't know that NPCs send you items, so it was just about personality and convenience. Plus they have easy liked/loved gifts (as opposed to Alex, who I don't know if I've ever given a gift to). I honestly don't care about the gifts or recipes much, especially since I usually don't get the first house upgrade until year two.

I always chase after Shane in new saves even though I'm not planning on marrying him again.

And I'm always missing birthdays. Just like in real life. The only one I know by heart is the one I'm married to (Spring 20).

• LuthienNightwolf

Seb is *exactly* like my younger brother, he's always hiding in his room on his computer. lol

I always tell myself I'm not going to bother him until winter (as per my seasonal birthdays rule) but I just can't help it. I always end up "accidentally" running into him on his smoke break and shoving gifts in his face. >u< And once I have access to his room, well....

stardew_valley_love_by_dragonqueen101-d9v5lvo.jpg
                  (Disclaimer: NOT my art, this is always floating around on google and it was fitting. lol)

Seismothesaurus likes this.
                  • wronghandle

Oh jeez, I didn't catch that. Welp, I guess I have new head canon: the buff comes from the power of friendship.

Kinda matches my nickname for beer. The ony reason I ever brew beer is for bonding with Shane, so at some point I started calling it "buddy juice".

• Seismothesaurus

• LuthienNightwolf

• Seismothesaurus

The amount of times I've waited next to Marnie's front door to catch Shane on his way to work... I'm the personification of a jump scare.

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
                      • Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think the only one I've really made an effort to befriend is the Wizard for his clothes changing ability. :rofl: Although on my latest save I made the effort to befriend Shane for blue chickens. Otherwise Shane makes you feel like too much of a masochist. "Get lost!" "Fine, but I'll be back!" Otherwise I tend to befriend the ones I see the most often. Interestingly, this was different on my second save.

wronghandle likes this.
                        • Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

On my first farm it was Linus because I met him on my way to the farm and he likes foraging items which I always happen to have. These days I focus hard on my future wife. So Haley is on top of the list fast. Otherwise I only gift birthday presents and complete jobboard quests which made Demetrius my first friend on my current farm.

For meeting Seb the first time and giving him his birthday present or jobboard quest items, I always waited at the door to his room. Count me in on the "I jumpscare Seb for friendship" club.

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

It's not that hard to befriend Seb, once you know his schedule. Afair on most days he leaves his room at around 3 pm to go to the kitchen and then he smokes by the lake in the evening. Friday evenings he's at the saloon and saturdays he spends in town with Sam. On rainy days you can find him at the beach. And then you can find him at the railroad in some seasons. So you just have to catch him at one of these times :)

• Jack Of Shades

I made friends with him because I am, almost, sickeningly obsessed with magic and wizards of any type. And his enchanted haunted maze during the Spirits Eve Festival is fantastic. But when you talk to him about it, he nonchalantly acts like he pulled it up with no effort. The man is a GENIUS.

• MagicallyClueless

MagicallyClueless Master Astronaut

i mostly just try to befriend the people i like the most

since my husband is seb, i end up always getting affection up with him + robin, demetrius, and maru first. while i do them i usually talk to anyone i pass by but try to get affection up with all the bachelor/ettes just because i wanna get their events. everyone in the saloon i end up talking to and then i like visiting evelyn because she is a total cinnamon roll

• w00tl00ps

w00tl00ps Subatomic Cosmonaut

Leah, Linus and Willy. Linus was my original first friend. I remember playing the game the first time discovering that I had shared a kindred soul with the homeless man who was also rummaging through trashcans secretly at night, so no one would see the extent of my farmer's desperation... Don't judge me this was before I knew efficient ways to get energy!

It was game on the minute I discovered food the first time lol...

Jack Of Shades likes this.
                                  • Jack Of Shades

What are you talking about!? My farmer is a multimillionaire and I STILL rummage in trash cans. Its fun. :3

ScarletAurora and wronghandle like this.
                                    • wronghandle

I am a sucker for freebies. Trash cans, recycling machines, Pirate perk. Give me the free stuff!

newhpete likes this.