Modding Help Where is the appearance of the grappling hook/climbing rope rope defined?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by DraikNova, Jun 28, 2017.

1. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Basically, I want to make a grappling hook with a slightly different-looking rope, and I can't find any image whatsoever related to the actual rope part of the hook, so I was wondering if I just missed something or it's actually not a proper image-based thing but instead something hardcoded.

2. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It indeed not image-based, not hardcoded either; it's made with the /items/active/effects/renderrope.lua script, which uses drawable lines of a specified color (which, for grappling hooks, is defined in their item's "ropeColor" parameter). If you want to make an image-based rope you might need to fiddle with that script and /items/active/effects/renderrope.lua, which is used for the erchiuseye, gnomegun, relocator etc.'s ray thingy

3. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Thanks, I guess I'll just go with a simple single-color rope, then, if that's notably easier. I'm not too adept at reading lua yet; is there something in renderrope.lua that could let me give a rope thicker lines, or would I have to make a modified version of renderrope.lua to do that?

4. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes, grappling hooks have a "ropeWidth" parameter that is used

5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Ah, excellent. Guess I'll be able to use the vanilla renderrope.lua then.